Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Callis lists six guys who seemingly will want over-slot money: Blake Rutherford, Matt Manning, Joey Wentz, Jared Horn, Drew Mendoza and Will Benson. In addition, Groome has changed his commitment from Vandy to a junior college, which would seem to be a negotiating move. Which of these guys would light your fire at #35 or #43? Rutherford would seem like a no-brainer, but...
    Rutherford and Mendoza for sure.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gimme Senzel and gimme Rutherford if he falls... I think we'd all be doing a happy dance.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-09-2016),OnBaseMachine (06-09-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Callis lists six guys who seemingly will want over-slot money: Blake Rutherford, Matt Manning, Joey Wentz, Jared Horn, Drew Mendoza and Will Benson. In addition, Groome has changed his commitment from Vandy to a junior college, which would seem to be a negotiating move. Which of these guys would light your fire at #35 or #43? Rutherford would seem like a no-brainer, but...
    Wentz for me.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Mitri (06-09-2016),Rojo (06-09-2016)

Why would anyone pay above slot for Mendoza? He should be happy to get whatever slot he gets. As for the others, I get asking for the cash, but they still don't have much of an alternative when the response comes back no. Sure, they can go to college, but it's probably not going to make them any more money than if they took the current offer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (06-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Wild prediction: Perez drops to #26 to the White Sox, who then trade him to Cincy in a package for Bruce.
    Not possible
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Keith Law's final mock is Puk to Reds. Interestingly, he says the Braves may go Ian Anderson at 3. That would be a shocker.

Also Law mentions the Reds are very high on Moniak, which is the first time I've heard that. I still think Reds will go Puk or Senzel, unfortunately.
    Name:  JAN-ANDERSON1.jpg
Views: 2300
Size:  162.4 KB

Probably for him as well (although "Aqualung" and "Thick As a Brick" still hold up pretty well).

11. Likes:

M2 (06-09-2016),Old school 1983 (06-09-2016),Rojo (06-09-2016),WrongVerb (06-09-2016)

I want Puk for 2 reasons.

1) From I've read, I believe Puk has the best chance to become an all star level contributor at the big league level and

2) The meltdowns a Puk pick would cause certain posters would bring weeks worth of entertainment.

13. Likes:

cincyinco (06-09-2016),REDREAD (06-10-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post

1) From I've read, I believe Puk has the best chance to become an all star level contributor at the big league level and

2) The meltdowns a Puk pick would cause certain posters would bring weeks worth of entertainment.
    Weeks? Try years.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

cincyinco (06-09-2016),Number_Fourteen (06-09-2016),REDREAD (06-10-2016),Tom Servo (06-09-2016),Tracy Jones (06-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Weeks? Try years.
    Se Lincecum, Tim

17. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Weeks? Try years.
    Lol could be. I don't think he'll be in the minors very long though (2-3 years tops) so if he's good, the meltdowns will cease.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post

I'm outspoken in my opinion. No Pukkin' way I want AJ. But if he's our pick (although I don't think he will be), I will put that aside and hope for the best like most others will. I would love to be wrong about him. He's a Gator (my first love) and then would be a Red (a relatively close 2nd), so I can't do anything but support him.

But honestly, my biggest objection to a Puk Pik, or if we PikPuk, is that this system needs BATS. And I don't buy the trading chip philosophy. It never translates. I'll crack open Pandora's Box a bit and reference the returns we've gotten on the 4 biggest chips we had to shop this offseason - Frazier/Chapman returns were low, haven't been able to move Bruce and we can't get BP to agree to be moved. Pikking players with designs on trading them to build necessitates a lot of external conditions we don't control. Barriers such as willing partners, market forces, contractual roadblocks and a 2 headed GM with divergent goals.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    May we know his name so as to follow?
    Patrick Riehl, he's a right handed pitcher from Mars Hill University in North Carolina. He's a very late bloomer type kid. He was late to develop physically and throws 8-10 mph harder now than in HS. His K rate is very good but has struggled with control after coming back from a minor arm surgery. He's a big bodied kid, 6-4 230lbs... He went to Cincy last week and threw 8-10 pitches and they stopped him because they wanted him to come back the next day and throw for Buckley when they had other prospects coming in. I don't know that he's going to be a Red but I know that he's been impressive lately, especially on the radar gun. He's going to be a bit of a project but he's a phenomenal kid from a great family. His draft stock has really took off despite not having huge college numbers.

I talked to one of the scouts and his arm was graded at a 65, so the upside is there.

21. Likes:

cincyinco (06-09-2016),Old school 1983 (06-09-2016),OnBaseMachine (06-09-2016),TheBigLebowski (06-09-2016),Tom Servo (06-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I'm outspoken in my opinion. No Pukkin' way I want AJ. But if he's our pick (although I don't think he will be), I will put that aside and hope for the best like most others will. I would love to be wrong about him. He's a Gator (my first love) and then would be a Red (a relatively close 2nd), so I can't do anything but support him.

But honestly, my biggest objection to a Puk Pik, or if we PikPuk, is that this system needs BATS. And I don't buy the trading chip philosophy. It never translates. I'll crack open Pandora's Box a bit and reference the returns we've gotten on the 4 biggest chips we had to shop this offseason - Frazier/Chapman returns were low, haven't been able to move Bruce and we can't get BP to agree to be moved. Pikking players with designs on trading them to build necessitates a lot of external conditions we don't control. Barriers such as willing partners, market forces, contractual roadblocks and a 2 headed GM with divergent goals.
    Dude,

drink another white russian and imagine how good of a baseball name Puk is.

I heard Mendoza wants $3mm and Groome wants $4mm. No idea of the specific $ amount for the other players.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Dude,

drink another white russian and imagine how good of a baseball name Puk is.
    I've already Pukkin' done that, man.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?