Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Alfredo Rodriguez

Alfredo Rodriguez

He was hit by pitch in the 5th inning today and replaced with a pinch runner. Does anyone know how serious it is?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alfredo Rodriguez

The DSL Reds played today; Rodriguez didn't.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (07-26-2016),texasdave (07-25-2016)

From the game logs, looks like Alf started playing again on Aug 8.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ng/2016/MINORS
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

BillDoran (08-15-2016),Redeyecat (08-15-2016)

Opinions on his timeline everyone;

I tend to think he's going to be a quick mover. I know he only has a .632 OPS this year in the DSL but it's 77 PAs after a long lay-off and amounts to little more than Spring Trainnig IMO. I'm guessing the Reds will get him some PAs somewhere this winter and bring him to big league camp. He's not a super young kid. He'll be 23 in June. The Reds didn't pay $9 Million+ counting penalties for a 3 or 4 year development plan IMO. His glove is supposed to be stupendous right now and I'm guessing he'll start out in High A or AA next year with Cincy in sight by the end of the year. I'd say the latest we'll see him as the every day SS in Cincy is Super Two date 2018. I think it will be sooner.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

His home/away splits were weird in the DSL

22 games played

Home
    11 games, 135/267/162 429 OPS

Away
    11 games 325/396/425 821 OPS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Opinions on his timeline everyone;

I tend to think he's going to be a quick mover. I know he only has a .632 OPS this year in the DSL but it's 77 PAs after a long lay-off and amounts to little more than Spring Trainnig IMO. I'm guessing the Reds will get him some PAs somewhere this winter and bring him to big league camp. He's not a super young kid. He'll be 23 in June. The Reds didn't pay $9 Million+ counting penalties for a 3 or 4 year development plan IMO. His glove is supposed to be stupendous right now and I'm guessing he'll start out in High A or AA next year with Cincy in sight by the end of the year. I'd say the latest we'll see him as the every day SS in Cincy is Super Two date 2018. I think it will be sooner.
    IMO Super Two date in 2018 is the earliest date for Alf Rod, not the latest. Unless he immediately proves to be a much better hitter than expected.

The Reds have Peraza for shortstop in the near term.

Rodriguez hadn't played for about 1 1/2 seasons before this season. He played, what, 22 games this season. Moving to the US after this long layoff, I think this process will take time and the Reds know it.

Peraza gives them the cushion to take it a bit slower with Alf Rod. I think the Reds this year put Peraza at SS knowing that there will soon be a need there, if only short term.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-05-2016 at 11:15 AM.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (09-06-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

2-3 years. I think he's really going to struggle to hit, and if he's not hitting, I don't care how good his defense is, you can't just push him through at a quick pace.

12. Likes:

texasdave (09-05-2016)

14. Likes:

Jordan (09-06-2016)

I guess that I think the Reds knew he wasn't going to hit much when they signed him and gave him all that money anyway because of his glove. If his glove is good enough to justify a .650 OPS, it's probably good enough to justify .525. I don't see them waiting for that difference to show up. One thing I think is that this team's MO is that he's going to be this team's primary SS for at least 3 years no matter how much he hits. I think they'll bring him up, let him wow people with his glove and wait to see if he hits eventually. I'd guess Cozart stays until the deadline and Alf will get a chance after he's gone. I don't really think they view Peraza as a day in, day out SS. He can play there, but my guess is they don't want him their every day. Why blow the international budget on Alf if they think so? If Alf is really struggling maybe they give Peraza a couple of months at the end of 2017, but I think they will view it as a temporary situation. Kind of like Adelman in the rotation.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-06-2016)

Personally I think they are brining in as much talent as possible and they'll play the best player when the time comes no matter how they were brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Personally I think they are brining in as much talent as possible and they'll play the best player when the time comes no matter how they were brought in.
    Exactly. This team is bringing in redundant talent across the board. It's about time.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

19. Likes:

WrongVerb (09-05-2016)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I guess that I think the Reds knew he wasn't going to hit much when they signed him and gave him all that money anyway because of his glove. If his glove is good enough to justify a .650 OPS, it's probably good enough to justify .525. I don't see them waiting for that difference to show up. One thing I think is that this team's MO is that he's going to be this team's primary SS for at least 3 years no matter how much he hits. I think they'll bring him up, let him wow people with his glove and wait to see if he hits eventually. I'd guess Cozart stays until the deadline and Alf will get a chance after he's gone. I don't really think they view Peraza as a day in, day out SS. He can play there, but my guess is they don't want him their every day. Why blow the international budget on Alf if they think so? If Alf is really struggling maybe they give Peraza a couple of months at the end of 2017, but I think they will view it as a temporary situation. Kind of like Adelman in the rotation.
    You are making an awful lot of assumptions about what the Reds think..They likely think he will hit better than he showed in the Cuban pro league when he was a teenager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Exactly. This team is bringing in redundant talent across the board. It's about time.
    Yeah, but they are paying more for Alf Rod. So at some point, they are likely to give him the full shot at shortstop.
    I don't think he's just another redundant player in the queu.

But they will have to give him time in the minors, he's been out too long and his bat will need some time. Don't see this as a rush situation unless he shows particularly well.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (09-06-2016)

Alfredo Rodriguez

If you convert Frazier and Bruce values into dollars, I think they spent about equally on Peraza, Herrera and Rodriguez, but of course only two of them will start. Looking at it that way, I don't think AlfRod should be guaranteed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If you convert Frazier and Bruce values into dollars, I think they spent about equally on Peraza, Herrera and Rodriguez, but of course only two of them will start. Looking at it that way, I don't think AlfRod should be guaranteed anything.
    Only one of those three has the strong defensive SS reputation though. To me that's the difference. Rodriguez isn't redundant with the other two. He was signed to do a specific job that the others are unlikely to be able to do. Peraza may be adequate there, but I think they want a SS who provides defense similar to what Hamilton provides in CF. I just can't figure why they signed him to such big dollars otherwise.

25. Likes:

REDREAD (09-06-2016)

Turn Off Ads?