Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Oscars

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

2017 Oscars

Oscar nominations out. Imperfect, but Academy voters did (and usually do) better than baseball HOF voters:

http://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominatio...m_acd_noms_lk2
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-24-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2017 Oscars

I can honestly say, I have a desire to see one film, maybe two, nominated for Best Picture. Hacksaw Ridge and maybe Hell or High Water. I am not saying that the other films are bad, just don't peak my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I can honestly say, I have a desire to see one film, maybe two, nominated for Best Picture. Hacksaw Ridge and maybe Hell or High Water. I am not saying that the other films are bad, just don't peak my interest.
    Do you usually only like action movies?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Do you usually only like action movies?
    Not really. I like action, comedy's, do like a good drama. I am not a huge "space" fan, movies about space travel or outer space really do nothing for me. LaLa Land is not a movie that really appeals to me, I have heard great things, but I just have no desire to see it.

Not really. I like action, comedy's, do like a good drama. I am not a huge "space" fan, movies about space travel or outer space really do nothing for me. LaLa Land is not a movie that really appeals to me, I have heard great things, but I just have no desire to see it.
    If you don't mind it being devastatingly emotional, Manchester by the Sea is an outstanding drama.

I've still got some work to do, but I want to see Fences too. Denzel Washington more than deserves my attention for his directing debut, and I love period pieces set in that era...

Hell or Highwater is fantastic.

I'm really glad Arrival was nominated, really liked that one too.

I still need to see Fences and Moonlight, but I would be surprised if La La Land doesn't win.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Hell or Highwater is fantastic.

I'm really glad Arrival was nominated, really liked that one too.

I still need to see Fences and Moonlight, but I would be surprised if La La Land doesn't win.
    I actually really liked The Martian, saw it on a plane ride, and am a big Damon fan. I just never really fell in love with the whole outer space genre (sans Star Wars.)

I like to be entertained more than anything else. I don't mind intense drama's, but if I have a choice, they won't be my first choice. I find myself more entertained by stupid comedies than intense drama's, especially if a movie doesn't catch my interest and I am asleep on the couch half way through!

With two young kids and one on the way, the last two movies I have seen were Star Wars and Rogue One (both over Christmas and with my nephew.)

The last three movies I saw were

War Dogs: which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    Free State of Jones: which I was disappointed
    Still Alice: which I really did enjoy.

I actually really liked The Martian, saw it on a plane ride, and am a big Damon fan. I just never really fell in love with the whole outer space genre (sans Star Wars.)

I like to be entertained more than anything else. I don't mind intense drama's, but if I have a choice, they won't be my first choice. I find myself more entertained by stupid comedies than intense drama's, especially if a movie doesn't catch my interest and I am asleep on the couch half way through!

With two young kids and one on the way, the last two movies I have seen were Star Wars and Rogue One (both over Christmas and with my nephew.)

The last three movies I saw were

War Dogs: which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    Free State of Jones: which I was disappointed
    I hear you, you really have to get yourself up to see some of these movies. Part of the reason I haven't seen Manchester or Fences yet.

Arrival isn't a really typical "space" movie. I mean it involves aliens, but I wouldn't really say that's what it's about (don't want to spoil it).

I read Fences (the play) at some point and want to see the movie, but with my current schedule the next time I'm in a theater will be around the time Episode 9 comes out. The Oscars are about distant rumors for me.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

If Still Alice didn't make you thoroughly depressed, I'd recommend Manchester by the Sea. Although the movie is about trying to cope with tragedy in one's past, I laughed quite a bit during the movie. You like to be entertained? It's entertaining. For anyone who has dealt with relatives going through dimentia or Alzheimer's . Still Alice can be hard to watch.

I liked LaLa Land even more than Manchester, but it's definitely a musical. If you don't one musicals, I can't promise you'll like it.

Wanna see Hell or High Water
    Stick to your guns.

Moonlight and Lion are pretty serious downers as well. Both still quite fantastic and well worth seeing.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-25-2017)

Still Alice was fantastic...and brutal.

16. Likes:

bucksfan2 (01-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I've still got some work to do, but I want to see Fences too. Denzel Washington more than deserves my attention for his directing debut, and I love period pieces set in that era...
    Fences is great, but it's a play. It feels like a play. It's acted like a play. It's great, but it's not what everyone will expect (or like).

The acting it in is fantastic. Viola Davis is incredible. And the other supporting characters are phenomenal as well. Denzel is great too, but I like Affleck for the Oscar.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-25-2017)

If I were voting (and I haven't seen them all, mind you):

Best picture: Manchester
    Best actor: Affleck
    Actress: Portman (I've only seen 2 of these)
    Supporting actor (easily the hardest category to pick... all of them are great): Dev Patel
    Supporting actress: Viola Davis (she could/should have been nominated for the lead... I know it's Denzel's movie, but it's her show)

Are there enough minorities nominated this year?

Turn Off Ads?