Turn Off Ads?
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23636970717273
Results 1,081 to 1,094 of 1094

Thread: SEC Football Discussion #6

Re: SEC Football Discussion #6

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    His track record against teams in the top 25 is alarming and will probably scare teams off.
    I think it's kind of a silly talking point though, would you expect Mississippi State, with any coach, to consistently defeat ranked Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss teams? Give him the resources of a Tennessee or Florida and the schedule of an SEC East team and I doubt that record looks so lopsided.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-13-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The rumor mill will certainly be a daily occurrence until someone gets hired by today's rumor sure has UT fans excited. This site is reporting that Jon Gruden is seriously considering the UT job and is even gone so far as to be talking to other coaches about joining him.

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/platfor...oaching-search

Now I don't know who Tennessee will get but if they do land Gruden what do you think will happen with those recruits who are dropping? They'll come back so fast we won't be able to keep track of them.

Gruden has a really cushy gig and is making $6mill/yr at ESPN along with several endorsements. If Gruden were to do the UT thing it'd be because he has that desire in his gut to do it. There'd be no other reason.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

His track record against teams in the top 25 is alarming and will probably scare teams off.
    That's with the resources of Mississippi State. Tennessee is an entirely different stratosphere resource wise.

His teams would be knocking off Top 25 teams with regularity at a school with Tennessee's (among others) resources.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I still think the smart money is on Mullen to Florida.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think it's kind of a silly talking point though, would you expect Mississippi State, with any coach, to consistently defeat ranked Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss teams? Give him the resources of a Tennessee or Florida and the schedule of an SEC East team and I doubt that record looks so lopsided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    That's with the resources of Mississippi State. Tennessee is an entirely different stratosphere resource wise.

His teams would be knocking off Top 25 teams with regularity at a school with Tennessee's (among others) resources.
    Sometimes though it is a reflection on the coach and not the school. In Mullins case, I️ think it’s the coach.

Mississippi State had Alabama on the ropes Saturday night until questionable play calling by Mullen did them in.

Don’t get me wrong Mullin has produced some great players especially at QB, but if he goes to Tennessee (assuming Florida hires Chip Kelly), do you really think the record will improve going against Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, and Chip Kelly every year?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Sometimes though it is a reflection on the coach and not the school. In Mullins case, I️ think it’s the coach.

Mississippi State had Alabama on the ropes Saturday night until questionable play calling by Mullen did them in.

Don’t get me wrong Mullin has produced some great players especially at QB, but if he goes to Tennessee (assuming Florida hires Chip Kelly), do you really think the record will improve going against Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, and Chip Kelly every year?
    Yep.

Simple formula: Access to better players on the average.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-13-2017)

Yes. I think if he can do what he's done in starkville, he'd have even better results with a deeper roster and greater resources. He's good coach.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

kaldaniels (11-13-2017),Revering4Blue (11-13-2017),Tom Servo (11-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Yes. I think if he can do what he's done in starkville, he'd have even better results with a deeper roster and greater resources. He's good coach.
    I mean just look at MSU vs Bama this past weekend. Perhaps there were a few strategic issues one may have had disagreed with Mullen on, but overall it was a good showing and should be considered a good thing that he challenged Bama the way he did.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagreed with his playcalling but I hardly think it “did them in.” It cost them an opportunity at the end but Bama was the better team.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-13-2017),Tom Servo (11-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The rumor mill will certainly be a daily occurrence until someone gets hired by today's rumor sure has UT fans excited. This site is reporting that Jon Gruden is seriously considering the UT job and is even gone so far as to be talking to other coaches about joining him.

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/platfor...oaching-search

Now I don't know who Tennessee will get but if they do land Gruden what do you think will happen with those recruits who are dropping? They'll come back so fast we won't be able to keep track of them.

Gruden has a really cushy gig and is making $6mill/yr at ESPN along with several endorsements. If Gruden were to do the UT thing it'd be because he has that desire in his gut to do it. There'd be no other reason.
    I say this as someone who wants to see the Vols back to prominence. I hope they land big game (in the hunting sense, no pun intended) as their next head coach. Best of luck.

- - - Updated - - -

I award you a bonus point for the Mullins/Mullin/Mullen trifecta. Well done.

SEC Football Discussion #6

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I say this as someone who wants to see the Vols back to prominence. I hope they land big game (in the hunting sense, no pun intended) as their next head coach. Best of luck.

- - - Updated - - -

I award you a bonus point for the Mullins/Mullin/Mullen trifecta. Well done.
    Whoops.

I’m a UK fan but for the sake of the SEC Florida and Tennessee both need to be good again.

Kinda surprised Petrino isn’t being floated around anymore.
    Last edited by WVRed; 11-13-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I’ve said it before and it sounds like loser talk but the SEC needs Saban to get out of there soon which will allow the conference to do a hard reset. His dominance is skewing things big-picture-wise.

Let's reassess where the conference stands after all these teams hire their new coaches. I can foresee a scenario where the balance of power shifts to the SEC East. It's possible that the coaches there will no longer be a laughing stock. If guys like Derek Dooley and McElwain are hired then I'm way off base.

Kinda surprised Petrino isn’t being floated around anymore.
    Petrino was never leaving Louisville as long as Jurich was around, and now that Jurich is gone his last 13 games have been so bad that he's not exactly at the top of anyone's wish list.

WVRed has started a new one. So please go there to post.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?