Turn Off Ads?
Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576
Results 1,126 to 1,137 of 1137

Thread: 2016-17 NBA Season

Re: 2016-17 NBA Season

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I was wrong in believing that New Jersey would include a future draft pick. Instead, it was a player Portland will immediately waive, use the stretch provision on him, and pay his $19.1M contract equally over seven seasons. They cut a $40M tax penalty next season to $3M.

Crabbe waived his "trade kicker", probably after being told his minutes around here would be cut by 1000 (2200 to 1200). In New Jersey, he should start and get closer to 2400 minutes, while getting more shot attempts than in Portland. He should average 18.0+ there.

Portland had to wait one year after they matched his RFA offer last season to trade him, per NBA rules.
    Bad trade for the Blazers. Shows how poorly they performed in free agency last year - the year they were supposed to make a splash in free agency. Olshey should be embarrassed.

After unloading the bank for Evan Turner and Crabbe and signing Meyers Leonard for too much and Moe Harkless to a reasonable contract, the Blazers are so hamstrung that they have to unload the one 2016 guy of significant value for nothing. It's essentially the same as letting him walk one year later, but the team is also stuck with Turner and Leonard's garbage contracts (that are somehow even worse now that the 2016 summer looks like a salary peak). Nurkic is going to need big money after this season and that'll be the Blazers big three going forward; Lillard, McCollum and Nurkic. That's not even a top four team in the West.

Unless the Crabbe move is a precursor to a bigger move, like Melo coming to town, hope Blazers fans are ready to board the treadmill of mediocrity for the next half decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As good as a future 2nd, and actually better, is the $12.1M Trade Exception they receive with this deal.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Bad trade for the Blazers. Shows how poorly they performed in free agency last year - the year they were supposed to make a splash in free agency. Olshey should be embarrassed.

After unloading the bank for Evan Turner and Crabbe and signing Meyers Leonard for too much and Moe Harkless to a reasonable contract, the Blazers are so hamstrung that they have to unload the one 2016 guy of significant value for nothing. It's essentially the same as letting him walk one year later, but the team is also stuck with Turner and Leonard's garbage contracts (that are somehow even worse now that the 2016 summer looks like a salary peak). Nurkic is going to need big money after this season and that'll be the Blazers big three going forward; Lillard, McCollum and Nurkic. That's not even a top four team in the West.

Unless the Crabbe move is a precursor to a bigger move, like Melo coming to town, hope Blazers fans are ready to board the treadmill of mediocrity for the next half decade.
    Meyers Leonard was not signed for "too much". No 7-footer with his athleticism and excellent shooting abilities and is still a rising prospect (it takes bigs many more years to mature), who can hold his own physically against the Cousins' and Gasols of the NBA is getting paid too much at $10M per year through 2019-20. $10M is chump change the next three years.

Crabbe was "the one 2016 guy of significant value"? While he was one of only two players in the NBA to take 300 "3's" while shooting the percentage he shot, Crabbe was the only player on the team who didn't improve his overall game from the season before. The Blazers's Beat Writer used those exact words and I and most who watched him on a regular basis agree. Had he improved, this deal would not have been made. But, as Damian Lillard said yesterday, when some players reach a point of success, their mind turns off and the desire to keep improving stops That happened to Crabbe last season. He rested on his laurels and had an identical season to the year before. At one time a few years ago, Crabbe showed promise Defensively. That idea is completely gone. Crabbe is a sub-par defender.

Crabbe on the floor at the same time as Lillard and C.J made them absolutely terrible on Defense, yet, those three were together often. Crabbe is also a poor passer and an extremely lazy rebounder and loose ball gatherer. All he does is shoot, though he's a marksman at it. That's a 12-15 minute per game player. Bur, the Blazers don't need him. Shooters they have.

For Crabbe to work, because he can't pass, there needs to be three passers and three defenders on the floor at the same time. So, Lillard or C.J. need to be off the floor but, that removes a passer, so another passer has to be on the floor, Turner. Crabbe simply offered very little roster flexibility. Connaughton can pass, rebound and shoot. He can't play Defense, yet, but he hasn't been given the minutes. Napier is a pure Point Guard, can shoot well, rebound and plays good Defense. The Blazers are bettermost of the time with anyone on the floor other than Crabbe. If Crabbe shot the ball when he was on the floor, it would be different, but he's too passive of a shooter, a very bad thing when all you do well is shoot, while doing everything else subpar.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Meyers Leonard was not signed for "too much". No 7-footer with his athleticism and excellent shooting abilities and is still a rising prospect (it takes bigs many more years to mature), who can hold his own physically against the Cousins' and Gasols of the NBA is getting paid too much at $10M per year through 2019-20. $10M is chump change the next three years.

