Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Rey

Brian Rey

Thought this kid deserved his own thread. He is 3-4 again tonight and is now hitting .450 with a 1.467 OPS at Dayton. Granted the sample size is very small but he also had a solid season last year and is still only 23. He also strikes out very infrequently as evident by having only 56 strikeouts in 543 career plate appearances. I have no idea how his D is but he plays a couple pretty important positions in 2B and CF.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=rey---000bri

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Brian Rey

He's definitely worth keeping an eye on, but until a player has sustained success at AA, that eye will be wary.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    He's definitely worth keeping an eye on, but until a player has sustained success at AA, that eye will be wary.
    Visine will clear that up....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Visine will clear that up....
    Experience has taught me to not get overhyped for prospects (and Rey is definitely a prospect) who blow up at levels below AA.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Experience has taught me to not get overhyped for prospects (and Rey is definitely a prospect) who blow up at levels below AA.
    I mean, I guess.

If we expect prospects to dominate as they did in the minors as major leaguers, then yeah, I'd buy that. Too, if we're talking about a two-week set of stats, then that's also a prescient point.

But if we're talking about an entire season's worth of ABs? What offensive prospect has fizzled after putting up, say, a 900 OPS for a full season?

That's why I brought up the string of caveats. Rey had an OPS of .789 in 2019 his last "Semi" full season. On face value that might not seem so great until you factor in the league average OPS was .678. I also like that he is still only 23 and rarely strikes out. The fact that he can do all this at 2 of the more important positions on the field are even better. But again...I have no idea how good his D is but from a write-up from Doug did a couple of years ago it at least seems serviceable. He certainly is at the least someone to keep an eye on.

https://www.redsminorleagues.com/201...s-brian-rey-2/
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-17-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I mean, I guess.

If we expect prospects to dominate as they did in the minors as major leaguers, then yeah, I'd buy that. Too, if we're talking about a two-week set of stats, then that's also a prescient point.

But if we're talking about an entire season's worth of ABs? What offensive prospect has fizzled after putting up, say, a 900 OPS for a full season?
    Not a full season, but Caleb Van Blake was released after posting a .901 at the rookie level in 2019.

I'd be shocked if the minors weren't littered with guys like that.

That said, let me reiterate I'm not down on Rey at all. I'm always excited to see prospects doing well. Just don't want that excitement to get out in front of what he can/will actually do as he matriculates.

Not a full season, but Caleb Van Blake was released after posting a .901 at the rookie level in 2019.

I'd be shocked if the minors weren't littered with guys like that.

That said, let me reiterate I'm not down on Rey at all. I'm always excited to see prospects doing well. Just don't want that excitement to get out in front of what he can/will actually do as he matriculates.
    Rookie ball is not the same thing as High A.

With that said, Rey has about a 5% of being real IMHO.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

DocRed (05-22-2021),WrongVerb (05-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I mean, I guess.

.900 is a tough bar but Jose Siri comes to mind as a guy who had an awfully good full season in the minors and hasn't been worth a darn in the majors. We'll see if Brian Rey puts up a .900 but it's fun to follow

12. Likes:

BillDoran (05-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    .900 is a tough bar but Jose Siri comes to mind as a guy who had an awfully good full season in the minors and hasn't been worth a darn in the majors. We'll see if Brian Rey puts up a .900 but it's fun to follow
    Funny you should mention him....FWIW Jose Siri is raking in AAA this year. .429 Ave and 1.288 OPS

I wouldn't mind having him in system. We have bumpkus at OF in AAA
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Just noticed that he cracked Baseball America's Top 20 Hottest Prospects of the week at #18! (Hunter Greene #1!!) Nice to see the kid get some National attention.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...mpression=true

16. Likes:

BillDoran (05-21-2021),RED VAN HOT (05-21-2021),SirFelixCat (05-22-2021),texasdave (05-21-2021)

Rey promoted to AA...hope that doesn't jinx him!

18. Likes:

SirFelixCat (05-22-2021)

Cool. Challenge thy hitters. Hopefully he can continue his success.

20. Likes:

DocRed (05-21-2021),M2 (05-24-2021),Old school 1983 (05-21-2021),SirFelixCat (05-22-2021),Tuff Nut (05-21-2021)

Glad to see this. Here's to continued success....

22. Likes:

DocRed (05-21-2021),Old school 1983 (05-21-2021),SirFelixCat (05-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?