Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Carrie Fisher

Re: Carrie Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Actually, Carrie died a few days before her mother. Your point remains valid and right on.
    You are correct. I had it backwards. Well that doesn't factor in. Carrie died one day before her mother.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? I do not discuss things such as my profession on the internet. I'm not interested in getting into a one upmanship with you or anyone else.

Do you have anything to add to the discussion regarding Carrie Fisher?
    When in post #51 you say "I guess I'm more educated than you" you are 100% engaging in oneupmanship

Yet you refuse to elaborate. Hmmmm.

My thoughts on Carrie - it sucks.

4. Likes:

Joseph (06-25-2017),RFS62 (06-25-2017),westofyou (06-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, that was my point...she was a drug addict. It's not like she was sober her whole life and then one day decided to take 6 different drugs out of curiosity.
    I for one didn't know she was still so addicted. I didn't realize she was still taking so many drugs and illegal ones at that. She often used past tense verbiage to describe her drug use.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

It's not just a matter of choice. Sometimes the brain structure itself is affected in such a way that the drug use becomes essentially hard-wired. This is the biggest mis-conception about long term drug abuse: that the person consciously chooses to do it every time. Sometimes it becomes as unconscious as breathing itself. Something for you to think about.
    Having known 1000's and 1000's of people from every part of the world, every culture and every income who have stopped succombing to their addictions to every drug known to man, I can tell you that it's 100% about choice, and nothing but choice. We do what we do in this world because we choose to do so.

Where choice ends for the addicted brain is "after" the first pill is popped, needle injected, gamble made or swallow injested. At that point, choice goes away and one's addiction level takes over in the brain and body.

But, before the first dose, it's choice and choice only. One has to "want to quit" and do whatever's necessary in order to quit. That's the beginning. There's work to be done from there.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-25-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Due to her priviledged status she had more opportunity than anyone to get help.
    As you know from those you've met, the smarter one is, the more difficult it is to keep sobriety from getting interrupted because it's difficult for them to accept instruction. Also, the more privileged, the less likely one will bottom out. Bottoming out isn't necessary anymore thankfully, because education, awareness, and the stigma associated with alcohol and drug abuse isn't what it used to be and can be openly discussed, thanks to people like Carrie Fisher. She had a brilliant mind. It was her worst enemy.

But, there has to be some sense of bottom for someone in order for them to "choose" to stop. They will never stop until they firmly want to because a personality change must occur. In order for a personality change to occur, daily behaviors must be different. This is part of the work. Anyone can change their behavior, unless you believe the A.A. book that states, "Those unwilling to be honest with themselves are doomed to never change".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Having known 1000's and 1000's of people from every part of the world, every culture and every income who have stopped succombing to their addictions to every drug known to man, I can tell you that it's 100% about choice, and nothing but choice. We do what we do in this world because we choose to do so.

Where choice ends for the addicted brain is "after" the first pill is popped, needle injected, gamble made or swallow injested. At that point, choice goes away and one's addiction level takes over in the brain and body.

But, before the first dose, it's choice and choice only. One has to "want to quit" and do whatever's necessary in order to quit. That's the beginning. There's work to be done from there.
    The human brain and human decision making is nowhere near that simple. But I suspect we're treading on ground that's better discussed in the P&R forum, so I'll refrain from this any further.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

Cooper (05-01-2019)

Yeah, but does anyone know if they're an "addictive personality" before they experiment with a drug?

And what percentage of the population has this profile?

And even if they do know their family history of addiction, how many young people believe it will happen to them?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Her demons were stronger than her desire for help.
    Yes, but instead of the word Demons, as that defers responsibility from the individual, which is only the case when another personality disorder is involved that prevents one from being rational, such as a bipolar disorder, I would say, "drugs were working for her better than her desire for help". The more intelligent one is, the more difficult it is for them to ask for help. The average alcoholic is more intelligent than the average person. Of course, there's many types and categories of intelligence. Above average linguistic and scienitific intelligence combined with economic privilege is a detriment to those born with the addictive gene.

As with any negative gene one is born with, it's not a guarantee that it will mature into it's negative consequences. But, the gene loads the gun with the bullett. Behavoir will pull the trigger. Changed behavoir which changes the personality that created the negative behavior will pull the hand away from the gun. But, the gun always remains loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yeah, but does anyone know if they're an "addictive personality" before they experiment with a drug?

And what percentage of the population has this profile?

And even if they do know their family history of addiction, how many young people believe it will happen to them?
    There have been breakthroughs regarding the addictive gene.

Those addicted to alcohol has always hovered around 10%. I believe that it's an "addiction" gene, not an alcohol addiction gene, because the mind and body go through the same behaviors and medical changes, whether it's gambling, pills or alcohol (and, yes, all of you potheads, marijuana is addictive (proven scientifically that's not debateable), and is a gateway to other vices). There are medical reactions/differences in each, from marijuana to gambling to pills to alcohol, but the basic addictive paths and reactions are the same.

The easiest way to tell if you are likely to have the addictive gene is if you have/had a parent/grandparent/great-grandparent that had problems. These things are often hidden and denied, though, so someone often goes their whole life not knowing the truth of their grandparents. Thankfully, that, too is changing in this area as the stigma of addiction continues to ease.

Young people are more and more open about addictions every year and seek help sooner as pschologists, counselors and self-help groups become more accepted every year as positive life experiences rather than negatives that point to a flawed personality. Young people helping young people (through mentored older and experienced adults) has been the biggest breakthrough, so that addictions get caught in earlier stages before bad patterns of behavior can build for decades (if they're lucky to live that long).

ICYPAA is a great group.

The human brain and human decision making is nowhere near that simple. But I suspect we're treading on ground that's better discussed in the P&R forum, so I'll refrain from this any further.
    It's not political or religious, so I won't discuss it there. We're discussing mental health.

The human brain and human decision making is nowhere near that simple.
    But, that's the point. It is.

As you've seen the bumper sticker (not directed at you, my good friend), "Keep It Simple Stupid".

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

It's not political or religious, so I won't discuss it there. We're discussing mental health.
    I've made a point to post some things in there about human cognition, fallacies and the like. I think a lot of that plays into our views on politics and religion, among other things. And one thing a lot of scientific research shows is that we aren't the agents of our own behavior that we like to think we are. There are many factors and drives and biology that goes into our thinking.

That said, I agree that ultimately we are responsible for our behavior, even if we aren't necessarily to blame for that behavior. I mean, I'm one who would love to try some of those harder drugs out of curiosity, but the idea of getting hooked and going down that rabbit hole doesn't appeal to me. Then again, as you put it, drugs wouldn't work as well for me as being sober (minus the occasional alcoholic drink) does.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?