Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buddy Ryan passes

Re: Buddy Ryan passes

Jeff Fisher hired Mike Singletary to be an Assistant with the Rams today. They were teammates under Ryan. It's not right that Singletary hasn't had a Coaching gig since 2011. He's too important to the game not to be a part of it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

The '86 Giants Defense was overshadowed by the '85 Bears.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Kinda funny, I was thinking about this yesterday. The Ryans (Buddy, Rex, and Rob) are better known for their brashness then what they do on the field. The three are very good defensive minds and coordinators, but pretty mediocre at the HC spot.
    I take issue with Rob getting the label as a good defensive coach. It seems to me most every defense he coordinates ends up suckin'...

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-30-2016),Revering4Blue (06-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Jeff Fisher hired Mike Singletary to be an Assistant with the Rams today. They were teammates under Ryan. It's not right that Singletary hasn't had a Coaching gig since 2011. He's too important to the game not to be a part of it.
    He seems like a very admirable and respectful guy but he was terrible as a head coach. I can't speak to his other coaching abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He seems like a very admirable and respectful guy but he was terrible as a head coach. I can't speak to his other coaching abilities
    He wasn't any worse than Marvin his first several seasons. Singletary had a difficult task at SF. After that, he should still have been a DC, or a LB's Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I take issue with Rob getting the label as a good defensive coach. It seems to me most every defense he coordinates ends up suckin'...
    He's been terrible with the Eagles, and wasn't very good with the Browns.

He's been terrible with the Eagles, and wasn't very good with the Browns.
    How 'bout New Orleans? Can't get much worse than that

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-30-2016),Kingspoint (06-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I wish they had let Payton score a TD late in that game instead of the Fridge. Payton was such a long time part of that organization he deserved that little bit.
    I too would have liked to have seen Payton score a TD in that Super Bowl, but in the 30 for 30 show Jim McMahon discussed how the Bears had given the ball to Payton quite a bit near the goal line without Payton being able to score as New England was concentrating its defense on Payton. In a replay McMahon pointed out why he kept the ball himself on a play and scored as several Patriots defenders followed Payton.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

12. Likes:

Chip R (06-30-2016)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I too would have liked to have seen Payton score a TD in that Super Bowl, but in the 30 for 30 show Jim McMahon discussed how the Bears had given the ball to Payton quite a bit near the goal line without Payton being able to score as New England was concentrating its defense on Payton. In a replay McMahon pointed out why he kept the ball himself on a play and scored as several Patriots defenders followed Payton.
    Are you trying to say New England actually played defense?

Jim Harbaugh made it work. Singletary got his chance, and it didn't go well in SF, heck I remember two things from that team. Troy Smith and Singletary offering to pull down his pants to prove his manhood. Sometimes great players aren't good coaches. Singletary was such an instinctive LB, its hard to teach that as well as expect that of someone else.

For my money, the 1999-2000 Ravens had the most dominating defense I have ever seen. They won a SB with Trent Dilfer playing a bad game for Trent Dilfer. That is saying something!

Jim Harbaugh made it work. Singletary got his chance, and it didn't go well in SF, heck I remember two things from that team. Troy Smith and Singletary offering to pull down his pants to prove his manhood. Sometimes great players aren't good coaches. Singletary was such an instinctive LB, its hard to teach that as well as expect that of someone else.

For my money, the 1999-2000 Ravens had the most dominating defense I have ever seen. They won a SB with Trent Dilfer playing a bad game for Trent Dilfer. That is saying something!
    Like Ryan, Singletary may have not been successful as a head coach but he might be a good assistant. There are a lot of guys out there who excel at being an assistant but for one reason or another, fail as a head coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Like Ryan, Singletary may have not been successful as a head coach but he might be a good assistant. There are a lot of guys out there who excel at being an assistant but for one reason or another, fail as a head coach.
    In all fairness to Mike, he originally was an interim HC for the Niners and then was offered the job. I think the jury is still out on whether he can be a good HC or not.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-30-2016)

The '86 Giants would have beaten that Ravens team.

Buddy would have had problems with the thread title.

He hated quarterbacks and their passes.

Turn Off Ads?