Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 9.29.16 Reds @ St. L

Re: 9.29.16 Reds @ St. L

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Did anybody honestly think in real time that there was anything objectionable about the play?
    In the heat of the moment when the ball bounced I did think "please be a ground rule double". Now admittedly I didn't know the ground rules of the stadium but the umps should.

ESPN is really hammering the umps today vis a vis the playoff implications. I like it.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (09-30-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Did anybody honestly think in real time that there was anything objectionable about the play?
    Absolutely. The only question is what the ground rules are at that stadium. There was never any question about what wall it hit

Yeah, I was annoyed that Duvall missed the cutoff man, which allowed a slow Matt Carpenter to score from first.

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-30-2016)

Cards fan here. I know the ground rules for that particular play are confusing, even for Cardinal fans. Here is a pic of that left field wall from the side.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a43cc27390.jpg

You can see there is an area of grass between the front wall and those signs. If somebody hits those signs behind the wall on the fly, it is a home run. It's hard to see from the normal camera angle during the game. It looks like those signs are right on top of the wall. But they are a bit behind. So a ground rule double would have been the correct call for last night, if the umpires had seen it.

All stadiums have some weird ground rules, and that is one for St. Louis. Personally, if they are going to do that, I think they should at least have a yellow line or something to indicate where the home run line is. I think the outfielder would have been more likely to put his hands up and declare a double if that was the case. And the umpires probably would have reviewed it.

Lots of things had to happen for the Cards to win on that play. Umpires missed the call. Outfielder didn't know the ground rules, or missed where it hit. 3rd base coach didn't see it. Manager didn't see it and didn't make an immediate challenge. And having to make an immediate challenge is kind of a questionable rule to me, since replay is supposedly there to make the correct call.

8. Likes:

757690 (09-30-2016),Raisor (09-30-2016),RED VAN HOT (09-30-2016)

"3rd base coach didn't see it". Oops. I guess that was the Cards' 3rd base coach. :-)

10. Likes:

Raisor (09-30-2016)

I hate the cardinals and their stupid fans.

RedbirdPat, that includes you, but you seem like an ok guy nonetheless.

Well I am a Cards fan, and as you can see from my last post, I'm also stupid. So, I guess I am a stupid Cardinals fan. :-)

13. Likes:

goreds2 (09-30-2016),Raisor (09-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the Cards and Giants are within one game of each other at the end of the season, my guess is this goes way of the pine tar incident, the call is overturned by MLB, and the Reds and Cards have to go back and finish this game.

This was anti-pine tar. The pine tar incident happened because Nettles and Martin were really sharp and were just waiting for the right time to call it. Last night happened because Bryan was asleep at the switch. (Would it be wrong to add "as usual").

NVM

Turn Off Ads?