Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    And spent/ saved well on their signings.

And had the wherewithal to sign him.
    They didn't save well, they just had that 5% extra they could go over, and as the team with the most overall pool money, it meant more for them to spend than everyone else.

And Kal, have you not followed any of my 40,000-something posts? I engage on a lot, often simply trying to just put factual information out there. That's all I've been trying to do with the Friedl narrative for 10 months now and it seems that even still, people don't quite have them on how his entire situation played out.

2. Likes:

Slyder (06-12-2017),SoTxRedsFan (06-12-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That was a harsh take by me I know but I could swear I've seen you with a bucket of cold water everytime someone pumps up TJ and his acquisition a bit too much. I will take you at your word however.
    I like Friedl but I personally would say, yes, the general consensus on here is a little higher than how I would feel about him. Outside of the public prospect rankers, most people who have seen a decent sample size would tell you Siri is a little better prospect than Friedl. I think many on here would be surprised or shocked by that. Note that the Reds are giving Siri nearly every start in center when he is in the lineup. There is a reason for that.

5. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-13-2017),SoTxRedsFan (06-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I like Friedl but I personally would say, yes, the general consensus on here is a little higher than how I would feel about him. Outside of the public prospect rankers, most people who have seen a decent sample size would tell you Siri is a little better prospect than Friedl. I think many on here would be surprised or shocked by that. Note that the Reds are giving Siri nearly every start in center when he is in the lineup. There is a reason for that.
    Siri's got loud tools - speed, arm. He also looks and swings like he should have power. Hasn't translated into a lot of XBH this season, but he gives you something to dream on. Friedl's going to have to tear it up at every step on the ladder. The ranking sites aren't giving him much pub either. He's a little reminiscent of Chris Heisey in that way. Might not get past sleeper prospect status.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'm guilty of being higher on Friedl than Siri and I am fully aware that Siri has the better tools. Redsof72's comments just further convinces me that the Reds need to buy out a couple of Hamilton's FA years. I think CF will be a wasteland when he's gone at least for a while. Siri may be one of those "light switch" guys who just suddenly starts putting up numbers to match his tools like somebody flicked on a switch. I'm probably reading too much into it, but this also makes me think that Trammell isn't a realistic CF option either. Probably a corner guy since he isn't getting any CF PT. .

I'd still like to see Friedl promoted so he can man CF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

REDREAD (06-13-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm guilty of being higher on Friedl than Siri and I am fully aware that Siri has the better tools. Redsof72's comments just further convinces me that the Reds need to buy out a couple of Hamilton's FA years. I think CF will be a wasteland when he's gone at least for a while. Siri may be one of those "light switch" guys who just suddenly starts putting up numbers to match his tools like somebody flicked on a switch. I'm probably reading too much into it, but this also makes me think that Trammell isn't a realistic CF option either. Probably a corner guy since he isn't getting any CF PT. .

I'd still like to see Friedl promoted so he can man CF.
    Trammell has a weak throwing arm, and so will be a left fielder going forward.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

A lot of Heisey comparisons. They are not really similar type players. I have made a Ryan Freel comparison before. As a hitter, if you want to go back a few years, the guy that would be a good comp is Chris Stynes. They are similar physically and in playing style. Both are/were very small but played hard, had some pop, could run. I like Friedl. He is the best player currently on the Dayton team. I think we all love the story. It is too early to say what his long term value will be.

If Freidl can play CF as well as reports insist he can, a bat that goes .275/ .335/ .400/ .735 (Stynes' career numbers) would be a first-division starter. (Think Lorenzo Cain or Christian Yelich today.) Apropos of nothing, Stynes was a top 100 prospect (#94 in 1991). He had some serious helium and was brought up to the majors from AA after limited ABs at that level.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 06-13-2017 at 10:16 AM.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (06-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    A lot of Heisey comparisons. They are not really similar type players. I have made a Ryan Freel comparison before. As a hitter, if you want to go back a few years, the guy that would be a good comp is Chris Stynes. They are similar physically and in playing style. Both are/were very small but played hard, had some pop, could run. I like Friedl. He is the best player currently on the Dayton team. I think we all love the story. It is too early to say what his long term value will be.
    The point wasn't that Friedl and Heisey are similar players, it's that Heisey was never a highly-rated prospect and had to prove himself at every level. Friedl might be on that same path. I expect he'll always face the "But can he do it at the next level?" question.

I don't have any hot takes on Friedl, but just want to say that this is a great discussion with informed opinions and respectful disagreement.

He'll be a fun guy to follow going forward.

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The point wasn't that Friedl and Heisey are similar players, it's that Heisey was never a highly-rated prospect and had to prove himself at every level. Friedl might be on that same path. I expect he'll always face the "But can he do it at the next level?" question.
    I believe both Schebler and Duvall also faced that question. Obviously not reason enough to be sure, but reason enough to hope and keep following. .

16. Likes:

REDREAD (06-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    I believe both Schebler and Duvall also faced that question. Obviously not reason enough to be sure, but reason enough to hope and keep following. .
    I'm not down on him by any means, just pointing out that hot prospect status may forever elude him no matter how well he does. If I had to pick a Reds prospect he reminded me of, I'd go with Chris Denorfia. Both have more pop than you'd assume by looking at them, a solid approach at the plate, can play across the OF and have good - though not great - speed. Main difference is Denorfia took two years to get rolling in the minors while Friedl's been more of an instant hit.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not down on him by any means, just pointing out that hot prospect status may forever elude him no matter how well he does. If I had to pick a Reds prospect he reminded me of, I'd go with Chris Denorfia. Both have more pop than you'd assume by looking at them, a solid approach at the plate, can play across the OF and have good - though not great - speed. Main difference is Denorfia took two years to get rolling in the minors while Friedl's been more of an instant hit.
    But will he be the Redszone darling that Chris Denorfia was once upon a time, and Ben Broussard before him?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    But will he be the Redszone darling that Chris Denorfia was once upon a time, and Ben Broussard before him?
    We can only hope. We were generally right when it came to Denorfia. Had a 10-year career. Higher WAR and OPS+ than Drew Stubbs.

20. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-13-2017)

Dude is having quite the year and is off to a scorching start at AA. I missed the news of the promotion myself. Perhaps his ceiling is a bit higher than we thought.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (06-28-2018)

Having never seen him play, he appears to be maybe another Ryan Freel?

Turn Off Ads?