Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bengals Season

Re: 2017 Bengals Off-season

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Most years I would agree that you can find quality players after the 5th round. This isn't one of those years. This is just a year where there aren't that many quality players entering the draft. Last year the draft was very deep. Fejedelem could wind up being a starter, for instance. I really like that pick and had even mocked him a few times to the Bengals.

Oh, and 20 months ago I was begging the Bengals to draft La'el Collins (who was tangentially associated with a murder) in the 7th round. He's now anchoring the Dallas offensive line. Imagine how different the team would be with your Williams and my Collins.
    I was right there with you on Collins, but if you recall, he wasn't eligible to be drafted. The Bengals needed to acquire him in the supplemental draft and they let the Cowboys win that bid (a 3rd, I believe). Asleep at the wheel by the Bengals. Collins hasn't become the player the Cowboys hoped...1st Rd Guard potential, but he still earned a Starting spot on that line.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Kingspoint I love your post, but dislike when you speak in absolutes. As of right now I don't see them using their #9 pick on a WR. In recent memory they have drafted a WR in the first round, twice, Warrick and Green. I don't think WR (or TE for that matter) is a need early in the draft. I think with a corps of Green, Boyd, Eifort, and Kroft they should be set at the WR/TE position. They do need depth, probably need quite a bit of depth, but I don't think you draft depth in the 1st round. The only way you use the #9 overall pick on a TE is if the guy from Western Michigan is the BPA and a game breaking talent.

I wonder if the Bengals finally let Whit walk. Guy has been awesome as a Bengal, probably one of the most underappreciated players nationally, but is entering his 13th season. If I were to rank FA needs it would be 1. Zeitler, 2. Dre, 3. Whit. Its not a shot at Whit, just a reality that the wheels are going to fall off sooner than the other three. Just for fun I went and looked at Willie Anderson's career, the Bengals let him go after his 12th season, he played one more in Baltimore and was done.
    Yes. Way too many absolutes when I speak. I need to be more aware of it and lessen the number of them.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

bucksfan2 (02-24-2017)

Boyd can only play the Slot. They need a quality WR opposite Green. A.J. has missed a lot of games recently. That player also needs to be abke to be a WR1 at times. That player currently isn't on the roster.

Personally, I can identify plenty of WR2's and WR'3's who won't get drafted in the first 5 rounds, and believe that WR's and LB's are the best usage for 6th and 7th Rd picks. However, there's two solid WR2''s with potential to be WR1's who should be there when the Bengals pick.

Should one of those two top Safety's fall to #9, I would take one of them, but other than those two, I would go WR, and preferably the one from Western Michigan.

Eifert is injury-prone. He can't be counted on year to year. What he gives the team is a bonus. Can't take a chance on hoping that scouting is correct on a WR taken after #9 overall. Don't want to wait the years it will take to develop that person. The Western Michigan WR looks ready now.

6. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-23-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Boyd can only play the Slot. They need a quality WR opposite Green. A.J. has missed a lot of games recently. That player also needs to be abke to be a WR1 at times. That player currently isn't on the roster.

Personally, I can identify plenty of WR2's and WR'3's who won't get drafted in the first 5 rounds, and believe that WR's and LB's are the best usage for 6th and 7th Rd picks. However, there's two solid WR2''s with potential to be WR1's who should be there when the Bengals pick.

Should one of those two top Safety's fall to #9, I would take one of them, but other than those two, I would go WR, and preferably the one from Western Michigan.

Eifert is injury-prone. He can't be counted on year to year. What he gives the team is a bonus. Can't take a chance on hoping that scouting is correct on a WR taken after #9 overall. Don't want to wait the years it will take to develop that person. The Western Michigan WR looks ready now.
    Would you consider moving Dre to safety if he re-signs?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Would you consider moving Dre to safety if he re-signs?
    It's certainly something to think about. I've seen Dre repeatedly get beat on double-moves, which for me doesn't bode well for the recognition and instincts a Safety needs, so I would say, no to moving him to Safety. He's strong, physical and has the speed to play on an island with any Receiver in the league. His dominance in defending the deep routes is something they should take advantage of. Let him cover a zone on one side from 10 yards deep, the same way Richard Sherman plays. If Dre's guy on that side goes deep, Dre stays with him. If they bring a 2nd player into that area, have an OLB slide over and pick that up.

Dre could demand 4 yrs/$40M. It's a valuable position. Should pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's certainly something to think about. I've seen Dre repeatedly get beat on double-moves, which for me doesn't bode well for the recognition and instincts a Safety needs, so I would say, no to moving him to Safety. He's strong, physical and has the speed to play on an island with any Receiver in the league. His dominance in defending the deep routes is something they should take advantage of. Let him cover a zone on one side from 10 yards deep, the same way Richard Sherman plays. If Dre's guy on that side goes deep, Dre stays with him. If they bring a 2nd player into that area, have an OLB slide over and pick that up.

