Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Signing of Pitchers from videos

Signing of Pitchers from videos

Kyle Boddy solicited videos of guys who wanted a chance on Nov 9th. Today he did a follow up. Wasn't just about the Reds but did state:

"This is relevant once again with all the free agent pros throwing bullpens.

Our organization has already signed two people off bullpens from this information from November 9th. We might sign more. But not if you cannot get me valid data and good video.

Help me help you."

"I can only tell you how we do it. The video/data gets you past the door. Then
    @ericjagers
    and I recommend to our Pro Scouting Director, or vice versa.

We talk, figure out where the player fits best, then do due diligence (makeup etc), and go from there."

"I can only speak for the #Reds, but PD/Scouting has been an insanely collaborative effort, with scouting analysts hired to specifically help be the conduit. It's easy now for coordinators to talk to Directors, but come the spring and loads of amateur work... we'll all be buried."
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-19-2019 at 10:31 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (12-20-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Signing of Pitchers from videos

I love that they're willing to think outside the box here.

It may not amount to anything, but overturning rocks can sometimes lead to gems discovered.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-20-2019),Griffey012 (12-20-2019),Tom Servo (12-20-2019)

Seems like a possible conflict of interest. He is still owning and running a private business that involves getting players signed with MLB orgs while working for an MLB org. And posting stuff on Twitter when he gets guys signed for the obvious purpose of getting more people to pay his company to try to get them signed. Is he going to treat prospects in the Reds system who didn’t come through Driveline equally with those who did come through Driveline? This guy is definitely outside the box, yes, I will agree with you on that.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Seems like a possible conflict of interest. He is still owning and running a private business that involves getting players signed with MLB orgs while working for an MLB org. And posting stuff on Twitter when he gets guys signed for the obvious purpose of getting more people to pay his company to try to get them signed. Is he going to treat prospects in the Reds system who didn’t come through Driveline equally with those who did come through Driveline? This guy is definitely outside the box, yes, I will agree with you on that.
    I am sure hoping they have a legal team vetting what they are allowing Boddy to do in regard to his affiliation with Driveline.

If he doesn't have the results, he will soon be sent packing, Driveline or no.

It is also extremely doubtful that he'd sign on with the Reds with an express purpose of pushing his own company, then torpedo Cincinnati chances by ignoring the talent in front of him.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Reds were signing guys off of video well before Kyle Boddy joined the organization. That's how the found Robert Stock a few years ago.

With regards to the running Driveline aspect of it, I can understand the idea that there's a conflict of interest there - but he's hardly the only guy in baseball working/operating a training facility. His is just the most well known facility.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Our organization has already signed two people off bullpens from this information from November 9th. We might sign more. But not if you cannot get me valid data and good video.

Help me help you."
    It just looks a little shady. “We signed some guys who hired Driveline, we might sign more, so send me your video and I will evaluate it for the super low price of...”

I can’t say I have ever seen anything quite like this as far as a guy trying to openly use his position with an MLB team to generate customers for his own private business through the hook of signing a few guys and then suggesting “we might sign more” so hurry and send your tape. How much money is he making off every naive kid who sends his tape to be evaluated?

Luis Bolivar also runs a baseball training school, but he sure doesn’t post comments suggesting he will use his ties to the Reds to get guys signed if they hurry and send tape to be evaluated. Let’s see how this plays out. I noticed in one interview he said when he decided to try to get into pro ball, he wouldn’t talk to any teams that wouldn’t agree to let him continue to run Driveline.
    Last edited by redsof72; 12-24-2019 at 10:52 AM.

It just looks a little shady. “We signed some guys who hired Driveline, we might sign more, so send me your video and I will evaluate it for the super low price of...”

I can’t say I have ever seen anything quite like this as far as a guy trying to openly use his position with an MLB team to generate customers for his own private business through the hook of signing a few guys and then suggesting “we might sign more” so hurry and send your tape. How much money is he making off every naive kid who sends his tape to be evaluated?

Luis Bolivar also runs a baseball training school, but he sure doesn’t post comments suggesting he will use his ties to the Reds to get guys signed if they hurry and send tape to be evaluated. Let’s see how this plays out. I noticed in one interview he said when he decided to try to get into pro ball, he wouldn’t talk to any teams that wouldn’t agree to let him continue to run Driveline.
    Am I just missing the part where he is using this to generate revenue for his company. It sounds like he is trying to get videos solicited so the Reds can potentially find more guys worth signing. That is good for the Reds. Nowhere does he mention the guys that were signed hired Driveline or were ever associated with Driveline. He was soliciting videos/data from whoever had them. He is also working with FlatGroundApp based on his tweets, which was put together by the pitching ninja for the sole purpose of getting guys seen by college/mlb coaches.

Driveline is successful enough he doesn't need to try and get more people to sign up for it by hawking his new MLB credentials.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Am I just missing the part where he is using this to generate revenue for his company. It sounds like he is trying to get videos solicited so the Reds can potentially find more guys worth signing. That is good for the Reds. Nowhere does he mention the guys that were signed hired Driveline or were ever associated with Driveline. He was soliciting videos/data from whoever had them. He is also working with FlatGroundApp based on his tweets, which was put together by the pitching ninja for the sole purpose of getting guys seen by college/mlb coaches.

Driveline is successful enough he doesn't need to try and get more people to sign up for it by hawking his new MLB credentials.
    I am going to pause at this point of the discussion because I do not want to get into rumors that are not confirmed related to the amount of money he is charging kids to “evaluate” their tapes. If you, or anyone else, does not see a problem with what he is doing, fine, your opinion is worth as much as mine. If you are basing your argument on the fact that you don’t think he is actually charging anything at all, or is not marketing Driveline in the comments in the original post of this thread, no problem. We can agree to disagree.

Turn Off Ads?