Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Cure For Cancer

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: A Cure For Cancer

Anyone heard how George is doing? He hasn't posted since 9/2020. Hope all is well!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Anyone heard how George is doing? He hasn't posted since 9/2020. Hope all is well!
    I’m good thanks for asking.

I will be two years in remission next month after going through Car-t. It’s a recent life saving treatment where they take blood cells out of your body, reprogram then to attack the cancer blood cells.

I’m very blessed and fortunate.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

4. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-07-2022),Boss-Hog (03-15-2022),bounty37h (03-28-2022),cumberlandreds (03-15-2022),goreds2 (03-15-2022),Kilgore_Trout (04-14-2022),klw (04-06-2022),Larkin Fan (04-10-2022),Larry Schuler (04-06-2022),marcshoe (03-15-2022),PTjvs (06-20-2022),Rdirtypirates (03-27-2022),Redsfaithful (03-15-2022),redsfandan (03-15-2022),Revering4Blue (03-15-2022),RFS62 (03-28-2022),RiverRat13 (03-16-2022),Roy Tucker (04-05-2022),Sea Ray (03-16-2022),SteelSD (03-15-2022),SunDeck (03-16-2022),TeamCasey (04-12-2022),TRF (03-30-2022),westofyou (04-06-2022),WildcatFan (03-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

I will be two years in remission next month after going through Car-t. It’s a recent life saving treatment where they take blood cells out of your body, reprogram then to attack the cancer blood cells.

That's great to hear

Scientists Develop Invisibility Cloak for Cancer Drugs

An ‘invisibility cloak’ for cancer drugs has been developed by scientists.

It hides ‘good bacteria’ from the immune system, enabling them to reach tumors undetected.

The masked probiotic could revolutionize therapy. In experiments, it wiped out diseased cells in mice.

It is hoped the technique will work even better in humans, who are 250 times more sensitive to bacteria.

Biomedical engineer Professor Tal Danino said, “What is really exciting about this work is we are able to dynamically control the system.

“We can regulate the time bacteria survive in human blood, and increase the maximum tolerable dose.

“We also showed our system opens up a new bacteria delivery strategy in which we can inject bacteria to one accessible tumor, and have them controllably migrate to distal tumors such as metastases, cancer cells that spread to other parts of the body.”

Infection fighting T cells sometimes fails to distinguish friend from foe. The genetically engineered “microbial encapsulation system” solves this.
    More here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/scie...-cancer-drugs/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

This should be in the Awesomeness Only thread.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-07-2022),George Anderson (04-13-2022),goreds2 (04-06-2022)

Cannabis And Pancreatic Cancer: Botanical Drug Kills 100% Of Cancer Cells, Research On Cells Reveals

A botanical drug based on an extract of Cyathus striatus fungus and a cannabinoid extract from the cannabis plant has eliminated 100% of pancreatic cancer cells—relatively selectively and without damaging normal cells—in experiments conducted on a cell model.

The fungus has been the subject of research to test its anti-cancer efficacy in Professor Fuad Fares’ laboratory at the University of Haifa for about eight years.
    https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/cann...r-cannabotech/

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-18-2022),Sea Ray (04-18-2022)

Rectal cancer drug trial of dostarlimab cures all patients: report
    The clinical trial of dostarlimab, conducted by Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, included 12 rectal cancer patients

The patients took dostarlimab every three weeks for six months and had at least another six months of follow-up treatment, the paper said.

At the end of the follow-up treatment, none of the patients had any evidence of cancer, according to the paper.

Even after up to two years for some patients, the cancer still has not returned.
    https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/re...starlimab-cure

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-15-2022)

Cancer Death Rate In US Falls 33% Since 1991

The rate of people dying from cancer in the United States is continuously declining.

According to a new report from the American Cancer Society, the death rate has fallen 33% since 1991.

The drop has meant 3.5 million fewer deaths.

The report claims the steady progress is due to less people smoking, more screening, early diagnosis and improvements in treatments.

"New revelations for prevention, for early detection and for treatment have resulted in true, meaningful gains in many of the 200 diseases that we call cancer," said Karen Knudsen, CEO of the American Cancer Society.

Cancer death rates in children and adolescents have seen huge declines. Since the 1970s, cancer death rates in children have declined by 71% and by 61% for those ages 15 to 19.

There has been a 65% drop in cervical cancer incidence since 2012 among women in their early 20s.

