Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi

Thought I would start a thread to discuss Episode 8 of Star Wars, due out in December 2017. Most recent tidbit involves a fake fan made teaser trailer (which actually fooled me for a moment on Facebook) and a legit image of Rey wielding a light saber which *seems* to legitimize the prevailing theory that she is one of (if not the only) last Jedi (which is apparently either singular or plural as noun).

Name:  Rey-holding-the-Skywalker-lightsaber-834107.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  37.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RedEye; 04-12-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: The Last Jedi

They already killed Han Solo.

Carrie Fisher is dead, which means (functionally) no more Leia.

If they kill off Luke Skywalker in this movie, I may walk out.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

4. Likes:

Joseph (04-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

So I take it you are hoping that this title means "Jedi" in its plural incarnation...

“Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

In case you somehow missed it:

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Thought I would start a thread to discuss Episode 8 of Star Wars, due out in December 2017. Most recent tidbit involves a fake fan made teaser trailer (which actually fooled me for a moment on Facebook) and a legit image of Rey wielding a light saber which *seems* to legitimize the prevailing theory that she is one of (if not the only) last Jedi (which is apparently either singular or plural as noun).
    From what I understand, Rian Johnson has already come out and said that Luke is "The Last Jedi", and that it's meant to be singular. Now obviously this could all be redirection (coupled with Luke's last line of the trailer) taken out of context, but that's at least what's been said so far.

Get ready to walk, killing off all of the old characters was probably #1 on their plan for these movies.
    Go Gators!

9. Likes:

Joseph (04-24-2017)

Why? The future is with the new characters. Did you really want a movie starring the old characters in their 60s and 70s?

Hey, nothing wrong with old people!

Anyway, this may seem obvious, but I assume that the title both refers to Luke and portends a shift, both in focus and for the greater state of the galaxy. Maybe transformation would be a better word than shift. We're not only moving from Luke to Rey, we're moving to a a different substance, I think.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post

Anyway, this may seem obvious, but I assume that the title both refers to Luke and portends a shift, both in focus and for the greater state of the galaxy. Maybe transformation would be a better word than shift. We're not only moving from Luke to Rey, we're moving to a a different substance, I think.
    I agree, I think Luke wants an end to the Jedi, that doesn't mean an end to force-users.

I don't have anything wrong with old people, I'm just saying - why would anyone want a movie starring Han, Leia, and Luke?

I don't even think Luke wants to end the Jedi, per se -- I imagine that he has no desire to train anyone or revive the Jedi order after his failure with Kylo Ren and his first class, and I assume he's going to initially tell Rey he will not train her (Luke's "resting state" is whiny, that never changes). But, I suspect at least part of the movie's focus will be on Rey convincing Luke to try one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post

It's the new and improved force, with fresh lemon scent!!!
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

FWIW, Disney has announced that Episode IX will diverge from its two predecessors and be released on May 24, 2019 rather than at Christmas. Instead, December 2018 will feature the as-yet untitled Han Solo origin film with Donald Glover as young Lando C.

I figure the end of the Jedi will be like Buffy declaring that the rule about 1 slayer is silly and that Luke's goal is to have everyone attuned to the force and that this is the way balance is brought.

that and I think it is actually Kylo saying that it is time for the Jedi to end.
    Last edited by klw; 04-27-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I figure the end of the Jedi will be like Buffy declaring that the rule about 1 slayer is silly and that Luke's goal is to have everyone attuned to the force and that this is the way balance is brought.

that and I think it is actually Kylo saying that it is time for the Jedi to end.
    From a purely business point of view, I don't see any way Disney signs off on a future for the Star Wars franchise that doesn't include the Jedi Order. Maybe they look different from the quasi-monastic group that Lucas wrote them as in the prequels, but I can't see the term "Jedi" and the idea of "Jedi Knights" disappearing from the Star Wars universe.

They call me "chef"

From a purely business point of view, I don't see any way Disney signs off on a future for the Star Wars franchise that doesn't include the Jedi Order. Maybe they look different from the quasi-monastic group that Lucas wrote them as in the prequels, but I can't see the term "Jedi" and the idea of "Jedi Knights" disappearing from the Star Wars universe.
    I think "We're all Jedis" would be a huge merchandise seller.

Turn Off Ads?