Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9.22.2016 Reds @ Beer makers

Re: 9.22.2016 Reds @ Beer makers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This should be the last season of really a high draft pick, might as well make it count.

I don't want the Reds to suck in 2017.
    Me either, but as long as we continue to keep Bryan Price in charge, counting on the draft to bring us back means we're looking at 2020, and in this society, that means many will, like in the late 90's and early 2000's, desert the Reds. All the good will Bob Cast and Walt Jockety created will be down the drain. It's sad.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Likes:

Big Klu (09-24-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

On pace for 67-95.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

This should be the last season of really a high draft pick, might as well make it count.

I don't want the Reds to suck in 2017.
    I do. I've finally come around. I want the #1 pick in 2018, and anything else will be a disappointment.

I understand now that the goal for insignificant franchises in flyover states (such as ours) is to suck as badly as possible, draft as high as possible, develop the talent, trade that talent to media darling franchises for pennies on the dollar, and start the process all over again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

6. Likes:

CincyDave (09-24-2016),fondfoat (09-25-2016),mth123 (09-24-2016)

I've ben around since the 1961 season when I was 12. Yep, I'm older than dirt. I've seen it all and loathed much of it. Yes, we are a small market team. Yes, we needed to trade our pitchers who became too expensive, but did we have to rid the franchise of performers wo produced because they might be gone in a couple of years and let this team really suck? Maybe that extra year might have givenj time for the suspects to develop better? I don't know, but wishing to tank to get prospects is folly and fool's gold for the futue of the team in Cincinnati.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I've ben around since the 1961 season when I was 12. Yep, I'm older than dirt. I've seen it all and loathed much of it. Yes, we are a small market team. Yes, we needed to trade our pitchers who became too expensive, but did we have to rid the franchise of performers wo produced because they might be gone in a couple of years and let this team really suck? Maybe that extra year might have givenj time for the suspects to develop better? I don't know, but wishing to tank to get prospects is folly and fool's gold for the futue of the team in Cincinnati.
    You mean Frazier? Because I'm pretty sure he was the only non impending FA the Reds have traded.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

You mean Frazier? Because I'm pretty sure he was the only non impending FA the Reds have traded.
    There's also Bruce (club option).

5 HRs on the year, 3 in the big leagues, for Peraza. That number was 4 in 2015, 2 in 2014, and 1 in 2013.

Almost like a young hitter can improve power output with age.
    It's not like the HR's he's hit have been wall scrapers either. A couple of bombs in there.

Last season, the Reds lost 14 of their last 15. This year they have gone down in defeat in 8 of their last 9, and are dropping quickly. They have checked out. Sayonara. I see no reasons to believe that they will be demonstrably better in 2017.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (09-24-2016),WVRedsFan (09-24-2016)

Bad teams are bad until they're good.

They have had multiple nice stretches the second half of this season that make me believe they won't be a total disaster next year. Yes overall the season has sucked but there have been several things to be happy about going forward.

If the young guys continue to develop, they could finish above .500 next year and if some things really go right they might be in the mix for the wild card. May not happen, but there have been several pieces of evidence the second half of this year that lead me to believe they aren't that far off.

The thing is, for everyone who is lamenting the guys that The Reds traded away - weren't those guys here in 2014 and most of 2015? The Reds were still losing at that point, even with Cueto, Leake, Frazier, Chapman, Bruce, etc.

It's not like The Reds pulled a Wayne Huzienga and immediately tore down a team coming off of a fantastic season.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

14. Likes:

Raisor (09-24-2016),WrongVerb (09-24-2016)

Every team can make that claim. Yes, if things fall into place, they will be better. But, realistically, how often does that happen? I am guessing not very often. This club has little depth and poor pitching. And regression from a number of players seems likely to me.
    75 wins is their ceiling. They aren't sniffing .500, and they certainly are not contending for a playoff spot.

16. Likes:

Big Klu (09-24-2016),fondfoat (09-25-2016)

Turn Off Ads?