Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft Discussion II

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2017 Draft Discussion II

And just like that, we see Haseley going 11th in the mock by Crawford. Calling him a competent fielder though suggests he may not be on the same level as Benitnendi though when it comes to that overall package.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    What are we even looking at with McKay's bat? Doesn't seem like that's been covered much.

That line about Greene being leaps and bounds better than everyone else is unfortunately ringing pretty true with less than two months to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that it's mostly because he's been preferred at the top for his arm, though many saw him as a top half of the 1st round bat, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Christopher Crawford with a new mock

http://herosports.com/mlb/mock-draft...vin-smith-c6c6
    This is really intriguing to me. I'm starting to come around on the idea of taking McKay on an "under slot" deal and spending bigger throughout the remaining 9 rounds.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    This is really intriguing to me. I'm starting to come around on the idea of taking McKay on an "under slot" deal and spending bigger throughout the remaining 9 rounds.
    If McKay is a consensus top-two player, as has been intimated by some publications, I'm not sure I see his incentive to sign for significantly under slot. There will be some savings because nobody at the top gets full slot, but don't see a huge opportunity for savings.

So Reds draft McKay and hold onto Lorenzen. Draft him primarily as a pitcher.

Work with them both on playing some outfield, first base, maybe some third.

You now have lefty/righty reserves from the pitching staff, you can go with 13 or even 14 pitchers on the team.

This could be another out-of-the-box Williams/Price special.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-12-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And just like that, we see Haseley going 11th in the mock by Crawford. Calling him a competent fielder though suggests he may not be on the same level as Benitnendi though when it comes to that overall package.
    Baseball America differs from Crawford on Haseley's defense, as they referred to him as an athletic CFer with middle-of-the-diamond defense.

I think Crawford may be throwing crap at the wall here. I would guess there's about a 5% chance the Reds draft McKay as a hitter. Dude is limited to first base. I would be disappointed if the Reds drafted McKay as a hitter over Adam Haseley, Royce Lewis, Austin Beck, or even Jordon Adell.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So Reds draft McKay and hold onto Lorenzen. Draft him primarily as a pitcher.

Work with them both on playing some outfield, first base, maybe some third.

You now have lefty/righty reserves from the pitching staff, you can go with 13 or even 14 pitchers on the team.

This could be another out-of-the-box Williams/Price special.
    Interesting idea but I'm hoping for a lot more out of the #2 pick. This is your best chance to pick up a potential superstar for relatively nothing.

Assuming Greene is already off the board, if Bukauskus turns into another Lincecum I'd hate to miss out on those years. Even if it makes our roster crazy versatile. Lorenzen wouldn't even be here for much longer by the time McKay gets here. Even assuming McKay gets here in 2 years that would only give you a couple of years of having both Lorenzen and McKay on the same roster without a signing.

10. Likes:

marcshoe (04-13-2017)

Royce Lewis belted 2 home runs tonight in the National Classic semifinal.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-13-2017 at 02:46 AM.

12. Likes:

cincyinco (04-13-2017),Edd Roush (04-13-2017),nmculbreth (04-13-2017),RED VAN HOT (04-14-2017),Tom Servo (04-13-2017),WrongVerb (04-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Interesting idea but I'm hoping for a lot more out of the #2 pick. This is your best chance to pick up a potential superstar for relatively nothing.

Assuming Greene is already off the board, if Bukauskus turns into another Lincecum I'd hate to miss out on those years. Even if it makes our roster crazy versatile. Lorenzen wouldn't even be here for much longer by the time McKay gets here. Even assuming McKay gets here in 2 years that would only give you a couple of years of having both Lorenzen and McKay on the same roster without a signing.
    Lot of assumptions built in here. Bukauskas a "potential superstar?" Another Lincecum? If so, take him sure, absolutely - but I don't think it's an established fact or necessarily the consensus view.

Reds shouldn't take McKay due to this versatility factor. But they should consider it as a plus in their evaluations of him as a candidate. If they draft him as a pitcher they still can find ways to use his bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Lot of assumptions built in here. Bukauskas a "potential superstar?" Another Lincecum? If so, take him sure, absolutely - but I don't think it's an established fact or necessarily the consensus view.

Reds shouldn't take McKay due to this versatility factor. But they should consider it as a plus in their evaluations of him as a candidate. If they draft him as a pitcher they still can find ways to use his bat.
    I'd call a pitcher with two double plus pitches and a third above average pitch a potential superstar. The key word being potential. Jay Bruce had huge potential too. So did Yorman. And nobody picked Votto to be an MVP coming up through the minors. It's the MLB draft. It's the biggest crapshoot draft there is. All we have are assumptions and guesses as to what's going to happen in 5 years. That also probably applies to McKay as well, I'm just going for the guy with the loudest tools since their production is relatively equal.

And I'm not the only one that have made the comparison between Lincecum and Bukauskus around here. That's why I said "if". He might also end up an often-injured setup guy. But name me pitchers in MLB right now with two double plus pitches. As in two pitches who are arguably the best in all of baseball. Kershaw? That's special.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I'd call a pitcher with two double plus pitches and a third above average pitch a potential superstar. The key word being potential. Jay Bruce had huge potential too. So did Yorman. And nobody picked Votto to be an MVP coming up through the minors. It's the MLB draft. It's the biggest crapshoot draft there is. All we have are assumptions and guesses as to what's going to happen in 5 years. That also probably applies to McKay as well, I'm just going for the guy with the loudest tools since their production is relatively equal.

And I'm not the only one that have made the comparison between Lincecum and Bukauskus around here. That's why I said "if". He might also end up an often-injured setup guy. But name me pitchers in MLB right now with two double plus pitches. As in two pitches who are arguably the best in all of baseball. Kershaw? That's special.
    But you are aware that the effort in Bukauskus' delivery has given rise to some concern. And it's been said that these mechanics could result in a switch to the bullpen.

With these issues, "potential superstar" is a little strong.

As for potential, all these guys in the upper tier have very good potential. At this point, though, there doesn't seem to be a consensus that any one is the best after Greene.

Bukauskus is a candidate for it, sure. I don't see a consensus on it yet, let's see what the pundits think as they drill down before the draft.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-13-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Wow, look at this name:

Logan Warmoth

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wow, look at this name:

Logan Warmoth
    If the Reds go with an arm at #2, then hopefully Warmoth will be in play at #32.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wow, look at this name:

Logan Warmoth
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-13-2017)

McKay threw 8, one-hit, 8K, 2BB shutout innings against Georgia Tech today. Went 2-4 at the plate.

21. Likes:

cincyinco (04-14-2017),lollipopcurve (04-14-2017),NC Reds (04-13-2017),OnBaseMachine (04-14-2017),tcnoles1 (04-13-2017),Tom Servo (04-13-2017)

Turn Off Ads?