Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Oscars

Re: 2017 Oscars

If Faye Dunaway's looking for the Steve Harvey career bump, she needs to take full responsibility and apologize. Then maybe she'll get an afternoon talk show and the adulation of hundreds.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Saw Manchester, and as Oscar bait, it did its job. That's about the best thing I can say about it. It's just a really flat movie.
    I LOVE boring, woeful indie movies and Manchester was boring even for me. I guess it's the conceit of the movie but it was frustrating to see a film where the main character refuses to participate in any aspect of the story. The big climax in the last scene is that he finally decides to do a thing.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-01-2017),Kingspoint (03-20-2017),WrongVerb (02-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I wonder how many people that happened to. I mean it was 1215 on the east coast when that happened, I'm sure there are a ton of people that saw it announced and turned it off and went to bed.

My guess is you'll like Hell or High Water because it is awesome. Arrival is certainly not going to be what you expect it to be, but it was my personal favorite last year.
    When I see trailers for Hell or High Water I think "No Country for Old Men". I'm not crazy about dark, brooding films. I'll give it a watch, but am prepared to just be ok with it.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    If Faye Dunaway's looking for the Steve Harvey career bump, she needs to take full responsibility and apologize. Then maybe she'll get an afternoon talk show and the adulation of hundreds.
    TMZ has interesting article as a companion piece that talk about how Beatty and Dunaway were feuding. Wouldn't even practice their walkout together and fought over who would announce the name. Faye won.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/27/warren...envelope-plan/

So some of her actions make a bit more sense. She seems to be pawing at him a bit like she's afraid he's going to steal her thunder, when he's just trying to make sense of the card. Also explains why she reads it out so quickly. There's some debate as to whether Beatty set her up "you wanted to read it, here you go". Or whether he was trying to show her the card so she could see the issue.

But Beatty screwed this up, because he was afraid to look dumb. He knew the card made no sense. All he had to do is turn to the side and say "Will someone confirm this is the right card?".

The producer for La La Land, handled it with class and a "take charge" attitude.

PS - I feel like I'm analyzing the Zapruder tape.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-27-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

dougdirt (02-28-2017),KittyDuran (03-01-2017),marcshoe (02-28-2017),RedsBaron (03-20-2017)

This Brian Cullinan guy from PWC had one of the easiest, most glamorous jobs in the world. And he managed to royally screw it up. Amazing.

9. Likes:

757690 (02-27-2017),Razor Shines (02-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    When I see trailers for Hell or High Water I think "No Country for Old Men". I'm not crazy about dark, brooding films. I'll give it a watch, but am prepared to just be ok with it.
    Nothing to worry about, it's nothing like No Country. I hated No Country and loved Hell or High Water. It's a modern western bank robbery movie with great acting.

Hoping to change my username to 75769023

12. Likes:

Larry Schuler (02-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Nothing to worry about, it's nothing like No Country. I hated No Country and loved Hell or High Water. It's a modern western bank robbery movie with great acting.
    It's got the Dude and (Alternate) Captain Kirk!

I'm dying to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    TMZ has interesting article as a companion piece that talk about how Beatty and Dunaway were feuding. Wouldn't even practice their walkout together and fought over who would announce the name. Faye won.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/27/warren...envelope-plan/

So some of her actions make a bit more sense. She seems to be pawing at him a bit like she's afraid he's going to steal her thunder, when he's just trying to make sense of the card. Also explains why she reads it out so quickly. There's some debate as to whether Beatty set her up "you wanted to read it, here you go". Or whether he was trying to show her the card so she could see the issue.

But Beatty screwed this up, because he was afraid to look dumb. He knew the card made no sense. All he had to do is turn to the side and say "Will someone confirm this is the right card?".

The producer for La La Land, handled it with class and a "take charge" attitude.

PS - I feel like I'm analyzing the Zapruder tape.
    Ha!

I just watched the whole edit for the first time and so many thoughts come to mind albeit in hindsight.

What took the PW guys so long to rush the stage?

Warren Beatty looked like a dunce trying to save face.

If I was up on stage and this went down...I don't know how to say it but I'd almost worry this was some sort of distraction for a terror attack...I mean PW supposedly has(d) super tight security over the envelopes...if that fails what else is going on? Almost like something out of a movie no pun intended. - Maybe that's a weird take sorry

And of course good for Jordan Horowitz...I didn't see anyone else up there ready to take charge.

Hell or High Waters is fantastic.

One of the best westerns in many years. It takes a hilarious look at the Texas gun culture on top of the main story line.

It's authentic West Texas.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Hell or High Waters is fantastic.

One of the best westerns in many years. It takes a hilarious look at the Texas gun culture on top of the main story line.

It's authentic West Texas.
    Is there a Whataburger?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

17. Likes:

757690 (02-28-2017),Raisor (02-28-2017)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I know that Warren Beatty isn't everyone's favorite human being, but I'm not sure how anyone could blame him or FD for that mistake. If I read a card that said "Emma Stone / LaLa Land," I'd assume I was losing my mind and be very confused. This is clearly on PriceWaterhouseCoopers.

Too much hate on this thread for Manchester By The Sea, particularly by people who didn't see it. It was not boring. Yes, it had some sad parts, but no harder to watch in those parts than many other great movies. Saving Private Ryan, Silence of the Lambs come to mind. Fantastic, realistic dialogue and I laughed a lot more than I got sad. When I walked out of it a couple months ago, I didn't think I'd be ready to see it again for a while, but would like to now.

I will see Moonlight and Hell or High Water when they come to video. LaLaLand was great and all wannabe/failed artists like me should see it. Hidden Figures was a compelling story. Didn't see the other best picture nominees.

Glad to see Zootopia get recognized. A surprisingly subversive and substantive big studio kids movie.
    Stick to your guns.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-01-2017),757690 (03-01-2017),KittyDuran (03-01-2017)

Been watching Westerns since Shane and flicks about robbing banks since Gun Crazy. Hell or High Water is terrific. Great music too.

21. Likes:

Razor Shines (03-09-2017)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Finally saw Moonlight last night, and man, is it a beautiful movie.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My in-laws saw Manchester by the Sea and said it is a really well made and good movie, but it is so depressing it is not worth watching. They both said they wish they had not seen it.
    Make sure they never listen to Nirvana.

Turn Off Ads?