Dre could demand 4 yrs/$40M. It's a valuable position. Should pay it.
    Dre is a known commodity right now, a guy who has gotten better at the CB spot over the past couple of seasons. You need to pay him as to not create another hole. The simple thing to do, or at least its simple to me, is to let Jones go, pay Dre, and go into the season with Shaw, Dre, WJ3, and Denard. You do that CB isn't an issue, you don't and you may as well look Lattimore in the #9 spot. And as big as a fan as I am of Lattimore he scares the heck out of me, guy put together one healthy season in college. IMO Conley will be the better pro out of the two.

Green has actually been pretty healthy for a non QB in the league. He missed 3 games in 2014 because of a concussion and missed 6 games, although a couple were debatable this past season because the Bengals held him out. I don't think concussions are predictable, especially the hit that he took forcing him to miss games. Eifort's injury problems are troublesome, I still think he is a guy you lock up long term. I wonder, and its completely hindsight, had he not played in the Pro Bowl or surgery had gone right the first time, he may have had a monster season. If there is a game breaking WR at #9 I don't have a problem taking him, I don't know if there is, and the problem becomes, you don't want to draft a nice WR that high. There was a run last year on WR's in the 1st round, but by the looks of things, Michael Thomas may be the best of the bunch and he was a Rd 2 guy. If past draft history is anything, I think the Bengals go BPA at #9 and look to get a skill position player in 2 as well as in the comp picks. I think they should bring in a number of WR's, not projects, but guys with a real chance at contributing.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-28-2017)

Bengals will officially get 4 compensatory draft picks next year for the free agents they lost last year.

So they will have an extra 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round pick. https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/...-16-Clubs.aspx

Well we have the first one of the 4th and the first one of the 5th, so that's even better.

Per ProFootballFocus, no Quarterback threw the Post and Corner routes last year better than Dalton. And they say he can't throw deep. (His average depth of throw was third shortest among the 32 qualifiers at about 18.5yds, but I've always said that Dalton is money throwing it 15-20 yards past the LOS on the seam (the Post route), which is why he needs big Receivers running that rouute and why Marvin's sphinxter doesn't need to tighten up when we get a lead. That throw needs to be made a minimum of five times a game. Brees has made a career out of it, and Dalton could, too, if it wasn't for Lewis choking up so often.)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-25-2017 at 12:11 PM.

From ProFootballFocus (had to place in separate posts for technical reason).

Best QB targeting post and corner routes (min. 15 targeted attempts): Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals

Dalton was a combined 13-14 for 281 yards and 2 touchdowns on these routes targeting the receiving duo of A.J. Green and Brandon LaFell. However, Dalton also had success throwing to his other receivers. He finished the season completing 29 of 42 passes for 642 yards and 7 touchdowns, earning a league-leading QB rating of 151.3. His completion percentage of 69 also led the league, and only one other QB completed more than 60 percent of post and corner routes. Dalton had his most success versus zone defenses completing 16 of 23 passes for 385 yards and 3 touchdowns. One of the keys to his success may have been his average time to throw of 2.36 seconds, likely due to his aDOT of 18.88 yards (third-shortest out of 32 qualifiers).

Andy has played well enough the last two years to make me think that with enough talent around him he can take the Bengals to the Super Bowl. That's why I'd be okay if they took a WR at #9. But taking a WR that high won't make a whole lot of sense if they let both Whit and Zeitler walk.

By the way, the comp pick system really needs to be examined if it is going to continue. The Steelers got a 3rd round comp pick for Kelvin Beachum because on paper he signed a 5-year $45m contract. In reality, it was a one-year contract for $5m (with only $1.5m guaranteed) with a 4-year $40m option. Beachum has already been released. Meanwhile the Bengals only get a 4th round pick for losing Marvin Jones, whose contract was $20m guaranteed. Jones' 2016 cap hit was also larger than Beachum's ($6.6m to $5.3m).

17. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-25-2017),Kingspoint (02-25-2017)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

They need a running back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    They need a running back.
    Well, a smart team would resign Burkhead and draft more important things. If he can stay healthy he's going to be a productive back for somebody.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-25-2017)

I never understand why we don't try to get our RDE the last few years and our Linebackers from teams that switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 after getting new coordinators. They can be had for 50 cents on the dollar as they just don't fit the new systems either via trade of players or picks.

I mean, we have an extra 5th that could easily be turned into a Starter to replace MJ or Maualuga.

Turn Off Ads?