Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    How is he only 16?
    He's not. He's 19. Cuban kid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...r-luis-robert/

Article by Ben Badler of Baseball America on Luis Robert
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

4. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...r-luis-robert/

Article by Ben Badler of Baseball America on Luis Robert
    Also 17 minutes worth of video in that link. Incredible power + the ability to play CF, and he projects as an above-average defender in a corner outfield spot. The Phillips contract is off the books after this year, and the Reds are exempt from signing anyone for more than $300K the next two signing periods. This is a superstar talent; Take the risk and make the kid a significant offer. If you miss, the new TV deal alone should cover the cost. If he becomes a star, the Reds are likely a perenial playoff contender.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-03-2017),OhioRiverBarge (03-01-2017),Stingray (03-02-2017)

There should be some high-ranking club officials in the Dominican Republic this week. That’s because on Thursday, Luis Robert will have his first open showcase, giving teams their first open opportunity to watch the talented young Cuban outfielder since he arrived in the Dominican Republic.

Robert, 19, is still waiting for Major League Baseball to declare him a free agent. That timing is critical, both for Robert and the teams that could potentially sign him. The current 2016-17 signing period closes on June 15. Up until that point, there is no hard cap on signing bonuses, so while Robert is subject to the international bonus pools, there isn’t an absolute ceiling on what a team could potentially offer him.
    If Robert can get cleared to sign before June 15 (which seems likely given his timetable, though with MLB and international players, there isn’t much transparency to work with), the teams already over their bonus pools would be in the best position to sign him. That includes the Padres and Cardinals, two teams that have been the most aggressive spending this signing period with international players in general with several Cuban signings for each club. The Astros, Braves, Nationals, A’s and Reds are also over their bonus pools. If, for some reason, MLB does not clear Robert to sign until after June 15, those teams would essentially be eliminated from signing Robert, since they would be in the first year of a two-year penalty of being unable to sign any international amateur player for more than $300,000.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...sRPI4decsxz.97
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

REDREAD (03-27-2017)

Hate to be negative, but I'm now rooting that he doesn't clear until after June 15. Cardinals have extra cash to spend now that they don't have a pick in the first three rounds and I fear that's where he ends up if he's cleared prior to June 15.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Hate to be negative, but I'm now rooting that he doesn't clear until after June 15. Cardinals have extra cash to spend now that they don't have a pick in the first three rounds and I fear that's where he ends up if he's cleared prior to June 15.
    If the Reds aren't going to go all out to get him, and I have no idea whether they would or not, then I'm with you. I don't want to see him end up with the Cardinals.

On the Reds Beat Podcast yesterday, they asked Dick Williams if they were done spending internationally. Dick said they were not and that if they could add a player like Alfredo Rodriguez or Vladimir Gutierrez they were open to doing so (at the right price)...an optimist would say they are in on Luis Robert...I am that optimist.

You can jump to 45:54 to hear what he says about the Draft and the International Market
    Last edited by William; 03-30-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

12. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-30-2017),REDREAD (03-31-2017)

On the Reds Beat Podcast they asked Dick Williams if they were done spending internationally, Dick said they were not and that if they could add a player like Alfredo Rodriguez or Vladimir Gutierrez they were open to doing so (at the right price)...an optimist would say they are in on Luis Robert...I am that optimist.
    Let's hope.

On the Reds Beat Podcast yesterday, they asked Dick Williams if they were done spending internationally. Dick said they were not and that if they could add a player like Alfredo Rodriguez or Vladimir Gutierrez they were open to doing so (at the right price)...an optimist would say they are in on Luis Robert...I am that optimist.

You can jump to 45:54 to hear what he says about the Draft and the International Market
    I interpreted it the same way you did.

The Reds will face an uphill battle with the Padres, White Sox, and Cardinals all likely to be involved as well, but could you imagine the excitement around this fanbase if the Reds were to add Luis Robert on top of a strong 2016 draft, plus the #2, 32, and 38 draft picks in June?

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-30-2017),REDREAD (03-31-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I interpreted it the same way you did.

The Reds will face an uphill battle with the Padres, White Sox, and Cardinals all likely to be involved as well, but could you imagine the excitement around this fanbase if the Reds were to add Luis Robert on top of a strong 2016 draft, plus the #2, 32, and 38 draft picks in June?
    Don't confuse us crazy fanatics with the fanbase. The fanbase in general doesn't know who Nick Senzel is, much less Luis Robert. The fanbase is still mad that the team traded Brandon Phillips and Dan Straily. Heck, many of them still think we should have kept Johnny Cueto because they don't understand he'd have left anyways.

17. Likes:

LoganBuck (03-30-2017),OnBaseMachine (03-30-2017),RedlegJake (03-30-2017),RedTeamGo! (03-30-2017),Tom Servo (03-30-2017),Vander (03-30-2017),Z-Fly (03-30-2017)

Robert taking BP at his workout today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSRDf1egn7g/

Luis Robert 60 yards 5.9. #Borntoplay

https://twitter.com/juliobasora25/st...49560486227968

19. Likes:

REDREAD (03-31-2017)

Unfathomable that the Cards weren't banned from signing international free agents as past of their punishment for the Astro's incident.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-30-2017),LoganBuck (03-30-2017),nmculbreth (03-30-2017),OnBaseMachine (03-30-2017),Rojo Rijo (03-30-2017),Vander (03-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't confuse us crazy fanatics with the fanbase. The fanbase in general doesn't know who Nick Senzel is, much less Luis Robert. The fanbase is still mad that the team traded Brandon Phillips and Dan Straily. Heck, many of them still think we should have kept Johnny Cueto because they don't understand he'd have left anyways.
    You've been reading the Reds FB page comments.....never read the comments Doug....never read the comments
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

The Reds need to sign Robert even if they need to invent some sort of new vegetable or fruit to get it done.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...bEk3YTQhRk7.97

"The Cardinals, Astros, Reds, Padres and Athletics all had high-ranking team officials in attendance."

25. Likes:

cincyinco (03-30-2017),Edd Roush (03-30-2017),OnBaseMachine (03-30-2017),REDREAD (03-31-2017),Tom Servo (03-30-2017)

Turn Off Ads?