Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/8/16 - Reds @ Pittsburgh

Re: 9/8/16 - Reds @ Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Here's why I'm not embarrassed: It really does look like they have an actual plan. Back in the "lost decade" it didn't. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel of the rebuild. With the young talent they have, they're going to get to be good again, and soon.
    Yes, it looks like their plan is, "Suck so we can get high draft picks."

And they are executing their plan very well.

But I don't see long-term success coming from it.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you're embarrassed to be a Reds fan then you should probably follow another team, for your own mental health. Life is too short to follow a team you're embarrassed to tell others your a fan of.

(By the way, in no way do I think that you shouldn't feel embarrassed, if you do you do. All I'm saying is why do that to yourself?)
    As Wrongverb has shown, this isn't easily done.

I'll always be a Reds fan but when they don't earn my allegiance I watch them less and I don't go to games. I'm not doing this to make a statement or anything. It's just that it's not worth it.

4. Likes:

CincyDave (09-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I hadn't really looked at big picture in awhile - is this really 14 losings seasons out of the last 17 now? That's pretty crazy.
    On the other hand, they've had 3 winning seasons in the last 7 years, so there's that.

I hadn't really looked at big picture in awhile - is this really 14 losings seasons out of the last 17 now? That's pretty crazy.
    My guess is that others in our division have similar numbers for the past 17 yrs, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Yes, it looks like their plan is, "Suck so we can get high draft picks."

And they are executing their plan very well.

But I don't see long-term success coming from it.

Well they're never going to be able to outspend the other teams, so they need to out draft them. The draft this season was very very good.

Actually it's 13 losing seasons of the last 16 but who's counting? We did have a .500 record in Jr's first yr, 2000.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/h...ar_results.jsp

9. Likes:

Big Klu (09-09-2016)

On the other hand, they've had 3 winning seasons in the last 7 years, so there's that.
    Fair enough. But put against the larger picture, discontent makes some sense. And 3 of 7 is about to be 3 of 8, etc.

The whole 'X number of losing seasons in the last X years' thing is pretty lame. Think Padres fans care about how the team was in 2004 instead of how they have performed the last six seasons? 77 wins is the high. Ditto the Rockies but their high is 74. The Marlins have had just two winning seasons in their last 11 seasons with no playoff appearances.

If the Pirates can't crack .500 this year they will have had 3 winning seasons in the last 24 years, which sounds terrible until you realize that they made the playoffs three of the last four seasons.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Raisor (09-09-2016)

Fair enough. But put against the larger picture, discontent makes some sense. And 3 of 7 is about to be 3 of 8, etc.
    If people want to be discontent that's fine. If there's no hope for the future, why stay a fan?

I'm a patient guy but next year I expect a .500 team. I understand a market this size needs to retool from time to time but I'm done playing for draft picks.

If people want to be discontent that's fine. If there's no hope for the future, why stay a fan?
    I've never been comfortable lecturing fans on how to feel about this kind of sustained losing.

I just don't get being upset about this season here on September 9th. Everyone knew they were going to be a train wreck. It shouldn't be a surprise. I've actually enjoyed this season as I've focused on individual players. Votto. Disco. Cozart's first half Suarez improving at third. Hamilton actually becoming a little bit of something. Finnigan.

There are things to be excited about. If you aren't that's cool, but if you can't find something to be excited about with the future of this team, you really should think about moving on to another.

I've never been comfortable lecturing fans on how to feel about this kind of sustained losing.
    I don't believe I'm lecturing. In fact, I've said repeatedly that if a fan feels upset about what's going on that's their choice. If you want to be mad, be mad. That's cool. But if you're going to be mad, do something about it. If someone feels the need to punch themselves in the face by watching a train wreck season, that's their fault.

If watching the 2016 Reds bumble around and lose makes someone angry, take a break until 2017.

It happens every year around here, seemingly. It feels like lecturing. Or usually some coded or outright "you are not a true fan" stuff. That's fine, some people apparently think they are better fans because they can rationalize a LOT of losing. I can too. But I am not going to look down on those who have a lower threshold for eating this much losing.

Turn Off Ads?