Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,004 of 1004

Thread: 2017 Draft Discussion

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2017 Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    I see Bukauskas as Lincecum part 2. Up early, dominant for a while, potential to flame out young. It's that dominant part I'm interested in. Greene could have two plus plus pitches. B already does, including an 80 slider. Let that sink in for a moment. That's Chapman's fastball, BHam's speed territory, and it's not sitting off on some distant shore, it right there, right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All good points. And all reasons why the Twins would strongly consider Bukauskas as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

podgejeff_ (04-08-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    You're right. I mean even if we pick somebody other than Greene, it's going to be someone with serious potential. Bukaukus has ace potential, Royce Lewis could be Carlos Correa part 2, Kendall's ceiling is what, Griffey Jr? Not really as enamored with McKay but if he ends up as a better Mike Leake then that's pretty valuable as well.
    Heck, Austin Beck is becoming super intriguing and has a ton of helium right now. Kendalls stikeouts scare me but his talent is off the charts for sure.

I bragged Kendall up last week for cutting down on his K's. He's responded by going on another strikeout binge. Two last night, three tonight. The tools are tantalizing but the K's are a huge concern. I have one foot off the bandwagon...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I bragged Kendall up last week for cutting down on his K's. He's responded by going on another strikeout binge. Two last night, three tonight. The tools are tantalizing but the K's are a huge concern. I have one foot off the bandwagon...
    Is it just me, or does it seem like Kendall's weekends tend to go like this. Strikeouts on Friday, good day on Saturday, great on Sunday? Yuck
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

7. Likes:

cincyinco (04-08-2017),M2 (04-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Is it just me, or does it seem like Kendall's weekends tend to go like this. Strikeouts on Friday, good day on Saturday, great on Sunday? Yuck
    They're playing Thursday-Saturday this week.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

FWIW, quickie math has Kendall at 10-32 (.313) on first games of weekend series. 5 BB 10 K 2 HR
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

10. Likes:

SoTxRedsFan (04-08-2017)

McKay goes 7 innings with 1 walk and 11 Ks (5 hits, 2 runs) vs Wake Forest, a top 25 team.

12. Likes:

cincyinco (04-08-2017),NC Reds (04-08-2017),OnBaseMachine (04-08-2017)

We've talked about Seth Romero a bit as a possible comp/2nd round pick if he lasts that long, I didn't expect to hear this

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...8DqusPiIaM6.97
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'm not the only one who's noticed that? Good. Kendall is always facing the opposing team's ace on Friday nights. That's either a skill or makeup issue he's having going up against the other team's best. It is worrying.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    We've talked about Seth Romero a bit as a possible comp/2nd round pick if he lasts that long, I didn't expect to hear this

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...8DqusPiIaM6.97
    Sounds like drugs or alcohol.

16. Likes:

camisadelgolf (04-08-2017)

Austin Beck hit for the cycle last night...

Video: Beck's night (excluding HBP): 2B (w/ J.J. Abrams lens flare), 3B to RC, HR to LF & 1B (should've been P8). #mlbdraft

https://twitter.com/NathanRode/statu...39633209462784

That link includes video of the HR.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-08-2017)

The pattern is becoming pretty clear. I'm close to a hard no on him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

cincyinco (04-08-2017),Edd Roush (04-08-2017),RedlegJake (04-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I could. The crash-and-burn rate on prep arms is high. We thought we had an absolute steal in Robert Stephenson. He seemed like a can't-miss kid, but six years later we're still waiting for him to deliver. And that's a kid with no injuries. In Stephenson's case, at least he was a #27 pick, so it's not a tragedy if he never quite comes good.

At #2 it's the kind of pick where, if you take Greene and he's everything you hoped, you're a genius. Yet if it goes wrong, you need to be sent to gulag for taking that kind of risk. Also, everybody thought Jason Groome was a solid #1 at roughly this time last year, and he went at #12. We're looking at a highly fluid situation.

My take on Greene is I'm neither for nor against him, but the inherent risk factors mean I've got a ridiculously high bar for him.
    If Hunter Greene was your generic top HS arm I probably wouldn't go there at #2 because of the inherent risk / volatility of the profile, but Greene is a unicorn and I don't know how you pass on that kind of player.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-08-2017)

Nathan Rode tweeted back at me and said he views Beck as a late first round/early supplemental 1st rounder. I would be shocked if he fell that far. Stealing Beck at #32 to go with Greene/Bukauskas/McKay/Lewis at #2 would be an incredible haul.

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-08-2017),Tom Servo (04-08-2017)

Turn Off Ads?