Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Alfredo Rodriguez

Re: Alfredo Rodriguez

.970 OPS in spring training so far, with two HR’s. Maybe poster Edd Roush was onto something?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    .970 OPS in spring training so far, with two HR’s. Maybe poster Edd Roush was onto something?
    I am not taking stock in spring training numbers.
    Just wishful thinking here.. it would be kind of nice if Alf could at least become a decent glove guy off the bench. As in... hit at a Juan Castro level but with better defense. That would fill a void the team has in the short term and would be useful on a 26 man roster. And yes, chances of that happening grow slimmer each year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

He's had a nice spring for sure. I'll take it..

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I am not taking stock in spring training numbers.
    Just wishful thinking here.. it would be kind of nice if Alf could at least become a decent glove guy off the bench. As in... hit at a Juan Castro level but with better defense. That would fill a void the team has in the short term and would be useful on a 26 man roster. And yes, chances of that happening grow slimmer each year.
    I wouldn't put much stock into spring training numbers either, but when a flea like Alf is popping home runs it is a promising sign. His season high total in a ML season is 2.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

6. Likes:

DocRed (03-11-2020),REDREAD (03-12-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Glad others are starting to see that he may provide value to the Reds in the future. The homers are certainly a welcome sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I wouldn't put much stock into spring training numbers either, but when a flea like Alf is popping home runs it is a promising sign. His season high total in a ML season is 2.
    5 HRS in 1300 Plate appearances :X

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-12-2020),Griffey012 (03-11-2020)

One of the more interesting battles is for backup SS. Of Blandino, Farmer, and Rodriguez, (at least) one will make OD roster. All have options; all have hit this spring; each has points in his favor. Arod is not on the 40, however, he is likely the best defender at SS. Moreover, the Reds have used him at 2B and 3B this spring, most likely to evaluate his versatility. I would guess that Rodriguez is the least likely to make OD roster of the three, but he is getting a long look.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    One of the more interesting battles is for backup SS. Of Blandino, Farmer, and Rodriguez, (at least) one will make OD roster. All have options; all have hit this spring; each has points in his favor. Arod is not on the 40, however, he is likely the best defender at SS. Moreover, the Reds have used him at 2B and 3B this spring, most likely to evaluate his versatility. I would guess that Rodriguez is the least likely to make OD roster of the three, but he is getting a long look.
    My personal preference would be for Alfredo to go back to Louisville since he has still proven the least of those three guys offensively.

My preference would be for Farmer to make the team since it would allow for Casali to pinch hit.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (03-12-2020)

I think Farmer is a lock to make the opening day roster (of course, assuming he is healthy).
    The Reds already made comments about how he is able to play SS and value his versatility.
    The fact that he is a passable 3rd catcher is actually pretty huge.

I think Blandino is a long shot if everyone is healthy. My speculation is that Blandino is behind Van Meter and Diekrich.

Alf and Blandino will probably be sent to AAA and kept there unless needed.
    Next year, I think Blandino is out of options. I am not convinced the Reds like him enough to give him a roster spot... I could see them waiving him as they did Finnegan last year, in hopes no one else wants him and they can park him in AAA again.. pure speculation of course.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think Farmer is a lock to make the opening day roster (of course, assuming he is healthy).
    The Reds already made comments about how he is able to play SS and value his versatility.
    The fact that he is a passable 3rd catcher is actually pretty huge.

I think Blandino is a long shot if everyone is healthy. My speculation is that Blandino is behind Van Meter and Diekrich.

Alf and Blandino will probably be sent to AAA and kept there unless needed.
    Next year, I think Blandino is out of options. I am not convinced the Reds like him enough to give him a roster spot... I could see them waiving him as they did Finnegan last year, in hopes no one else wants him and they can park him in AAA again.. pure speculation of course.
    The Reds certainly have seemed to be pushing Farmer. That being said a defensive late game SS sub can be a valuable tool.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    The Reds certainly have seemed to be pushing Farmer. That being said a defensive late game SS sub can be a valuable tool.
    Makes sense since he likely has the best bat and has tremendous defensive versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Makes sense since he likely has the best bat and has tremendous defensive versatility.
    Reds have room for two backup infielders assuming they go with five OFers. They don’t seem interested in using Senzel as a backup infielder, at least early in the season.

I view Farmer as a near lock. He’s truly versatile defensively. He has power and hits lefties well.

The remaining three candidates are VM, DD, and Blandino. IMO Alf Rod needs more AAA time to work on hitting. His body seems to have matured and he may indeed have more power which is good news.

Blandino is a very versatile defensive infielder and good OB man with little power.
    DD is the veteran with a good track record offensively, not much defensively, plays fair second base.
    VM is a good looking young bench hitter, primarily played OF for Reds last year, not sure he’s much of a defender.

If I were the Reds I’d probably lean to DD or look to get another proven veteran player for that spot. This isn’t like past years, I’d want lots of veteran backup if going for the playoffs. Wouldn’t mind Blandino, scrappy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-12-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds have room for two backup infielders assuming they go with five OFers. They don’t seem interested in using Senzel as a backup infielder, at least early in the season.

I view Farmer as a near lock. He’s truly versatile defensively. He has power and hits lefties well.

The remaining three candidates are VM, DD, and Blandino. IMO Alf Rod needs more AAA time to work on hitting. His body seems to have matured and he may indeed have more power which is good news.

Blandino is a very versatile defensive infielder and good OB man with little power.
    DD is the veteran with a good track record offensively, not much defensively, plays fair second base.
    VM is a good looking young bench hitter, primarily played OF for Reds last year, not sure he’s much of a defender.

If I were the Reds I’d probably lean to DD or look to get another proven veteran player for that spot. This isn’t like past years, I’d want lots of veteran backup if going for the playoffs. Wouldn’t mind Blandino, scrappy.
    You are leaving off Matt Davidson, I think he fits best with Farmer. Farmer can play middle infield and catcher, and Davidson can back up the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    You are leaving off Matt Davidson, I think he fits best with Farmer. Farmer can play middle infield and catcher, and Davidson can back up the corners.
    Maybe you’re right, I don’t see Davidson as likely. Reds have lots of coverage at third. Only way I see Davidson is if Reds want a RH first baseman to spell Votto. Could happen, I guess.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-12-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Anyone been able to watch Alf at the plate this year? And does anyone see noticeable differences? He was hitting for some surprising pop in 2020 Spring Training before the pandemic hit and he seems to have carried that pop over to AAA this year. He's also walking more than he's striking out, small sample size and all.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/al...ts?position=SS
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Turn Off Ads?