Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Last Jedi

Re: The Last Jedi

Rian Johnson has outdone himself...EPIC!
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I absolutely hated it.

Lifelong SW fan — legitimately questioning if Rian Johnson actually likes Star Wars.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I absolutely hated it.

Lifelong SW fan — legitimately questioning if Rian Johnson actually likes Star Wars.
    I can see that. He certainly likes LotR, though.

What interested me was the interplay between the light and dark sides, as one can't truly build its strength without conflict with the other.

In the end I probably rank it beside episode VII, but behind VI, V, & IV.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I can see that. He certainly likes LotR, though.

What interested me was the interplay between the light and dark sides, as one can't truly build its strength without conflict with the other.
    Which is interesting — but completely flying in the face of everything we know or has been established about the nature of “the force,” Jedi, etc.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Which is interesting — but completely flying in the face of everything we know or has been established about the nature of “the force,” Jedi, etc.
    SPOILERS!
    SPOILERS!
    SPOILERS!

There were things I liked and things I strongly disliked (Leia in space scene - WTF), but, to be fair, people’s biggest gripe about TFA was that it was basically just a retelling of ANH. I think this episode was the actual restart of the Star Wars universe. Thought it was pretty great how the handled Luke. It would be boring if Luke ended up some perfect Jedi Master.

As for your point about “the force” I think they established the Jedi are not as perfect and just as they are perceived.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Last edited by WrongVerb; 12-15-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Highlighting your text isn’t working, at least on mobile

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Highlighting your text isn’t working, at least on mobile
    Weird. It works on my Android phone.

I'm going to leave it as is because I don't want to put any spoilers out there right now.

We can just make a spoiler thread

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    That's a bad thing?
    I was poking fun at the backlash of people who were angry that a female character was the hero.

I absolutely hated it.

Sorry to hear that. I thought Rogue One was a bit of a mess, so I'm probably not going to like this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I was poking fun at the backlash of people who were angry that a female character was the hero.
    Just spoke to my cousin who hated the movie because “there’s no way a little girl would be such a good fighter.”

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I thought Rogue One was a bit of a mess, so I'm probably not going to like this at all.
    Also a lifelong SW fan: I didn’t hate it. There were things I really liked and things I really disliked.

I absolutely hated it.

Welcome to the world of people running your favorite franchise and barely hiding their loathing of it.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 12-15-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Welcome to the world of people running your favorite franchise and barely hiding their loathing of it.
    Rian Johnson is actually a huge Star Wars fan.

wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll put this here:

TNT (or perhaps TBS) ran a star wars "marathon" over the weekend. Episodes 1-2 on friday, 3-4 on saturday, 5-6 on Sunday. Sometime late saturday night after getting the kids to bed and cleaning up from a party we had for my youngest birthday I was searching thru channels and found episode 3 & 4 on TV. Figured it was good enough background noise while I picked up some of the new toys, cleaned up, etc.. Finally settled down on the couch to watch the end of 3 and the beginning of 4. First, it reminded me just how poor so much of the acting and writing/directing of the first 3 episodes were, 2nd, it brought up several huge, glaring conflicts b/w episodes 3 & 4. I'm sure this has been hit upon, but when I first introduced the movies to our oldest, probably 3-4 years ago I did them in an order I found recommended on the internet 4-5-1-2-3-6. I loved the movies/toys as a kid, I've seen rougue one and episode 7 but I wouldn't consider myself a "huge" fan so I've never actually watched episodes 3 & 4 back to back in any sort of order at any point in my life, much less with a 30 second gap b/w the start of the ending credits and the opening roll of the next one.

Anyhoo, a long winded way of saying, how the heck does C3PO not remember Obi One? How the heck does Obi One stat that he doesn't recall owning droids like that before (R2D2 claims that Obi One was his prior owner if you don't recall, when Obi One says he doesn't recall owning droids like that before). Chewbaca also played a huge roll in episode 3, but seemingly can't recall or doesn't offer any insight into what he knows of the force, Old Ben, yoda, the droids, etc... Really bothered me how much they emphasized their rolls, then seemingly gave them all anesthesia in episode 4. Looking back, I'm wishing they would have involved them less in episode 3 and prior so as not t take away from episode 4.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Turn Off Ads?