Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Cure For Cancer

A Cure For Cancer

I was at a medical meeting recently about this company and the talk was very optimistic about what they're doing for cancer. Basically there are three ways to beat cancer:

1) Surgical excision
    2) Chemically kill the cells (chemotherapy)
    3) Stimulate your own immune system to kill the cancer

This company uses method 3 and the results have been stunningly successful. They started in Cincinnati but they moved across the river when they got a grant from the state of Kentucky. They're testing it on brain cancer right now but they told me that they believe this will be a successful treatment for any kind of tumor cancer e.g. breast, melanoma, prostate...They're starting human trials now. Could go to market in 4 or 5 yrs.

I don't know if it'll turn out to be everything they claim but if it is, you heard it here first. Something to think about. The company is Bexion

http://www.bexionpharma.com/about-us/default.aspx

Anyone else heard anything about this?

2. Likes:

'69 (08-11-2018),cumberlandreds (10-26-2016),Dom Heffner (10-29-2016),goreds2 (10-26-2016),marcshoe (10-25-2016),RedTeamGo! (10-25-2016),Revering4Blue (02-06-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: A Cure For Cancer

I had cancer when I was 21 and I was very lucky to be cured by #1. It would be amazing to be alive to see a world where cancer is curable by #1 and #3 and we can toss #2.

5. Likes:

Chip R (11-01-2016),cumberlandreds (10-26-2016),CySeymour (10-27-2016),goreds2 (11-09-2021),Redsfaithful (10-25-2016),RedTeamGo! (10-25-2016),Revering4Blue (02-06-2018),Roy Tucker (03-10-2022),Screwball (02-06-2017)

One of the things that always boggles my mind is when there is a potential cancer (or other fatal disease) drug, that we go thru 4 or 5 years of clinical trials when there are terminal patients who would be more than happy to serve as guinea pigs.

Hopefully Bexion finds the magic bullet.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

goreds2 (10-26-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    One of the things that always boggles my mind is when there is a potential cancer (or other fatal disease) drug, that we go thru 4 or 5 years of clinical trials when there are terminal patients who would be more than happy to serve as guinea pigs.

Hopefully Bexion finds the magic bullet.
    Yes, they touched on that point. These human trials involve patients who have to show that conventional treatments haven't worked. They claim their treatment attacks something unique to a cancer cell thus there are no side effects. Seems to me that'd be far preferable to "conventional treatments". Selfishly speaking I'd love for this to become a standard treatment for Prostate cancer. Prostate cancer does not generally respond to chemotherapy. If men live long enough they'll pretty much get prostate cancer. I plan to live long enough...

How timely is this post.

I have spent the last 2 weeks undergoing tests and have discovered today that I have non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I go to the hospital Monday for 3 days to start chemo. The good news is this cancer is very treatable and after 6 months I should be good as new.

I can honestly say I very much respect people who have gone through the whole cancer thing. It is a very mentally tough thing to go through.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

10. Likes:

'69 (08-11-2018),bounty37h (10-31-2016),CySeymour (11-01-2016),Dom Heffner (10-29-2016),dubc47834 (03-08-2022),goreds2 (11-09-2021),HokieRed (11-02-2016),Hoosier Red (02-13-2017),marcshoe (10-28-2016),oneupper (10-31-2016),Razor Shines (11-02-2016),RedsManRick (11-05-2016),Revering4Blue (06-12-2017),Roy Tucker (03-10-2022),Screwball (02-06-2017),Sea Ray (11-01-2016),SunDeck (11-11-2021),wolfboy (06-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    How timely is this post.

I have spent the last 2 weeks undergoing tests and have discovered today that I have non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I go to the hospital Monday for 3 days to start chemo. The good news is this cancer is very treatable and after 6 months I should be good as new.

I can honestly say I very much respect people who have gone through the whole cancer thing. It is a very mentally tough thing to go through.
    Hang in there, George.

