Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yes, there have been aliens.....

Yes, there have been aliens.....

.... and I'm not talking about the Orange Furry Dip****asorous, although that might explain a lot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/op...pgtype=article
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yes, there have been aliens.....

The probability of intelligent life somewhere other than here is huge. It appears to me that the only "proof" we're lacking right now is gov't acknowledgment. Actually they did acknowledge it briefly at Roswell but they later thought better of it and recanted. To me the question is can "we" handle the truth? I wish the word "yes" could easily slip out of my mouth in response to such a question but honestly I'm not so sure. I can understand why our gov't is reluctant to come clean on all of this. There are a myriad of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The probability of intelligent life somewhere other than here is huge. It appears to me that the only "proof" we're lacking right now is gov't acknowledgment. Actually they did acknowledge it briefly at Roswell but they later thought better of it and recanted. To me the question is can "we" handle the truth? I wish the word "yes" could easily slip out of my mouth in response to such a question but honestly I'm not so sure. I can understand why our gov't is reluctant to come clean on all of this. There are a myriad of reasons.
    Why couldn't we handle it? Like what do you think would happen?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why couldn't we handle it? Like what do you think would happen?
    They'd fear a doomsday attack. This would cause more people to give up on life, work etc. There'd also be strategic concerns. One country would be wary of another getting technological support from the aliens offsetting the balance of power. That would be very unsettling geopolitically. It could also have huge religious consequences. Historically we know the result of religious unrest and it's not pretty

I buy the religion part, but not sure about the other stuff. Sounds like a good movie, though.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I buy the religion part, but not sure about the other stuff. Sounds like a good movie, though.
    Religion, by itself, would be enough to make our civilization crumble. Heck, it is right now and has since the dawn of our beginnings.

I've heard a couple of great arguments over the years regarding whether we've been visited by alien cultures or not.

If a civilization had developed the technology to simply get her from another part of the universe, it stands to reason that they would be just as advanced in every other way. It would be like us viewing an ant farm. We feel no need to communicate with them.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I've heard a couple of great arguments over the years regarding whether we've been visited by alien cultures or not.

If a civilization had developed the technology to simply get her from another part of the universe, it stands to reason that they would be just as advanced in every other way. It would be like us viewing an ant farm. We feel no need to communicate with them.
    Or they could be watching over us?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

It doesn't appear that they're so advanced that they can't keep their flying machines from crashing. They're mortal. I wouldn't use the analogy of ants/humans. I think it's closer to European/Indian circa 1600.

I have recently heard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter The Great Filter is the leading argument against intelligence life reaching Earth:

The Great Filter[edit]
    With no evidence of intelligent life other than ourselves, it appears that the process of starting with a star and ending with "advanced explosive lasting life" must be unlikely. This implies that at least one step in this process must be improbable. Hanson's list, while incomplete, describes the following nine steps in an "evolutionary path" that results in the colonization of the observable universe:

The right star system (including organics and potentially habitable planets)
    Reproductive molecules (e.g., RNA)
    Simple (prokaryotic) single-cell life
    Complex (eukaryotic) single-cell life
    Sexual reproduction
    Multi-cell life
    Tool-using animals with big brains
    Where we are now
    Colonization explosion.
    According to the Great Filter hypothesis at least one of these steps — if the list were complete — must be improbable. If it's not an early step (i.e., in our past), then the implication is that the improbable step lies in our future and our prospects of reaching step 9 (interstellar colonization) are still bleak. If the past steps are likely, then many civilizations would have developed to the current level of the human species. However, none appear to have made it to step 9, or the Milky Way would be full of colonies. So perhaps step 9 is the unlikely one, and the only thing that appears likely to keep us from step 9 is some sort of catastrophe or the resource exhaustion leading to impossibility to make the step due to consumption of the available resources (like for example highly constrained energy resources).[6] So by this argument, finding multicellular life on Mars (provided it evolved independently) would be bad news, since it would imply steps 2–6 are easy, and hence only 1, 7, 8 or 9 (or some unknown step) could be the big problem.[4]

Although steps 1–8 have occurred on Earth, any one of these may be unlikely. If the first seven steps are necessary preconditions to calculating the likelihood (using the local environment) then an anthropically biased observer can infer nothing about the general probabilities from its (pre-determined) surroundings.

It doesn't appear that they're so advanced that they can't keep their flying machines from crashing. They're mortal. I wouldn't use the analogy of ants/humans. I think it's closer to European/Indian circa 1600.
    But even then the Indians(Native Americans) taught us Euro's stuff.

13. Likes:

marcshoe (06-13-2016),RedEye (06-14-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    But even then the Indians(Native Americans) taught us Euro's stuff.
    Exactly

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

They'd fear a doomsday attack. This would cause more people to give up on life, work etc. There'd also be strategic concerns. One country would be wary of another getting technological support from the aliens offsetting the balance of power. That would be very unsettling geopolitically. It could also have huge religious consequences. Historically we know the result of religious unrest and it's not pretty
    I don't buy the government thing. I fully believe they all, at least the power countries, know.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't buy the government thing. I fully believe they all, at least the power countries, know.
    I agree that they all know they exist but do they all know what (if any) contact its fellow country has with them? It's that doubt that's unsettling

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I agree that they all know they exist but do they all know what (if any) contact its fellow country has with them? It's that doubt that's unsettling
    Even so, that isn't something that would effect "us". They already know and either don't know or do know, but it's not causing governments to collapse.

Turn Off Ads?