Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

So what player might the Reds pick after the 10th round that is strongly committed to college, but could be swayed by a huge bonus?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    At this moment I'm hoping the Reds pick Moniak (since we're probably not going to get specifics on Perez's drug test).
    It was PEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Source: Braves have a deal in place with Ian Anderson for the third pick, but they are still considering other options.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It was PEDs.
    And we don't know what PEDs they were. Could have been Adderall, which would have been a dumb but not terribly egregious choice. Could have been clenbuterol from doped up meat. So, dependent on what it was, it could merit no reaction or be a glaring red flag. Since we don't know where on the spectrum his test falls, I'll assume he's probably not going #2.
    Last edited by M2; 06-09-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I don't think any MLB team is going to buy the "tainted meat" nonsense when it comes to Perez.

Also amusing thinking back on some of those scouting reports that said he was really starting to fill into his body. Ha, ya think?

And for those people that I've seen on this board that are shocked or even mildly surprised a 17-year-old kid would be on the juice ... I think you'd be shocked to learn how many high school football players in the U.S. are using PEDs. It's also rampant in college football of course. Let's just say I know this for a fact.

Callis and Mayo both have the Reds taking Senzel now

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/182933...icid=167757330

2. Reds
    Callis: Nick Senzel, 3B, Tennessee
    Puk didn't help himself with a lackluster start in the NCAA regionals on Saturday, and Cincinnati now appears poised to take Senzel regardless of what Philadelphia does.

Mayo: Nick Senzel, 3B, Tennessee
    The Reds do like Florida lefty A.J. Puk, too, but it appears they like Senzel, arguably the best college bat in the class, a bit better.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

cincyinco (06-09-2016),Donder (06-09-2016),Edd Roush (06-09-2016),marcshoe (06-09-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I don't think any MLB team is going to buy the "tainted meat" nonsense when it comes to Perez.

Also amusing thinking back on some of those scouting reports that said he was really starting to fill into his body. Ha, ya think?

And for those people that I've seen on this board that are shocked or even mildly surprised a 17-year-old kid would be on the juice ... I think you'd be shocked to learn how many high school football players in the U.S. are using PEDs. It's also rampant in college football of course. Let's just say I know this for a fact.
    That's the hidden tragedy in the PEDs story. It's not that NFL players destroyed their bodies taking those things, it's that they influenced people who should never be taking such drugs.

That said, the tainted meat thing is a very real deal and could be a valid explanation for the positive test. Us casual fans won't know until days or weeks from now, but it wouldn't surprise me if scouts have some idea of what it was.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Source: Braves have a deal in place with Ian Anderson for the third pick, but they are still considering other options.
    In fairness, the Braves also have deals in place with Martin Barre, Barriemore Barlow, and a cowbell supplier.

11. Likes:

boognish (06-09-2016),M2 (06-09-2016),texasdave (06-09-2016)

It's a serious issue in Central America. It's affected NFL players, soccer players, pro boxers and Olympians. I've got no idea whether it applies in Perez's case, but you'd have to have your head buried deep in the sand not to recognize it as a possibility.

13. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-09-2016)

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 417
Size:  34.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's a serious issue in Central America. It's affected NFL players, soccer players, pro boxers and Olympians. I've got no idea whether it applies in Perez's case, but you'd have to have your head buried deep in the sand not to recognize it as a possibility.
    I'd lean toward saying anyone who believes the tainted meat story (in Perez's case) is the one that has their head buried in the sand. What's the more likely scenario: A skinny baseball prospect taking PEDs to go high in the first round of the draft? Or that same player who has almost all his meals provided by him at his baseball academy testing positive for PEDs due to tainted meat? Pretty easy call for me.

Again, the proof will be in the pudding. If Perez drops like a rock, it will be clear that 30 out of 30 MLB teams believe his story is complete nonsense. If he still goes in the top 15 or so, perhaps there's something to it. We'll find out tonight.

I bet the Tigers take Perez in first round.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Wild prediction: Perez drops to #26 to the White Sox, who then trade him to Cincy in a package for Bruce.

18. Likes:

M2 (06-09-2016),Tom Servo (06-09-2016)

I'd lean toward saying anyone who believes the tainted meat story (in Perez's case) is the one that has their head buried in the sand. What's the more likely scenario: A skinny baseball prospect taking PEDs to go high in the first round of the draft? Or that same player who has almost all his meals provided by him at his baseball academy testing positive for PEDs due to tainted meat? Pretty easy call for me.

Again, the proof will be in the pudding. If Perez drops like a rock, it will be clear that 30 out of 30 MLB teams believe his story is complete nonsense. If he still goes in the top 15 or so, perhaps there's something to it. We'll find out tonight.
    You simply don't understand what's going on with the food supply in that part of the world. I'm not saying that's the reason for Perez's failed test, but it's a crisis-level problem for sporting bodies. Much of the population in Central American and Caribbean nations would fail a PED test. I suppose it is an easy call for you if you refuse to learn or know anything about what is becoming a widespread problem.

20. Likes:

membengal (06-09-2016),RedEye (06-09-2016),WrongVerb (06-09-2016)

Callis lists six guys who seemingly will want over-slot money: Blake Rutherford, Matt Manning, Joey Wentz, Jared Horn, Drew Mendoza and Will Benson. In addition, Groome has changed his commitment from Vandy to a junior college, which would seem to be a negotiating move. Which of these guys would light your fire at #35 or #43? Rutherford would seem like a no-brainer, but...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?