I knew he wasn't in good shape.

RIP Coach

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buddy Ryan passes

He did well to make it to 82

4. Likes:

Dom Heffner (06-28-2016)

One of best defensive coaches of all time. That 1985 Bears team is still the best NFL team for one season I have ever seen. They totally dominated just about everyone they played. He was on the ESPN 30 for 30 show about the 85 Bears team and was in bad shape then. He couldn't speak and IIRC not able to get around much at all. RIP Buddy Ryan.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-29-2016),Dom Heffner (06-28-2016),Revering4Blue (06-28-2016)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    One of best defensive coaches of all time. That 1985 Bears team is still the best NFL team for one season I have ever seen. They totally dominated just about everyone they played.
    That '85 team was something else. The only thing I wish would have happened...would have been if they got a second shot at Miami.

One of best defensive coaches of all time. That 1985 Bears team is still the best NFL team for one season I have ever seen. They totally dominated just about everyone they played. He was on the ESPN 30 for 30 show about the 85 Bears team and was in bad shape then. He couldn't speak and IIRC not able to get around much at all. RIP Buddy Ryan.
    In bad shape? Did he have a stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I do believe that he had had a stroke and was also battling cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I assumed a stroke. They didn't say in the program what was wrong with him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    That '85 team was something else. The only thing I wish would have happened...would have been if they got a second shot at Miami.
    I wish they had let Payton score a TD late in that game instead of the Fridge. Payton was such a long time part of that organization he deserved that little bit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

goreds2 (06-28-2016),Revering4Blue (06-28-2016)

I wish they had let Payton score a TD late in that game instead of the Fridge. Payton was such a long time part of that organization he deserved that little bit.
    Yeah, Ditka regrets it to this day.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-28-2016),goreds2 (06-28-2016)

Kinda funny, I was thinking about this yesterday. The Ryans (Buddy, Rex, and Rob) are better known for their brashness then what they do on the field. The three are very good defensive minds and coordinators, but pretty mediocre at the HC spot.

16. Likes:

Chip R (06-29-2016),cumberlandreds (06-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Kinda funny, I was thinking about this yesterday. The Ryans (Buddy, Rex, and Rob) are better known for their brashness then what they do on the field. The three are very good defensive minds and coordinators, but pretty mediocre at the HC spot.
    Buddy did just fine with the Eagles although I don think he won a play-off game. Rex has had his teams in two AFC championship games.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Buddy did just fine with the Eagles although I don think he won a play-off game. Rex has had his teams in two AFC championship games.
    Buddy has the same HC record as Marvin Lewis does, although Marv has done it over a longer period of time. Both have struggled in the playoffs, and both coached great defenses. I would hardly call Marv a legendary coach.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Buddy has the same HC record as Marvin Lewis does, although Marv has done it over a longer period of time. Both have struggled in the playoffs, and both coached great defenses. I would hardly call Marv a legendary coach.
    LOL.......Marv is not legendary, yet.......you just never know. Buddy is credited for being an innovator and add to that he was with the '85 Bears.

Buddy made his bones with the Jets of the late 60s as a linebacker coach. In 1968 they led the league in defense. He was also the defensive coordinator of the Vikings from 1976-1978.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-29-2016),Revering4Blue (06-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Buddy made his bones with the Jets of the late 60s as a linebacker coach. In 1968 they led the league in defense. He was also the defensive coordinator of the Vikings from 1976-1978.
    I am too young for the Jets.......but those Viking teams were something else.

23. Likes:

Chip R (06-29-2016),Revering4Blue (06-29-2016)

Turn Off Ads?