Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566

Thread: 2017 Draft Discussion II

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2017 Draft Discussion II

I'll also ask, what my thoughts on a 19-year-old Tyler Mahle have to do with my current thoughts on Tyler Mahle? He's nowhere near the same guy that he was then.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd rather read about actual draft news and not an argument over plus/plus/plus. What is this? Math class?

4. Likes:

blakesta12 (05-24-2017),podgejeff_ (05-24-2017),Rojo Rijo (05-24-2017),SoTxRedsFan (05-24-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

757690 (05-24-2017)

When I synthesize all these opinions, articles, facts, I still come out the same way.
    I'd like to see the Reds draft Hunter Greene.

He simply seems to be a rare baseball talent. He is certainly higher risk than Kyle Wright and some others, but he's the one who could be dominant.

I remember watching Doc Gooden pitch in his first few years. In his second year, at age 20, he was dazzling. The late Jose Fernandez more recently, at age 20, 172 IP and 111 hits allowed. Remarkable talents, can't miss viewing.

It's no sure thing at all, but from what I've read, Greene has some chance at being at or near that level. That would be so exciting for Reds fans.

I would take the chance on it. Once the Reds begin winning more, draft position will get weaker, they will not have that kind of opportunity maybe for a long while.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-24-2017 at 02:54 PM.

8. Likes:

Benihana (05-24-2017),BillDoran (05-24-2017),Mitri (05-24-2017),Rojo Rijo (05-24-2017)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

The MLB.com scouting report has 3 of his 4 pitches at 55 (above average) or higher while also stating he "still has a great deal of projection left". Biggest knock on him seems to be consistency. Multiple scouting reports have talked about slider and curve both flashing as plus pitches, but not consistently enough for them to grade out as plus right now. Has anyone read anything about his mechanics being an issue?
    Last edited by SoTxRedsFan; 05-24-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Man I'm jonesing for a new mock draft. We're less than 3 weeks until the big day.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Man I'm jonesing for a new mock draft. We're less than 3 weeks until the big day.
    Sporting news just published theirs, and have the Reds taking Greene (McKay #1)

2. Reds: Hunter Greene, RHP/SS, Notre Dame High (Sherman Oaks, Calif.)
    Worth noting: Greene might be the most recognizable name in the draft, thanks to the Sports Illustrated cover story last month. He deserves the attention, too. Like McKay, he has the chance to be a star either as a position player (he’s a shortstop) or as a pitcher. And like McKay, his ceiling is probably higher as a pitcher. Unlike McKay, though, Greene has reportedly topped 100 mph with his fastball, which makes him pretty desirable. It’s hard to imagine he’d drop past the top three spots in this draft.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...x1657zo3p2uh6q

12. Likes:

M2 (05-24-2017),Tom Servo (05-24-2017)

2017 Draft Discussion II

What about Otani? Apologies if he's already been discussed. He looks every bit the prospect that Greene and McKay are to me.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...hei-otani.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    When I synthesize all these opinions, articles, facts, I still come out the same way.
    I'd like to see the Reds draft Hunter Greene.

He simply seems to be a rare baseball talent. He is certainly higher risk than Kyle Wright and some others, but he's the one who could be dominant.

I remember watching Doc Gooden pitch in his first few years. In his second year, at age 20, he was dazzling. The late Jose Fernandez more recently, at age 20, 172 IP and 111 hits allowed. Remarkable talents, can't miss viewing.

It's no sure thing at all, but from what I've read, Greene has some chance at being at or near that level. That would be so exciting for Reds fans.

I would take the chance on it. Once the Reds begin winning more, draft position will get weaker, they will not have that kind of opportunity maybe for a long while.
    I'm with you. I 100% prefer Greene to anyone else at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm jonesing for the RZ mock draft. Jake needs to get on it!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    What about Otani? Apologies if he's already been discussed. He looks every bit the prospect that Greene and McKay are to me.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...hei-otani.html
    Not sure what about what. He will be a free agent-ish international guy once he is posted. And instantly be the #1 prospect in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Not sure what about what. He will be a free agent-ish international guy once he is posted. And instantly be the #1 prospect in baseball.
    Ah, my bad. I was thinking he would be draftable. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

So what's the story on Evan White? Is he going to be available at 32 or 38? If so, do the Reds take him? Seems like a pretty advanced bat and great athleticism.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?