Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Crosley Field Pictures

Re: Opening Day 1962 at Crosley Field

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    At 9 years old in West Virginia, why the Cardinals, RB? Because of their stellar year in 1964?
    I first began to follow MLB midway through the 1964 season. I think I became a Cardinals fan partly to be different or contrary. I was the only one I knew in 1964 who was happy about the way the '64 season went. My favorite player was Ken Boyer. After Boyer was traded to the Mets following the 1965 season I became a Reds fan. The next year the Cardinals GM who traded away Boyer also left St. Louis and became the GM of the Reds: Bob Howsam.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I was only a kid, so this could be off, but it was different then. People weren't pining for these old fashioned parks then. Everybody wanted to move into the new and modern. It was the space age, the first moon landing was about a year old at the time and Astroturf was "cool." Riverfront was the first park with turf on the infield in the base paths with only "sliding pits" where there was dirt around the bases. That was something people were impressed by. It wasn't until later when the turf started to fade and people became aware of the toll it was taking on players' bodies that the nostalgia wave hit. When Richie Allen wanted out of Philly saying (paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact quote) "if a cow can't eat it, I don't want to play on it," he was considered a villain for taking that stance. Back then, nobody knew.
    Yes. Although Riverfront opened in 1970 it was really a creation of the 1960s, a decade that began with the promise of the JFK administration and the space race and which ended with the country consumed by Vietnam and by riots in the streets, but a decade dominated by change, for good or ill. As Dylan sang, "The times they are a-changing." The entire culture was one of change and turmoil. The music continually re-invented itself, fashion radically changed from the traditional suits and ties and formal dresses of 1960 to mini-skirts mid-decade to a uniform of bluejeans, hair went from crewcuts to anything but. Slogans included "don't trust anyone over 30" and "question authority." Car exteriors were totally changed each model year. Everything had to be new and young and different.
    In that cultural environment, nostalgia was not in vogue. It wash't just baseball. Urban renewal was a byword. Old communities were destroyed in favor of new, planned areas. The interstates were built.
    In that era, an old ballpark such as Crosley was dated and untreasured. Riverfront, with its turf and scoreboard, was modern and "with it."

4. Likes:

Always Red (08-11-2016),cumberlandreds (08-11-2016),jwdoc77 (08-22-2016),mth123 (08-11-2016),OnBaseMachine (08-11-2016),Roy Tucker (08-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    A good summary of how Riverfront/Cinergy came to be.
    http://reds.enquirer.com/2002/09/16/...um_helped.html
    Good article. Thanks for the link.

aernisius

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I may be wrong but where the Blue Ash airport used to be was the site talked about.
    I grew up in Cincinnati, but haven't been back in some time. When did the Blue Ash airport close? And what is there now?

I have mentioned this before but I will again. I never attended a game at Crosley. I only saw it from I-75 while traveling into the area to visit family. I remember seeing it after it was closed from the Interstate. It looked lonely and tired. I thought it was very sad that this ballpark had basically been abandoned. Riverfront was like a shiny new penny when you first saw it. Very bright and sparkly. My first game was in 1971 and I will always remember how green the grass,,,,errrr, astro turf looked. But like a shiny new penny it fades and eventually erodes away. Like others have said it didn't take long before you could see the effects of playing on artificial turf took on ballplayers.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    My guess is Game 7 of the World Series.
    I would say that's a real good guess. I hadn't even thought of that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by aernisius View Post
    I grew up in Cincinnati, but haven't been back in some time. When did the Blue Ash airport close? And what is there now?
    I think it closed around 2012. Big park area is evolving.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/mone...land/87045662/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

This is from memory --and my memory is getting bad but I read in a sabr journal that the average seat in the new ballparks of the 70'swas 40 feet further back than that same seat in the old ballparks. Biggest reason was the way the new stadiums were built -the old stadiums had poles that allowed the top deck to be moved closer to the action and so there was this over hang effect, but with those poles came restricted sight seats. I never got the chance to go to Crosley, but I did get to visit Wrigley and it's amazing how close you are to the action - we sat in foul ground in right field and with the over hang it felt like you were sticking out above the right fielders head. That same seat at Riverfront is probably 50 feet back (total guess). Did Crosley have restricted sight poles? Was there seating out in the outfield?

The thing that drove me crazy about Riverfront was after a while they tried to get away with not replacing the astroturf and the stuff turn light colored green with white streaks --it was really hard to see the ball -they just didn't want to replace the stuff. For you younger folks -there was a constant battle between the Reds, Bengals, and the city about who was going to pay for what --the battle got really old because it seemed to delay upkeep and improvements - i'm not sure that was the case, but that was the perception. The Bengals seemed to always play the victim in not getting what they deserved and I think that perception still plays out on occasion. The biggest thing that Marvin Lewis did was to change the perception of the franchise -and he deserves a lot of credit for that. For many years the Bengals played 2nd fiddle to the Reds and boo hoo -ed about it constantly. The Reds had a 90 year head start -it takes a while for a franchise to settle in and get a history and the Bengals always seemed to be jealous of the Reds history --like the Reds were supposed to give 90 years of history back so as to make things even. After a while the Reds saw the Bengals get some things granted to them -so they attempted the same strategy and it was embarrassing to the franchise - they wouldn't pad the outfield wall because the "city/county" were supposed to pay for it -- about 3 of these arguments played out every year from 1970 to 2003. I haven't missed the arguments.

12. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-11-2016)

While I have never attended a game at Fenway Park, about four years ago I took a tour of the Park while the Red Sox were on the road. I loved the tour and I would love to attend a game there, especially if I could sit on top of the Green Monster.
    I did note though that some of the seats were incredibly tight and small and had little leg room. Those are field level seats many rows back from the field that are under the second deck overhang. We were told those seats were installed decades ago, maybe in the 1930s. They would be a very uncomfortable place from where to sit to watch a nine inning game.
    We didn't get to see the Red Sox locker room, but we did see the visitors locker room. I have been in high school locker rooms that were more spacious and smelled better; as a matter of fact I have been in prisons which were more comfortable and inviting.
    I love Fenway and hope it is always the Red Sox' home park, but those old stadiums are not perfect.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-11-2016),Cyclone792 (08-11-2016),OnBaseMachine (08-11-2016)

It's deja vu all over again

The guy that started that thread was truly ahead of his time.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by aernisius View Post
    2012, pretty good write up on the airport and its history here
    http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.c...h-airport.html
    Go Gators!

18. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    While I have never attended a game at Fenway Park, about four years ago I took a tour of the Park while the Red Sox were on the road. I loved the tour and I would love to attend a game there, especially if I could sit on top of the Green Monster.
    I did note though that some of the seats were incredibly tight and small and had little leg room. Those are field level seats many rows back from the field that are under the second deck overhang. We were told those seats were installed decades ago, maybe in the 1930s. They would be a very uncomfortable place from where to sit to watch a nine inning game.
    We didn't get to see the Red Sox locker room, but we did see the visitors locker room. I have been in high school locker rooms that were more spacious and smelled better; as a matter of fact I have been in prisons which were more comfortable and inviting.
    I love Fenway and hope it is always the Red Sox' home park, but those old stadiums are not perfect.
    We went to Boston last season, and we went on a tour and saw a ballgame at Fenway. You're absolutely right that the seats are small and cramped. During the entire game I had a love/hate relationship with Fenway. I was in awe of place, but my knees hurt from the constant twisting and turning and I had no shoulder room. Still, that place is simply awesome.

Also, here's a story from the tour that I think you and other folks from the BRM era would appreciate. Our tour guide was probably in his 60s, a lifelong Red Sox fan and a terrific storyteller. He weaved in stories about the park in with each section that he showed us, and it was probably the best tour I've ever been on for anything.

Anyway, when we're out in left field he begins to tell a story about Fisk and the Game 6 home run, concluding the story by showing us where the Fisk home run hit the foul (fair) pole. I'm standing there with my Reds hat on, just grinning through the whole story. When he finishes, I raise my hand and he asks me if I have a question.

"Can you show us the exact spot in center field where Joe Morgan's base hit in the 9th inning of Game 7 landed?" I ask.

He looks at me for a quick second, then with a slight chuckle said "Our Reds fan has decided that the tour is over early for all you folks. Have a nice day."

The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

20. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (08-11-2016),cumberlandreds (08-12-2016),George Anderson (08-11-2016),OnBaseMachine (08-11-2016),RedsBaron (08-11-2016),Sea Ray (08-11-2016),TRF (03-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    We went to Boston last season, and we went on a tour and saw a ballgame at Fenway. You're absolutely right that the seats are small and cramped. During the entire game I had a love/hate relationship with Fenway. I was in awe of place, but my knees hurt from the constant twisting and turning and I had no shoulder room. Still, that place is simply awesome.

Also, here's a story from the tour that I think you and other folks from the BRM era would appreciate. Our tour guide was probably in his 60s, a lifelong Red Sox fan and a terrific storyteller. He weaved in stories about the park in with each section that he showed us, and it was probably the best tour I've ever been on for anything.

Anyway, when we're out in left field he begins to tell a story about Fisk and the Game 6 home run, concluding the story by showing us where the Fisk home run hit the foul (fair) pole. I'm standing there with my Reds hat on, just grinning through the whole story. When he finishes, I raise my hand and he asks me if I have a question.

"Can you show us the exact spot in center field where Joe Morgan's base hit in the 9th inning of Game 7 landed?" I ask.

He looks at me for a quick second, then with a slight chuckle said "Our Reds fan has decided that the tour is over early for all you folks. Have a nice day."

We took the same tour. Our guide described Fisk's HR and concluded by saying something to the effect of: "And that's how the World Series ended. If you want to hear anything more, go to Cincinnati."
    To me though, the most humorous comment was made by another guide, before the tour started. We were in the starting area, inside a separate building. There was an old guy there, probably in his 80s, who was wearing 2004 and 2007 World Series Championship replica rings. He showed us the rings and said: "You see these? These are chick magnets!" I replied: "Do they work?" He answered: "They do. I don't!"

22. Likes:

Cooper (08-14-2016),cumberlandreds (08-12-2016),Cyclone792 (08-12-2016)

Those are great stories. When I was in Boston, about 15 yrs ago, they weren't talking 1975 WS. They were still stuck on Bill Buckner. Our Duck Capt told the story of Bill Buckner being so distraught of his error in the 1986 WS vs the Mets that he decided to run out into traffic in a suicide attempt. Unfortunately the car went right between his legs...

24. Likes:

Z-Fly (08-12-2016)

Turn Off Ads?