Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9.29.16 Reds @ St. L

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: 9.29.16 Reds @ St. L

Amazing that MLB allows a game to be delayed forever to get a random call in the middle of the season right, but a game-winning play with the season on the line, and they're trying to get the hell out of Dodge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BluegrassRedleg; 09-30-2016 at 12:10 AM.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Likes:

cr_redsfan (09-30-2016),DocRed (09-30-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Jeez why are the Reds acting like they are in a playoff race or something with this finish. It doesn't matter.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Jeez why are the Reds acting like they are in a playoff race or something with this finish. It doesn't matter.
    I think it may show that this rivalry still means something to them. Otherwise, it's pointless.

But imagine if you've played 159 games this season and sat through -- what, 300 replays -- and then you think about the absurdity of THAT play not being reviewed.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

6. Likes:

757690 (09-30-2016),Kingspoint (09-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Why not care. It's not like they all get a bonus for getting the third pick in the draft.

8. Likes:

757690 (09-30-2016)

If the Cards and Giants are within one game of each other at the end of the season, my guess is this goes way of the pine tar incident, the call is overturned by MLB, and the Reds and Cards have to go back and finish this game.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

Ironman92 (09-30-2016)

I mean, I could get it if it was a questionable ruling but the non-call there was fine.

I don't even understand why that part of the wall would be considered out of play. If you hit a shot directly off of those signs, it doesn't count as a home run. Why is it out of play if it bounces up against it?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Farce.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Every game means something, and in this case, it means a lot to the San Francisco Giants, New York Mets, and the St Louis Cardinals. Yet, four umpires decided to walk away after waiting ten second to cover up their incompetence and lack of doing the right thing. Yeah, it doesn't mean much to the Reds, but the implications in the wild card were huge. Of course it was dinner time or bar time and delaying might have inconenciaced them. Truth be told, umpires don't like the video review because it makes them look incompetent. Easy to use the 10 second rule because it got them out of there and they get to be the terminator, which they like. No question on their judgment. For the Reds, it means a lot to the horrible pitcher we had out there and the team who I think really wants to win. None of that mattered, but it did to the Reds. Shameful
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-30-2016),DocRed (09-30-2016),Ironman92 (09-30-2016)

One more thing. Regardless of where we end up in the draft, the team is the team and want to win and be winners and loses in a fair game. Those players on the field couldn't care less about a stupid draft pick. They want to win and get a fair shake. It didn't happen tonight. My feeling is that our pitcher would have given up the winning hit after that decision (which he does over and over), but he didn't get the chance. Cardinal luck or umpire incompetence. Same thing.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

16. Likes:

757690 (09-30-2016),DocRed (09-30-2016)

On pace for 68-94.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

In the end this didn't matter for the Reds. But it does mean a lot to the Giants and Cardinals.

I just saw the final play. First off it looked sort of obvious that the ball hit the back wall. So I don't how an umpire couldn't see that. But of course I was looking for it too. Still wouldn't this come under an umpire review? They shouldn't have to wait for a team challenge.
    Also Price should have jumped out of the dugout as soon as that happened to challenge. He shouldn't be waiting on a phone call what could and was the last play of the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

DocRed (09-30-2016)

Here's the irony. Had the runner been thrown out at the plate, I'm guessing the Cardinals would have asked for a review to see if it was, in fact, a ground rule double.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

21. Likes:

Beltway (09-30-2016),cumberlandreds (09-30-2016)

I think this game will serve as exhibit A when they rewrite this rule in the off season. As for the game itself, I agree it was a bad call and the umps on the field should have ruled on it correctly as it happened live but I also don't see any way our Reds were going to win the game given what we had available in our bullpen.

Not surprising that the MLB coddled lazy umps would run off the field and refuse to come back on....you wouldn't see that in any other sport.

24. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree it was a bad call and the umps on the field should have ruled on it correctly as it happened live
    Did anybody honestly think in real time that there was anything objectionable about the play?

Turn Off Ads?