The cancer types that now have the highest survival rates are thyroid at 98%, prostate at 97%, testis at 95% and melanoma at 94%, according to the report.

Current survival rates are lowest for cancers of the pancreas, at 12%.

Cancer is still the second leading cause of death in the United States.
    https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/...-33-Since-1991

14. Likes:

Redhook (01-25-2023),Revering4Blue (01-24-2023),Roy Tucker (01-31-2023),Sea Ray (01-25-2023)

The best one is identifying the gene that leads to a cancer and correcting it early in life.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The last few years have made me more fearful of cancer, regardless of good news about reductions in deaths over the last decade. 4 out of 5 uncles have died from cancer, both grandfathers, mother in law, a friend/coworker and my daughter's swim coach/personal hero. My wife is in remission from her 2nd breast cancer and my dad had prostate cancer. Many of the family were heavy smokers, so at least I am not in that category, but the coworker and the swim coach were both very fit, non- smokers. They both had pancreatic cancer. After these last five years, it's hard to feel like I'll run this gauntlet without facing some type of cancer, myself.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

17. Likes:

Redhook (02-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The last few years have made me more fearful of cancer, regardless of good news about reductions in deaths over the last decade. 4 out of 5 uncles have died from cancer, both grandfathers, mother in law, a friend/coworker and my daughter's swim coach/personal hero. My wife is in remission from her 2nd breast cancer and my dad had prostate cancer. Many of the family were heavy smokers, so at least I am not in that category, but the coworker and the swim coach were both very fit, non- smokers. They both had pancreatic cancer. After these last five years, it's hard to feel like I'll run this gauntlet without facing some type of cancer, myself.
    All I can say is continue to regularly see your doctor and get checkups (which I’m sure you’re doing). Catching it early is key. I went through fighting head and neck cancer in 2022 and it is no picnic. But as I often said, it sure beats the alternative of death (although I had some times I wasn’t quite sure). So if you think some lump or other symptom is kinda odd, go get it checked out pronto.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-08-2023),goreds2 (02-11-2023),Redhook (02-07-2023),SunDeck (02-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    All I can say is continue to regularly see your doctor and get checkups (which I’m sure you’re doing). Catching it early is key. I went through fighting head and neck cancer in 2022 and it is no picnic. But as I often said, it sure beats the alternative of death (although I had some times I wasn’t quite sure). So if you think some lump or other symptom is kinda odd, go get it checked out pronto.
    This times 1,000. My wife had a weird left side pain that just wouldn’t go away. Her doctor said it was a muscle strain. After 3-4 months, we were adamant that she needed some tests done. Long story short, it ended up being lung cancer which is crazy because she isn’t a smoker and usually you don’t feel lung cancer until it’s too late. Fortunately, it was caught early, stage 1, and was taken out along with the lower left lobe of her lung. She’s doing pretty good though and didn’t have to do radiation or chemo. Cancer sucks for sure.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-08-2023),goreds2 (02-11-2023),Roy Tucker (02-13-2023),SunDeck (02-08-2023)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

And seeing your doctor isnt always the end all be all.

You have to push and question them, too.

We just lost my sister in law, who went to her doctor about the lump on her head several times before he said whoops that is cancer and guess what it is stage 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    And seeing your doctor isnt always the end all be all.

You have to push and question them, too.

We just lost my sister in law, who went to her doctor about the lump on her head several times before he said whoops that is cancer and guess what it is stage 4.
    Sadly, this is 100% true as well. My best friend lost his wife to sarcoma, a really bad cancer, when she was in her 30’s. They thought it was a muscle strain on her back. After realizing it was cancer months later, they went in for surgery, opened her up and the cancer had spread everywhere. They closed her back up and she died less than a year after that. It was devastating and incredibly sad. The moral of the story is you have to trust your got and take matters in your own hands. Doctors, when in doubt, go with standard answers when each human is 100% unique.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

How timely is this post.

I have spent the last 2 weeks undergoing tests and have discovered today that I have non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I go to the hospital Monday for 3 days to start chemo. The good news is this cancer is very treatable and after 6 months I should be good as new.

I can honestly say I very much respect people who have gone through the whole cancer thing. It is a very mentally tough thing to go through.
    Best of luck, Spark.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

25. Likes:

bounty37h (02-22-2023)

Turn Off Ads?