Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

Re: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    I consider Friedl to be greatly underrated, though it is interesting to see how Baseball America viewed him after his USA Baseball experience.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...yQrUB9Vl41b.97

He's listed just ahead of an assortment of guys I expect to go in round 2 this year (Walls, Thomas, Burger). That is pretty high praise.

I would like to see him start 2017 in Daytona.
    That's a good catch, Walls and Burger are even considered possible late 1st rounders.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    I think you got it right with the power. What would send him up a lot of boards is if he showed average power. Right now, I think most publications rate his it at somewhere around a 30. If he displays 50 power, he's a top 100 prospect. But that's asking quite a lot.
    He looks like a strong kid, and from the videos floating around, he's got some thump and lift to his swing. It looks like he's got more pop than some of the reports say, but I guess we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    He looks like a strong kid, and from the videos floating around, he's got some thump and lift to his swing. It looks like he's got more pop than some of the reports say, but I guess we'll find out.
    Last year in Billings, he slugged .545.

And, while it's true that slugging is easy in the Pioneer League, he ranked 17th in the league (min. 20 GP). There might be more pop there than a 35 guy.

5. Likes:

cincyinco (03-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    The MLB.com list, MLBPipeline, as it is known, is motivated by other factors. They want future clicks every time they do a story when they can say, he's Reds #6 prospect. All the MiLB team websites are under the umbrella of MLBam, so you will notice all season that the stories that are popping up on the websites written by someone from MLB.com focus on guys that will generate clicks. Every tweet from them with a link to a story will also include that the player is x prospect. Their rankings are motivated by click potential, not baseball potential.
    I have spent a very long time working in media and communications, and I can't begin to unravel how someone would construct a top 100 list in order to maximize click potential. It would be infinitely easier just to list the kids you think actually are the top 100, which is what I assume Callis and Mayo do since they're prospects guys and not media analysts. Feel free to disagree with them, but you've got this jumbled. Linking content is not evidence of a plot to ignore baseball potential in favor of "click potential."
    Last edited by M2; 03-14-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-15-2017),New Fever (03-14-2017),Tom Servo (03-14-2017),TRF (03-21-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Last year in Billings, he slugged .545.

And, while it's true that slugging is easy in the Pioneer League, he ranked 17th in the league (min. 20 GP). There might be more pop there than a 35 guy.
    Friedl KILLED the ball in his first four games. He slugged 1.250 in those four games with a .563 average. That's a .687 IsoP.

In the final 25 games he slugged .438 with a .314 average. That is a .124 IsoP.

I know, I'm making small samples of an already small sample, but one of those jives a lot more with the scouting reports than the others. I like the bat speed, and I certainly think he's got more pop than say, Billy Hamilton. But in order for him to be a Top 100 caliber guy after 2017, he's going to need to either hit for significantly more power than he's projected to, or hit .350 and steal 40 bags. The profile just isn't there for him to make that kind of leap unless something in that profile dramatically changes, or he just outplays the crap out of his tools.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I have spent a very long time working in media and communications, and I can't begin to unravel how someone would construct a top 100 list in order to maximize click potential. It would be infinitely easier just to list the kids you think actually are the top 100, which is what I assume Callis and Mayo do since they're prospects guys and not media analysts. Feel free to disagree with them, but you've got this jumbled. Linking content is not evidence of a plot to ignore baseball potential in favor of "click potential."
    I think redsof72 was being a bit hyperbolic. If "click potential" were the only factor, MLBPipeline would have put Tim Tebow as the #1 prospect. I think he means to say that click potential is a very big factor and not the only factor.

He still bangs

The fact that Aquino is 22nd, outpaced by Alf Rod by a good 16 slots, tells you all you need to know about MLB pipeline.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    The fact that Aquino is 22nd, outpaced by Alf Rod by a good 16 slots, tells you all you need to know about MLB pipeline.
    You're looking at an old list. Aquino is ranked 6th, Rodriguez 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think redsof72 was being a bit hyperbolic. If "click potential" were the only factor, MLBPipeline would have put Tim Tebow as the #1 prospect. I think he means to say that click potential is a very big factor and not the only factor.
    You're 100% right about Tebow. Yet I'm not sure how "click potential" would be any factor let alone a very big one. No one knows these kids until they're high draft picks or highly rated prospects. Even then, it's a fairly small slice of baseball fans that follow these things. Their name value is fairly minimal. What's going to get you the most clicks is constructing the best list. As these kids do well, people will want to read more about them (including back content like scouting reports). If you pick kids whose baseball potential is nothing but vapor, no one's going to want to read about them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If Friedl becomes a 4th/5th OF and reserve CF with some hit ability off the bench in a couple of years he'll be pretty valuable IMO. More will be gravy.

15. Likes:

corkedbat (03-15-2017),OhioRiverBarge (03-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I guess radio guys need spring training too, I'm fairly confident that wasn't hit over the left field wall.

17. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I guess radio guys need spring training too, I'm fairly confident that wasn't hit over the left field wall.
    He was talking about it from point of view of the fans in right. It's a newer fan friendly kind of announcing trying to give a "more inclusive" feel to patrons in all parts of the ballpark. Tomorrow, the first 500 fans will receive a shiny participation trophy.

I like him a lot. I bet he would be an early second-rounder (at the latest) if he was in the 2017 draft.

I hope he skips Dayton and goes straight to Daytona, and I think that is what will happen. He's the same age as Senzel/Okey who will also be in Daytona most likely.

My expectation is that Friedl will end up being a decent starting MLB OF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I hope he skips Dayton and goes straight to Daytona, and I think that is what will happen
    The plan, as I have heard from various sources, including one who, let's just say, has a pretty important vote, is for the Dayton outfield to be Trammell-Friedl-Siri. Plans do sometimes change, even after guys get off the plane in their assigned city. Heck, two years ago, Nolan Becker was on the Dayton bus heading to the first game when he was told he would be moved up a level. Last year, Jesus Reyes arrived in Dayton and got moved down after the first workout. But Friedl is expected to go to Dayton.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (03-31-2017)

Turn Off Ads?