Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft Discussion II

Re: 2017 Draft Discussion II

Hoping events push JB out of the conversation. Scares me even more than a HS arm @ #2.

2. Turn Off Ads?

CHICAGO -- With the Twins holding the No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 Draft on June 12, chief baseball officer Derek Falvey said he plans to be heavily involved in the decision-making process and will help scout the top amateur prospects.

Falvey flew to Southern California on Friday to watch right-hander Hunter Greene, ranked as MLB.com's No. 1 amateur prospect, play for Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks. Greene, who also plays shortstop, struck out 12 batters while reportedly hitting 100 mph with his fastball.

"It was good," Falvey said. "I love seeing amateur players. It's hard not to love that part of it. It's how I got my start in baseball and it's what I still love to do. I've seen a lot of video of some guys and so being able to see them in person is good."

Falvey wouldn't comment on the specifics of what he saw from Greene, but noted that it's important to get a feel for more than just a player's baseball skills.

"You can do a lot with video, but when you get to meet somebody and interact and meet the parents, teammates and coaches it gives you a broader perspective," Falvey said. "I think our scouts are all doing that, too, but it's nice to have another set of eyes."
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/223249...draft-process/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Greene is still far and away my #1 choice. I hope the Twins pass on him.
    Go BLUE!!!

5. Likes:

BillDoran (04-10-2017),Edd Roush (04-10-2017),marcshoe (04-10-2017),nmculbreth (04-10-2017)

If I'm the Twins I take McKay and let him pitch and DH. I don't think the physical demands of playing the field would make it possible for it to happen in the NL (even at first base), but I think it is doable to be a starting pitcher and a designated hitter.

McKay makes a lot more sense for the Twins than he does us. They are pretty much in the same boat as we are as far as market size and not being able to afford a bust this high in the draft. They might be persuaded to go with a college guy first, especially considering the whole history of nobody taking a HS RHP first.

They might be as interested in Bukauskus as we are.

I think the thing lost in all this is that the Twins are very much like the Reds in that they could want a more solid floor sooner, as opposed to a higher ceiling 5 years from now.

It's just as likely that they take a McKay or JB as it is a Green.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaswaynem View Post
    I think the thing lost in all this is that the Twins are very much like the Reds in that they could want a more solid floor sooner, as opposed to a higher ceiling 5 years from now.

It's just as likely that they take a McKay or JB as it is a Green.
    I've considered this as well. The Twins don't have much in the way of pitching prospect depth, so a high end college pitching prospect makes sense for them at #1. I'm hoping they go McKay or JB and Greene falls.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

http://twinsdaily.com/articles.html/...ns-brass-r5488

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/09...hunter-greene/

Those are legitimate considerations, but Twins will likely take Greene given the press he is getting.

LOL, well it isn't that tough a calculation for the Reds, is it?

Be ready for Greene or one other guy.

Much tougher to draft 8th and still expect a top player but need multiple contingencies.

Just keep adding that young controllable talent, Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    LOL, well it isn't that tough a calculation for the Reds, is it?

Be ready for Greene or one other guy.

Much tougher to draft 8th and still expect a top player but need multiple contingencies.

Just keep adding that young controllable talent, Reds.
    I just read a thread on a twins message board about Greene.

1.) Holy crap we have like 30 posters on the milb forum here that are better than anything that board has to offer.

2.) The consensus is "no" on Greene. One dude said because Greene is more physically mature than his current competition. No duh.

I hope this is not true, but I read the other day that the start last week was possibly going to be Greene's last pitching appearance of the year. If that is the case, it is clearly under the advice of his advisers, but it leaves a very bad taste for me. The playoffs in CA are uber-competitive and would be a real proving ground. Hiding from the best competition to preserve value and reputation would be hugely disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    I hope this is not true, but I read the other day that the start last week was possibly going to be Greene's last pitching appearance of the year. If that is the case, it is clearly under the advice of his advisers, but it leaves a very bad taste for me. The playoffs in CA are uber-competitive and would be a real proving ground. Hiding from the best competition to preserve value and reputation would be hugely disappointing.
    Or, an acknowledgement that risking harm to his arm is insane given the payday that's approaching. IF he is shut down to preserve his arm, I sure don't read anything negative into that...

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I just read a thread on a twins message board about Greene.

1.) Holy crap we have like 30 posters on the milb forum here that are better than anything that board has to offer.

2.) The consensus is "no" on Greene. One dude said because Greene is more physically mature than his current competition. No duh.

1) I've read quite a few baseball forums and Redszone really is the best I've seen. I'll admit I may be biased due to, you know, the Reds, but this site has consistent high quality posts. Credit to the mods as well. They do an excellent job. But for all I know maybe there's a Rangerszone out there that's just as good.

2) That's crazy. I'm fairly certain a 100 mph fastball mixed with above average to plus secondary offerings is going to play at any level, regardless of how mature the hitters are. And it's not like Greene is done bulking up either. Let's hope the Twins organization thinks the same as their fanbase (and the Reds don't).

Question guys; rookie at this trying to broaden possible draftee knowledge.

How does the College/HS schedule work. Obviously not as intense and MILB/MLB. Is is weekend series every week?

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Question guys; rookie at this trying to broaden possible draftee knowledge.

How does the College/HS schedule work. Obviously not as intense and MILB/MLB. Is is weekend series every week?
    College will usually have a 3 or 4 game series every weekend and 1 mid week game.

HS will have 2 to 3 games a week separated by a few days.

Turn Off Ads?