Crabbe was "the one 2016 guy of significant value"? While he was one of only two players in the NBA to take 300 "3's" while shooting the percentage he shot, Crabbe was the only player on the team who didn't improve his overall game from the season before. The Blazers's Beat Writer used those exact words and I and most who watched him on a regular basis agree. Had he improved, this deal would not have been made. But, as Damian Lillard said yesterday, when some players reach a point of success, their mind turns off and the desire to keep improving stops That happened to Crabbe last season. He rested on his laurels and had an identical season to the year before. At one time a few years ago, Crabbe showed promise Defensively. That idea is completely gone. Crabbe is a sub-par defender.

Crabbe on the floor at the same time as Lillard and C.J made them absolutely terrible on Defense, yet, those three were together often. Crabbe is also a poor passer and an extremely lazy rebounder and loose ball gatherer. All he does is shoot, though he's a marksman at it. That's a 12-15 minute per game player. Bur, the Blazers don't need him. Shooters they have.

For Crabbe to work, because he can't pass, there needs to be three passers and three defenders on the floor at the same time. So, Lillard or C.J. need to be off the floor but, that removes a passer, so another passer has to be on the floor, Turner. Crabbe simply offered very little roster flexibility. Connaughton can pass, rebound and shoot. He can't play Defense, yet, but he hasn't been given the minutes. Napier is a pure Point Guard, can shoot well, rebound and plays good Defense. The Blazers are bettermost of the time with anyone on the floor other than Crabbe. If Crabbe shot the ball when he was on the floor, it would be different, but he's too passive of a shooter, a very bad thing when all you do well is shoot, while doing everything else subpar.
    First, I respect and appreciate your opinion on these boards, so no offense intended here.

I haven't seen the second round pick mentioned anywhere. Likely that trade exception will be turned into one come the deadline, but at present it was Crabbe for Nicholson straight up. Nicholson was immediately waived, meaning this trade is little more than a salary dump, which itself is the Blazers admitting to a bad contract.

Crabbe is never going to be an all star, but he's a player with some value. He's pretty limited (which his PER attests to), but the one skill he happens to have is the NBA's most valuable skill. He lit it up this year (second best from three in the league) and the fact that you couldn't extract any value from a stretchy, 25-year-old with a great stroke tells you what kind of contract he was on.

It's probably too early to say Leonard is overpaid. He was hurt last year, but the shooting percentages fell off a cliff and while he's not afraid to bang bodies, I don't know anybody that would call him anything but an average defender.

I'd like to think the Blazers are loading up to make a run this year or next. They're unlikely to beat the Warriors, but their core is entering their collective prime. I want the Blazers to add pieces right now. Not dump salaries. I realize this is a move made for the long-term, but it doesn't help the team in the short-run. And that's due to Olshey shelling out $140 million on mediocre pieces like Crabbe and Evan Turner.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-25-2017)

The last two seasons, Portland's goal was to acquire as many assets as they could. That they reached the 2nd Rd and 1st Rd bowing out to the Warriors each time, while leading them in the first one most of the series, was a bonus.

They did an A+ job acquiring assets.

They acquired Noah Vonleh and developed him well the last two years. He remains on pace to be the starting Power Forward with shooting range, good rebounding abilities, Defensive awareness and abilities to guard multiple positions and anyone over 225.

They acquired Mason Plumlee, who learned how to be a facilitator from the high post in Stotts' Offense, where Nurkic could step right in as a facilitator from the high post. They added Memphis' pick they got for Mason to help acquire Nurkic's future backup in Zach Collins.

Crabbe's inability to play Defense, Rebound and pass required that they obtain Evan Turner, whose multiple injuries last season and transition to the system prevented him from making the impact on the team he was brought in to make. He will make tgat impact this season as Turner is a great compliment to Lillard and C.J. Turner is needed on the team unless another facilitator took his place. The team is better by subtraction with Crabbe gone.

Aminu and Davis were both excellent contracts.

That Olshey maximized the number of assets he acquired last season knowing he would have no money to do so this season. Without Crabbe's contract, they are still $3M over the cap. Had they not signed Leonard, they would still be only $7M under the cap, hardly enough to add anyone of significance in Free Agency.....who would want to come to Portland AND where there would be any minutes for them.

Instead, Olshey, smartly, matched Crabbe's contract and turned it into a $12.1M Trade Exception, while they still have Leonard under a cheap contract, instead of only $7M to spend and no Leonard to continue to develop.

Bill, I always want to be careful that I don't offend you as I enjoy your comments and appreciate your input.

Instead, Olshey, smartly, matched Crabbe's contract and turned it into a $12.1M Trade Exception, while they still have Leonard under a cheap contract, instead of only $7M to spend and no Leonard to continue to develop.
    I suppose this is the crux of it. Probably a little keyed up after the George and Melo talk recently. It's not necessarily a bad move, but it's more treading water than trying to move into the Warriors///Rockets/Spurs/Thunder class. I like the young core, and there's definitely some internal improvement still on the table (especially with Stotts at the helm), but I think it's time to push Allen's chips in this year or next.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-25-2017)

Everyone around here knows that Meyers Leonard suffers from confidence issues. Most of the Blazer fans in Portland I can't stand. They are pretty putrid. They have treated Meyers like crap from Day1. He has never backlashed at them and always remained professional. He lost a year of time from Diaw's judo move that separated his shoulder. He got married, last Summer, I believe. That is helping his confidence off the floor, but only success on the floor will bring him confidence there.