12. Likes:

919191 (10-28-2016),bounty37h (10-31-2016),George Anderson (10-28-2016),goreds2 (11-09-2021),HokieRed (11-02-2016),IslandRed (10-28-2016),Larry Schuler (10-27-2016),marcshoe (10-28-2016),Redsfaithful (10-28-2016),RedsManRick (11-05-2016),Roy Tucker (10-30-2016),SunDeck (11-11-2021)

Sea Ray (and others), you might find the special that Vice did on cancer interesting. I don't normally watch Vice, but randomly caught it and it was very good:

http://killingcancer.vice.com/

I'm not sure if you need HBO, but someone has uploaded it to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlK-PeCfezM
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

How timely is this post.

I certainly hope everything goes well. Best of luck to you.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

George Anderson (10-28-2016)

My oldest brother is in stage 4 of kidney cancer. They have tried some experimental immune system drugs on him but the side effects were such that he had to discontinue using them. Things had been stable for a while but he said the other day they told him to stop using the drug he was on because the tumors had started growing again and some new ones had been found. He said there were a couple of other new drugs that have proven to be effective with advanced cancers that they would probably try. He was diagnosed with this cancer about four years ago. He's done better than most and has lived longer than most who have this same type of cancer. But time may be growing short now unless one of these newer drugs works out well. Thanks for posting that link. I will send to him to see if he knows anything about it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I was at a medical meeting recently about this company and the talk was very optimistic about what they're doing for cancer. Basically there are three ways to beat cancer:

1) Surgical excision
    2) Chemically kill the cells (chemotherapy)
    3) Stimulate your own immune system to kill the cancer

This company uses method 3 and the results have been stunningly successful. They started in Cincinnati but they moved across the river when they got a grant from the state of Kentucky. They're testing it on brain cancer right now but they told me that they believe this will be a successful treatment for any kind of tumor cancer e.g. breast, melanoma, prostate...They're starting human trials now. Could go to market in 4 or 5 yrs.

I don't know if it'll turn out to be everything they claim but if it is, you heard it here first. Something to think about. The company is Bexion

http://www.bexionpharma.com/about-us/default.aspx

Anyone else heard anything about this?
    This is what every biotech and pharma is doing now. Every one. In some cases therapies already exist (Herceptin for breast cancer, for example).

Google "genomic medicine".

edit: This is the way medicine is going and will continue to go for the foreseeable future (not just for cancer, incidentally). It's promising, but tricky, because it has to target everyone's DNA individually and there are millions of combinations within individual DNA. To say it's a cure is still very optimistic right now. But it's exciting.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 10-28-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

How timely is this post.

Best wishes George! My wife kicked breast cancer to the curb this year, largely because of early detection and some incredible treatment options. But at the end of the day, getting rid of cancer is still pretty primitive; cut it out, shoot it with radiation, treat the entire body with poison. Anything that can turn the immune system into a cancer fighter would be such a breakthrough.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

19. Likes:

George Anderson (10-29-2016)

How timely is this post.

Best wishes to you. People say Soldiers, Police and Fire workers are brave which they are. I think you need to place people who go through cancer in that category.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

21. Likes:

George Anderson (10-31-2016)

My wife works with a medical device company that currently is focused on glioblastoma, the most aggressive brain cancer. I don't know details well enough to speak on their behalf, but its pretty amazing from what I do know.
    The device helps to keep cancer cells from splitting/dividing, so its not a cure but something that can help prolong life and can work with or without other treatments. Again, I don't understand the specifics enough to detail it much here, but from my understanding they hope to branch out for other kinds of cancer.
    George, best wishes to you, ad to all fighting these battles.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-31-2016),George Anderson (10-31-2016)

How timely is this post.

It's my understanding that your chances are very good with that sort of cancer. You'll be fine my friend!

25. Likes:

George Anderson (11-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's my understanding that your chances are very good with that sort of cancer. You'll be fine my friend!
    Yes my chances are very good.
    I am actually doing chemo as I type and its ok so far but a few rocky spots
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

27. Likes:

Joseph (11-10-2016)

Turn Off Ads?