Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon GO

Pokémon GO

Just thought it might be worth having a thread about this phenomenon. I don't play, but my son, who is 7, is chomping at the bit to get me to download it.

Just in the past week, there have been a number of different stories about it including...

Servers crashing under demand

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7140691.html

2 men falling down a cliff while playing

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...386743551.html

Stampedes of players in Central Park

http://gothamist.com/2016/07/16/watc..._go_player.php

Players finding dead bodies

http://kotaku.com/pokemon-go-players...ody-1783705603

* Wasn't sure whether this should be a thread in Arts & Entertainment or not, since some of the stories extend well beyond that. Anyway, mods, feel free to move it if it is inappropriate here.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-16-2016 at 11:49 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Pokémon GO

Is there money involved here? If not then I just don't get it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I'm sure some make money involved, but there is none that is officially part of the game as far as I know.

Honestly, I think the idea is kind of cool -- getting people out into the world as opposed to sitting inside on their phones all the time. Now, whether or not they actually *see* the world as they try to catch their Pokémon is another question...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-17-2016),WrongVerb (07-17-2016)

I'm in my 20s and have made it this far without a REAL understanding of what Pokemon is exactly.
    But man I've had so many daily run ins with these pokemon players lately. I was literally trying to find some good lemons to buy at food lion today and some woman with gray hair literally walked into me and just kept on going. Felt like I was in her way haha.

Oh and of the tin foil hatters are right, and this is actually a CIA/NSA made app, it would have to go down as the most successful surveillance op of all time. Cuz from my POV, like everyone but me is playing.
    Last edited by Stray; 07-16-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Is there money involved here? If not then I just don't get it.
    Sure there is money involved, just not for the players

Pokémon Go has added nearly $11 billion to the value of Nintendo since its release.

9. Likes:

IslandRed (07-20-2016),TRF (07-18-2016),WrongVerb (07-17-2016)

Augmented reality is going to be such a big deal. Maybe more than virtual reality.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

WrongVerb (07-17-2016)

Martin Shkreli asks court if he can go play Pokemon Go:

In the middle of court Shkreli, who is currently standing trial accused of fraud, asked his criminal defence lawyer: ‘Can I go play Pokemon now?’
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

There was a pub crawl all across OTR for it last night, got down to Washington Park too, it was a good time.

Sure as hell has made this city a lot more sociable, I know that for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm sure some make money involved, but there is none that is officially part of the game as far as I know.

Honestly, I think the idea is kind of cool -- getting people out into the world as opposed to sitting inside on their phones all the time. Now, whether or not they actually *see* the world as they try to catch their Pokémon is another question...
    Yes there are in app transactions, but they are pretty much completely optional.

14. Likes:

Joseph (07-17-2016),RedTeamGo! (07-17-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

People. Are. Nuts.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Meanwhile, from the not specifically overly negative coverage of the phenomenon...

http://www.wcpo.com/entertainment/en...b-crawl-in-otr

There's apparently a Meetup group for it now too, met them last night while I stopped at 16-bit down on Walnut. Nice people. Looking forward to hanging out with them again when they meetup later this week.

17. Likes:

919191 (07-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    People. Are. Nuts.
    While I have zero interest or desire to play Pokemon anything, there are those who think the same things about folks like us who post on message boards.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

19. Likes:

BillDoran (07-31-2016),Degenerate39 (07-20-2016),RiverRat13 (07-18-2016)

I've never played, but sometimes Pokemoni appear in front of me in real life. I should probably talk to a doctor.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

21. Likes:

Degenerate39 (07-20-2016),Rojo (08-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I've never played, but sometimes Pokemoni appear in front of me in real life. I should probably talk to a doctor.
    If he gives you a pill that makes your erection last more than four hours, go find a Pokemon gym. (whatever that is)

Name:  5730d4cb15eba43828eb3aca75ae49bd0a36a1149b686a17cf22664a886f8388_1.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  54.0 KB
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

24. Likes:

RFS62 (07-17-2016)

Turn Off Ads?