Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

Re: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

If the DH is in, I'd keep one of Moose or Suarez. Otherwise, I'd look hard to move both, though this will be very difficult to do.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    If the DH is in, I'd keep one of Moose or Suarez. Otherwise, I'd look hard to move both, though this will be very difficult to do.
    Funny how quickly Suarez's contract went from a bargain to baggage.

The Reds are pretty pot-committed right now. Castellano likely bolts, but they still have uncomfortable--by front office standards--commitments to Suarez ($11), Moustakas ($16), Gray ($10), Miley ($10), Shogo ($8) and of course Votto ($25). Per Spotrac, they've got $104 million on the books for next year (though that includes exercising options, so subtract Castellanos $16 million and a $7.5 million decision to made on Barnhart).

All that to say, the Reds are going to need cheap talent. Guys like Friedl--which is to say, under their first three years of organizational control--are extremely important to teams with middling or less payrolls. They're clearly not willing to spend to fill the 25 and 26 spots on the roster. If they can actually fill out the back of the roster with players that bring something to the table (not the Schrocks or Paytons of the world), the Reds would be better for it. It won't fix the big problems with the organization, but it's progress around the margins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    What happens to Suarez and Moose? I guess DH for one in this scheme. But Winker and Votto also DH candidates, Joey will be 38. If there’s a DH.

I like your thinking, but I’m concerned dollars/contracts may dictate some of these positions.

Also not sure Lopez will be a starter, but Reds may not get to that decision if Moose and Suarez are around with one at third base and India at second.

Lot of issues for 2022. Big question is how aggressive Reds will be in restructuring.
    With Castellanos likely gone, I think the OF can withstand Winker in LF all year. They need some good all around OF types for CF and RF. I don't see them internally unless Senzel gets healthy and becomes what we hoped. Suarez, Moose and Votto Share DH, 1B and 3B IMO with all rotating through the DH spot. The best team on the field probably has Suarez at DH with Votto at 1B and Moose at 3B.

I leave India at 2B for the next 10 years.

Lopez is trade bait IMO. Friedl probably is too since Shogo is likely taking a spot with with contract. If the Reds trade Naquin, there may be room for Friedl.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't want to get the thread too far off track, but why trade Lopez? He's not going to bring a whole lot and he may give you six or seven years of controllable years of talent. I get not wanting him to move India off second. Leave him there. Put Lopez at third unless you really think Senzel has offensive upside that you can't afford to sacrifice and a move to third will keep him healthy. Move the old and overpaid.

6. Likes:

DocRed (06-24-2021)

I don't want to get the thread too far off track, but why trade Lopez? He's not going to bring a whole lot and he may give you six or seven years of controllable years of talent. I get not wanting him to move India off second. Leave him there. Put Lopez at third unless you really think Senzel has offensive upside that you can't afford to sacrifice and a move to third will keep him healthy. Move the old and overpaid.
    Ya no point. I would guess that 29/30 GM's have never even heard of him. Hell I never heard of him before this year.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (06-24-2021)

You keep Lopez and Friedl because both have options and can be moved to AAA if need be.

That has massive value in and of itself.

Ditto Santillan, Gutierrez, O'Brien, and (if need be) Greene and Lodolo on the pitching front.

10. Likes:

HokieRed (06-24-2021)

I just don't think anybody will take the old and overpaid. If that's the case, Lopez future with the Reds is as 26th man. if they can't get better than that for him, then sure, keep him. IF they can get a reliever that they can keep for a couple years, I'd move him right now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Ya no point. I would guess that 29/30 GM's have never even heard of him. Hell I never heard of him before this year.
    I think the GMs know exactly who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I just don't think anybody will take the old and overpaid. If that's the case, Lopez future with the Reds is as 26th man. if they can't get better than that for him, then sure, keep him. IF they can get a reliever that they can keep for a couple years, I'd move him right now.
    Surely the old and overpaid will be difficult to move. Krall will have to be creative and they will have to eat a lot of salary. What's critical is to be very careful about extended contracts in the future. Period.

I'm as pleased as anyone that Friedl has rebounded this season. But to temper expectations, Mark Payton is doing better in AAA than Friedl. But Payton/Friedl/Shogo all fill a role. Backup CF. The Shogo show has another year to go after this one. It would not break my heart if he missed Japan and went back after this season. But probably not likely. Doesn't look like anyone else in the pipeline is close. Siani has been a major disappointment this year.

You absolutely hang on to Lopez until you see what he can do. This team is filled with infielders not pulling their weight.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

15. Likes:

Kinsm (08-20-2021)

Somehow I didn't know this about TJ Friedl. He's University of Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari's second cousin.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (08-03-2021),camisadelgolf (08-04-2021),Old school 1983 (08-03-2021),RED VAN HOT (08-03-2021)

Turn Off Ads?