Until the Nurkc trade, Leonard was the Center of the future. Nurkic's immediate success took a world of pressure off of Leonard turning his future upside to backup Center and Stretch-4, a position he's probably more suited for. They then drafted Nurkic's backup Center, but someone in Collins who is years away via the weight room before he's ready to assume that role. That buys Meyers some time to prove himself. But, they also drafted their future Stretch-4 in Swanigan, who along with Vonleh and Leonard will battle this year to prove who is the best Stretch-4. Right now, it's Leonard, then Vonleh, then Swanigan. By March, I expect it to be Vonleh, Leonard, then Swanigan with all three on the rise and Swanigan rising the fastest. Aminu is still at least a year ahead of all of them.

Leonard's contract and Turner's will be more valuable next Summer.

They did not get any picks in the deal.

I'm excited to see what Connaughton can do with some minutes,...Napier, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I suppose this is the crux of it. Probably a little keyed up after the George and Melo talk recently. It's not necessarily a bad move, but it's more treading water than trying to move into the Warriors///Rockets/Spurs/Thunder class. I like the young core, and there's definitely some internal improvement still on the table (especially with Stotts at the helm), but I think it's time to push Allen's chips in this year or next.
    Lillard is definitely not happy seeing all these teams out West improving this Summer and the Blazers drafting a Center too scrawny to contribute positively for at last two years, and a PF who will struggle to find minutes.

Thus Olshey trying to appease him by making the all three draft picks plus a player for George, and the refusal to help Houston get Anthony while trying to get Anthony instead.

Dame goes into every season believing he can win it all, and it's wearing on him exiting after the 1st and 2nd rounds every year. He wants to get to the Conference Championship. The best way to do that is to avoid being the 4th, 5th and 8th seeds, so you don't meet the Warriors until the Conference Finals. So, the goal is the #2 seed. I think they can get it. Nurkic, Turner and Ed Davis are that good. They are additions to last year's roster. Turner missed basically half the season, and he was just hitting hus stride,....everyone saw it as he was the reason, along with Dame, why they started playing better, and then he was done for the year from a freak accident. Ed Davis missed the last 2-1/2 months. Nurkic only pkayed 20 games, and completely changed the entire team into one if the five best in the NBA, and that was without Turner and Davis.

Harkless and Vonleh improve in all areas every year. They will do it again, as will Ed Davis, a bull of a worker. Portland is no longer weak in the middle, while they have good rim-protection. They are at the very least, an average Defense, instead of the poor one they were last season pre-nurkic, and could easily finish Top-10 in defensive efficiency.

In bold are my comments about a post I made April 20th after the Blazers were blown out Game 3:

Having the 15th, 20th and 26th picks, and Allen's money to buy a second-round pick will give Portland some good options to fix the imbalance in their lineup. Vonleh will one day be the starting PF (he is now and would have been sooner had an injury not forced him to miss all of training camp and the first couple weeks of the season), but a backup Center for Nurkic who can protect the rim (Zach Collins) ,and another big to compete with Vonleh (Caleb Swanigan) , will help balance the lineup. I think two of the solutions are already on the team in Connaughton and Napier, but they can't get any minutes (had to get rid of Crabbe and his 2300 minutes, as both players are better right now than Crabbe ever was in his career) , which comes back to the main problem. Lillard isn't a PG, so they have two "small" Shooting Guards playing too many minutes (before he sat the last two games, CJ was leading the league in miles ran on the court), who are defensive liabilities, Lillard much moreso than McCollum. (Connaughton is 6'5", while Napier is a plus defender) . I thought it was a roster design that had zero chance of winning a title and still do. Nurkic fixes a lot of that problem. Someone like Millsap could complete the fix....until injury or foul trouble to Millsap (Out 3-4 months now, and glad we didn't add him) or Nurkic.

Olshey will have another busy Summer. The Blazers' nutritional team is going to turn Nurkic into a lighter, stronger and more durable version of himself. (Nurkic did all the work of dopping 35 pounds over the Summer back home in Bosnia, but there was a Blazer Trainer with him the whole time helping him out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    As for Ojeleye, I actually believe that #21 is too low for him talent wise. Were Portland to offer the Kings #15 and #20 for #10 --- the idea to snare Zach Collins and utilize #26 for wing help, as there will be plenty available then --- Ojeleye would be a great pick for Sacto with either #15 or #20.
    Just sayin', you nailed the Portland pick (on my birthday, June 4th, no less).

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-03-2017)

Turn Off Ads?