Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft Discussion

Re: 2017 Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Maybe...if we end up trading Bruce and Cozart and go through another year like this one Seth Beer could, maybe, make it 'worth it'. I mean his stats in college this year as a 19 year old in his first year were just absolutely stupid. 1235 OPS in the ACC with 62 walks 27 KOs and 18 HRs............lol
    Beer may very well end up as the top player in the 2018 draft class. His bat is certainly exceptional for his age.

However, he's still very much a work in progress defensively, as he's likely to end up as a LF (if things break right) or a 1B (more likely). Clemson is moving him to first next season already. If he's just a 1B, that might knock his stock down some...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    When does the Cape cod league start? Anyone making a name for himself?
    Matt Davis from VCU might be having the best overall season to date in the CCBL.

.329/.407/.671 with 19 R, 4 2B, 2 3B, 6 HR, 16 RBI, 4 SB, and a 6/13 BB/K ratio.

Reds are only half a game behind the Twins for the second pick and two games behind the Braves for #1.

This is the Reds best chance to land an elite SS prospect. Mark Vientos?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Reds are only half a game behind the Twins for the second pick and two games behind the Braves for #1.

This is the Reds best chance to land an elite SS prospect. Mark Vientos?
    I agree, but do you think they will go that route after signing Rodriguez to such a big bonus? I'm guessing next year's top pick will be a guy who we can dream on as a TOR starting pitcher.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree, but do you think they will go that route after signing Rodriguez to such a big bonus? I'm guessing next year's top pick will be a guy who we can dream on as a TOR starting pitcher.
    If they pass on a franchise caliber SS because of the Alf Rod signing, that signing will become the gift that keeps on giving. I didn't think it was possible for the front office to do anything worse than the Chapman and Frazier trades, but the Alf Rod signing (and lack of further signings) seems to have defied the odds and eclipsed that incompetency.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If they pass on a franchise caliber SS because of the Alf Rod signing, that signing will become the gift that keeps on giving. I didn't think it was possible for the front office to do anything worse than the Chapman and Frazier trades, but the Alf Rod signing (and lack of further signings) seems to have defied the odds and eclipsed that incompetency.
    Well, that's just me speculating. It hasn't happened that way yet. Don't get too ticked off about it. I just think they signed Rodriguez to be the guy. Nothing else makes sense, given his bonus, his age, etc. If so, I hope he becomes a kinder gentler version of Jose Reyes. If not, I hope the next Machado is sitting there when the Reds pick.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I get thinking the Chapman and Frazier trades weren't good - but thinking it was impossible to do anything worse? I'm sure you've lived through more than a few worse decisions than those two. Heck, you saw them sign Eric Milton.

With the Reds loss today and Braves win, the Reds now sit only a game back of the first overall pick. The Twins have a 6-0 lead in the 6th inning. Reds will pass them if that score holds.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-10-2016)

I know he won't, but could Beer transfer to a JUCO and be draft eligible next year?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I really don't think you don't pass on elite talent in the draft or in international signings because you have other talent that recently acquired.

If you are the Reds, you take the elite talent when you can and then you figure out how to make it work.

The Reds aren't going to land elite, long-term talent through free agency or acquire it (as a MLB-proven product) through trades. So you get it when you can through the draft and international market (not at all saying AlfRod was elite, by the way). Positional surplus or scarcity should not be at the top of the priority chart.

I'd guess the kid from Ballard (Louisville, KY) will be hard to pass up, if only because he hits all the boxes, but Corey Ray is still fresh in my mind.

I suspect they'll once again focus on college talent. And a bat.

JJ Schwarz looks really interesting though he seems to be struggling in limited playing time on the Cape.

Jeren Kendall would be a fine addition as well. K issues for both are problematic.

With Williams taking over fully for Jocketty after this season have to wonder if the draft team stays in place with Buckley. I'd favor a new group but then I want Williams to remake the Reds whole staff from the FO, to manager, to coaches to development personnel (minor league coaches and managers). Not all at once shock and awe style but in stages. And a new draft philosophy might be a good place to start. And that's from a guy that thinks Buckley has done a pretty fair job. I just think it's time for a new direction overall and I'd prefer Williams grab the reigns and make this team his own. What I fear is status quo with cosmetic changes. A major change could affect the 2017 draft quite a bit.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-12-2016),Tom Servo (07-12-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    With Williams taking over fully for Jocketty after this season have to wonder if the draft team stays in place with Buckley. I'd favor a new group but then I want Williams to remake the Reds whole staff from the FO, to manager, to coaches to development personnel (minor league coaches and managers). Not all at once shock and awe style but in stages. And a new draft philosophy might be a good place to start. And that's from a guy that thinks Buckley has done a pretty fair job. I just think it's time for a new direction overall and I'd prefer Williams grab the reigns and make this team his own. What I fear is status quo with cosmetic changes. A major change could affect the 2017 draft quite a bit.
    I think we saw that change this year. The Reds focused all draft on offensive players who controlled the strike zone and took walks.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I know he won't, but could Beer transfer to a JUCO and be draft eligible next year?
    Yes, he could.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, he could.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

nmculbreth (07-13-2016),RedTeamGo! (07-12-2016),RiverRat13 (07-12-2016)

Turn Off Ads?