Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 9/8/16 - Reds @ Pittsburgh

Re: 9/8/16 - Reds @ Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It happens every year around here, seemingly. It feels like lecturing. Or usually some coded or outright "you are not a true fan" stuff. That's fine, some people apparently think they are better fans because they can rationalize a LOT of losing. I can too. But I am not going to look down on those who have a lower threshold for eating this much losing.

Reds are a really bad team.

If people need a break from the team, I totally get that. I don't get continuing to follow the team in the short term while just being crazy mad at them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Well they're never going to be able to outspend the other teams, so they need to out draft them. The draft this season was very very good.
    But they will not be able to sustain anything with that philosophy, because they will never be able to consistently outdraft them by that much.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Reds are a really bad team.

If people need a break from the team, I totally get that. I don't get continuing to follow the team in the short term while just being crazy mad at them.
    Reds should be glad that there is anyone still passionate enough to get crazy angry about this. Not caring is a really serious first step toward no longer being a fan. And that has repercussions at the box office down the road (as I know from being a Bengals fan - the generation they lost in the 90s they still haven't really gotten back, even with a decade of being decent).
    Last edited by membengal; 09-09-2016 at 09:38 AM.

5. Likes:

CincyDave (09-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    But they will not be able to sustain anything with that philosophy, because they will never be able to consistently outdraft them by that much.
    and that's where windows come in. And then when that window closes, rebuild and try again.

Reds should be glad that there is anyone still passionate enough to get crazy angry about this. Not caring is a really serious first step toward no longer being a fan. And that has repercussions at the box office down the road (as I know from being a Bengals fan - the generation they lost in the 90s they still haven't really gotten back, even with a decard of being decent).
    Let me ask then, should the Reds abandon the rebuild and spend like crazy in the offseason to try to make a run next season? They've got plenty of prospects they can move to bring in higher priced vets. If it doesn't work, though, it'll push everything back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Well the 2007 draft, for instance, netted the Reds Todd Frazier, Devin Mesoraco, and Zack Cozart. You can't bank on that happening every year obviously, but the draft is a potential game-changer.

I know we've had this debate, but I just don't see the life-altering difference between 73 wins and 66 wins in a slog of a season. All things considered, I'll take the latter for the draft picks and pool money. That gives you a better chance at improvement than slightly outperforming your pythag.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

If watching the 2016 Reds bumble around and lose makes someone angry, take a break until 2017.
    At which point it will start all over again.

and that's where windows come in. And then when that window closes, rebuild and try again.
    But the windows will get smaller and smaller, until they are like those little windows at the top of the basement.

11. Likes:

CincyDave (09-09-2016)

Let me ask then, should the Reds abandon the rebuild and spend like crazy in the offseason to try to make a run next season? They've got plenty of prospects they can move to bring in higher priced vets. If it doesn't work, though, it'll push everything back again.
    No, not from my perspective, but I am still a Bengals fan, and have learned to be okay with the long haul...

It's a messy process, and some people are not going to be okay with that. And I totally get why they would not be, and acknowledge the larger picture. It has been a ton of losing for a long time now. They are running into the danger of losing fans. That's why I was so irate over how Walt and company managed the window of opportunity they just went through. I thought they needed to be way more aggressive than they were while their window was open. Now that it is closed, I am fine with the rebuild going like this (I advocated for it, in fact). But that said, I completely get why others are angry about it, and less patient, and don't, for my part, feel the need to tell them they are wrong to feel that way. The Reds own that anger (and should still be glad for it, really).

No, not from my perspective, but I am still a Bengals fan, and have learned to be okay with the long haul...

It's a messy process, and some people are not going to be okay with that. And I totally get why they would not be, and acknowledge the larger picture. It has been a ton of losing for a long time now. They are running into the danger of losing fans. That's why I was so irate over how Walt and company managed the window of opportunity they just went through. I thought they needed to be way more aggressive than they were while their window was open. Now that it is closed, I am fine with the rebuild going like this (I advocated for it, in fact). But that said, I completely get why others are angry about it, and less patient, and don't, for my part, feel the need to tell them they are wrong to feel that way. The Reds own that anger (and should still be glad for it, really).
    See, the Bengals lost me during their years in the wilderness. I am still nominally a Bengals fan, but I haven't watched a Bengals game in years. In fact, other than watching the first half of the Lions game on Thanksgiving before turkey coma sets in, I've pretty much sworn off the NFL altogether.

But that said, I completely get why others are angry about it, and less patient, and don't, for my part, feel the need to tell them they are wrong to feel that way. The Reds own that anger (and should still be glad for it, really).
    I'm not telling people they are wrong to feel that way. I'm giving my opinion that, if they can hang on a bit, the Reds will be good again (and I believe they will be good again pretty soon). If they CAN'T hang on a bit I'm suggesting that they find another team for their own happiness. Like Dan did (though he only lasted about a week before he came back. They'll always come back)

I was a Mariner fan for 10 years or so during the 80s since I was young and living in Seattle it seemed like a good idea. Those teams were AWFUL, but they were also a lot of fun.

This Reds team is AWFUL, but they can also be fun. Votto is tremendously entertaining. Hamilton is entertaining. Disco is entertaining. There's some really good things coming.

Yet here you are
    Am grateful that there is this forum where I can express my disappointment and disgust.

I probably still have a thread of interest in the Reds to bother to remark and vent. As others have pointed out, when I (and I speak for others, I'm sure) no longer bother to comment, when I no longer attend games, when I no longer bother to follow the the team to see if they won or lost (or how much the most likely lost by), when apathy totally takes over and summer represents things (lots of things) other than the Reds, then the organization is in real trouble. Perhaps it's already there: attendance is down 8,000+ this year. Participation in this and other boards is down, too, and that represents the diehards.

As for my picking/rooting for another MLB team, that will never happen. I'll more likely just find other interests.

16. Likes:

Big Klu (09-09-2016)

Turn Off Ads?