Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 Years Ago-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

20 Years Ago-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

One of the greatest television shows in history turns 20 today.

If you've never seen it, it's on Netflix. The first season is pretty horrible, but from season 2 on it's great.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: 20 Years Ago-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

If you've never seen it, it's on Netflix. The first season is pretty horrible, but from season 2 on it's great.
    That used to be my biggest guilty pleasure show. Now that nerds have taken over pop culture, all the guilt just faded away.

Also SMG can still get it.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

4. Likes:

CySeymour (03-10-2017)

It may be leaving Netflix at the end of the month. I watched an episode the other day and I thought there was a notice that it was only available to April 1. I could be wrong however.

The Hush episode was just one of many greats:

Here is Buffy's answer to question as to how to kill the Gentlemen who have stolen everyone's voices:
    Last edited by klw; 03-10-2017 at 12:29 PM.

6. Likes:

Raisor (03-10-2017)

Little known fact:

Christine Taylor was the show's first choice for Buffy, but she turned it down because the movie wasn't a box office success.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

That said, Angel was (arguably) better.

9. Likes:

marcshoe (03-10-2017),Raisor (03-10-2017)

I think Angel was more consistently good, but Buffy had bigger highs. Angel had the benefit of not having to create a whole universe, and also had the benefit of having a writing staff that was already up to speed right out of the gate. Buffy had to find it's way.

Seasons 1, 2 & 3. great TV. grade B+, A & A+

season 4 - a big disappointment when aired but in retrospect not as bad as I thought. grade B.

season 5 - pretty good. some of the old glory is back (see what I did there?). grade B+

season 6 - train derailed. like in the Fugitive derailed. and just got worse as the year went on. grade D.

season 7 - if you are still watching you are an obsessive-compulsive completist. and a masochist to boot. grade F. and if there is a grade below F then its that.

- Brett

Season 1 wasn't even really a season. And it was terrible.
    Seasons 2 and 3 I really enjoyed.
    Seasons 4-7 I didn't like much.

The problem with a show based around high school is it has a shelf life, and it's real hard to totally transition a show and have it still be good. The best I can say for Buffy is they tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Seasons 1, 2 & 3. great TV. grade B+, A & A+

season 4 - a big disappointment when aired but in retrospect not as bad as I thought. grade B.

season 5 - pretty good. some of the old glory is back (see what I did there?). grade B+

season 6 - train derailed. like in the Fugitive derailed. and just got worse as the year went on. grade D.

season 7 - if you are still watching you are an obsessive-compulsive completist. and a masochist to boot. grade F. and if there is a grade below F then its that.

- Brett
    Season 1 should only be watched AFTER you've watched the rest of the series. It's so bad that if you try to watch it first you'll never get to season 2.

Season 2 was pretty great all the way through, except for the John Ritter episode. Blah.

Season 3 was awesome. The Mayor is probably the best Big Bad in the series (though I love Glory too).

Season 4 had Hush. I like Riley more than most Buffy fans, so I don't hate season 4. The big bad was horrible though.

Season 5 is my favorite overall season I think. Love Glory. I love Glory's minions. Spike is awesome throughout. And I even like Dawn (most of the time).

Season 6 has Once More with Feeling, and is therefore awesome. Also love Dark Willow, the nerds, and the return of Giles.

Season 7 has Felicia Day and Nathan Fillion and is therefore awesome and I'll fight anyone that says differently.

I love Nathan Fillion.
    I like Felicity Day in the right role & in small doses.
    Season 7 of Buffy was awful despite their presence.

let me know where and when we will duke it out. I'll warn you though. I've been watching a whole lot of Walker Texas Ranger recently and may have picked up a move or two.

- Brett

15. Likes:

Raisor (03-10-2017)

Name:  buffy_movie.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  59.8 KB

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Joss Wheadon disavowed the movie. The series is a sequel to the non-produced original screenplay.

#Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I love Nathan Fillion.
    I like Felicity Day in the right role & in small doses.
    Season 7 of Buffy was awful despite their presence.

let me know where and when we will duke it out. I'll warn you though. I've been watching a whole lot of Walker Texas Ranger recently and may have picked up a move or two.

- Brett
    I will say that season 7 was the second weakest season of the series, but it still had some great stuff.

Andrew's attempt at redemption, and plane awesomeness
    Spike's redemption
    The series finale is great.
    Freaking Thunderdome
    Faith
    Some of the Slayerettes were cool, and most of the ones that weren't were killed.
    About the only thing that just didn't work at all was Kennedy, who they should have shot into the sun.

Edit: oh and school councilor Buffy didn't work either.

Joss Wheadon disavowed the movie. The series is a sequel to the non-produced original screenplay.

#Nerd
    You really are. I've never met a Buffy nerd before, at least not a dude-nerd, but it's cool. No really.

I get there is zero continuity between the film and the series, but the film was schlocky silliness that I actually liked. What I watched of the show was a bit angsty for me, as I recall. It's been a few years though and I was in college trying to get laid.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

20. Likes:

Raisor (03-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    You really are. I've never met a Buffy nerd before, at least not a dude-nerd, but it's cool. No really.

I get there is zero continuity between the film and the series, but the film was schlocky silliness that I actually liked. What I watched of the show was a bit angsty for me, as I recall. It's been a few years though and I was in college trying to get laid.
    I dig the movie too, especially Paul Reubens.

You should give the series another chance. Just skip the first season, or better yet, read the synopsis for it on Wikipedia and jump to season 2.
    Last edited by Raisor; 03-10-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Turn Off Ads?