Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

Re: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

I just love this guy.

He's already got a Walk a Hit, 2 Runs Scored, 2 Stolen Bases, and it's only the 3rd inning.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I just love this guy.

He's already got a Walk a Hit, 2 Runs Scored, 2 Stolen Bases, and it's only the 3rd inning.
    People pointing out the lack of offense in that league are correct. Friedl's numbers look pedestrian, and he had a horrid start, but his wRC+ is 121 (better than both Trammell and Siri) coming into today. Seeing how the other parts of his game - defense, baserunning - are pretty well developed, he seems the one guy who may have earned a mid-year promotion to AAA. The Reds have a ton of journeyman having career years in the AAA OF, but Refsnyder, OGrady and even Ervin, shouldn't standing in Friedl's way. Until the big league roster is sorted out when the Reds start selling, those guys should be pushed aside and the AAA outfield should primarily be the guys still young enough to possibly become something. For me that's Longhi in LF, Friedl in CF an Aquino in RF. Ervin can be the 4th OF and O'grady and Refsnyder can stick to 1B. Perhaps Refsnyder can get another look in the IF. Blake Trahan isn't a must play. We know he's the IF glove in case of emergency - Paul Janish for a new generation. Christain Colon has cooled way off and Sherman Johnson can be moved to make room. O'Grady at 1B, Blandino at 2B, Colon, Trahan et al at SS and Refsnyder at 3B. Refsnyder can play 2B on occasion with Blandino moving around.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-09-2019)

He finally got stopped today (Lookouts lost 1-0). Boy, that was some streak he was on. See if he can start a new one.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He finally got stopped today (Lookouts lost 1-0). Boy, that was some streak he was on. See if he can start a new one.
    Well, they gave him the day off the next game. Maybe it inspired Trammel, as Taylor earned his first MiPOD Award.

Back to work, Friedl is ready to stay hot. A Walk, Stolen Base, and then a 2-run HR to give the Lookouts a lead in the 5th. One more Plate Appearance to go tonight.

Even though Chatanooga only scored one run tonight, Friedl bettered his Avg, OBP, and OPS.

He is a 24 year old, injured, regressing minor leaguer who isnt even a top 350 MLB prospect. He will never sniff the majors

Quote Originally Posted by AandW View Post
    He is a 24 year old, injured, regressing minor leaguer who isnt even a top 350 MLB prospect. He will never sniff the majors
    When you're definitely a new poster and not someone who has posted on Redszone before.

Don't totally disagree with the overall assessment, though I think he can make it to The Show as a role player.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    When you're definitely a new poster and not someone who has posted on Redszone before.

Don't totally disagree with the overall assessment, though I think he can make it to The Show as a role player.
    Hard to assess his season. Seemingly put it together before the injury derailed him. He was .260/.361/.442 after he spent April in the toilet. That's the same territory that Stu Fairchild is in (same basic age as Friedl). I'm a little concerned about the BA, because T.J. needs that to be part of his game. He needs to hit .280+ to be all he can be. Yet he'll probably have the chance to start in AAA next season and make his case.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

TJ has enough bat to ball skill and athletic ability to make it to MLB and I think he will. How long he stays is another question. Not sure why people pop up to troll on a guy when he is down.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    TJ has enough bat to ball skill and athletic ability to make it to MLB and I think he will. How long he stays is another question. Not sure why people pop up to troll on a guy when he is down.
    How many 300-400 ranked milb prospects make the majors?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rankings are subjective snapshots of what is a very fluid development. In addition, for any ranking system #400 is closer to #50 in terms of talent/skill/ceiling/etc, than #50 is to #1.

That said, it's too soon to tell what will become of Friedl's career, but there are reasons for optimism.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

757690 (08-20-2019),Edd Roush (08-20-2019),Kingspoint (08-25-2019)

I’m guessing Aquino and VanMeter were in that range at the beginning of this season. You’d be surprised how many “non elite” prospects make it to the majors.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

JCM11 (08-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’m guessing Aquino and VanMeter were in that range at the beginning of this season. You’d be surprised how many “non elite” prospects make it to the majors.
    Yup.

If you're within two years of the average age for the league and a starter in AA, chances are pretty good that you'll end up with at least a cup of coffee in the majors.

18. Likes:

RedlegJake (08-20-2019)

Does T.J. Friedl deserve a chance at some point?

I suspect he's likely a AAAA guy, but he's just 25 years old, and he's performed at every stop.

He's got an .831 OPS/123 wRC+ in Louisville thus far. He's got a wRC+ >100 at every stop since 2017. He's a career .369 OBP in the minors. I suspect he plays at least a passable CF. He's a lefty.

I think he'll likely need to catch a break to get his shot--he doesn't profile as a guy you clear a spot for--but if the Reds are out of contention by the trade deadline, I'd deal Naquin for anything I can get and give Friedl an extended audition.

If he can prove to be an on-base guy that can play across the outfield, worst case scenario is a solid fifth OF (Friedl and Aquino make an interesting reserve OF). He's been around quite a while, and he's got next to no hype, but there's an off chance he can be a league-average starting CF on the cheap for a few years.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 06-23-2021 at 12:28 PM.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-23-2021)

I'd like to see him get some play at some point this season..seems as if he could do as well or better than some of the others we have trotted out there.

22. Likes:

DocRed (06-24-2021)

Turn Off Ads?