Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Stephenson - the 1st rounder everyone forgot

Tyler Stephenson - the 1st rounder everyone forgot

Injuries chewed up and spit out Stephenson's 2016 season, but he's now flashing some of the ability that made him a #11 overall pick in 2015. TySteve is off to a .263/.391/.632 start in Dayton. It's only a week, but the mature plate approach he had on draft day seems to be back and now his raw power seems to be emerging. Could be an exciting season for the Reds' gigantic, 20-year-old catcher.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Benihana (04-13-2017),cincyinco (04-13-2017),dfs (04-13-2017),Edd Roush (04-13-2017),membengal (04-13-2017),nmculbreth (04-13-2017),OGB (04-13-2017),Old school 1983 (04-14-2017),OnBaseMachine (04-13-2017),podgejeff_ (04-13-2017),REDREAD (04-14-2017),RedTeamGo! (04-13-2017),Tom Servo (04-13-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tyler Stephenson - the 1st rounder everyone forgot

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...48583&sid=milb

Here's his HR from yesterday. That's off Kyle Funkhouser by the way, the former Louisville pitcher and 1st rounder-turned-4th rounder.

Overall I'd say Redszone has been pretty good about accepting Stephenson's 2016 as just one of those things and not an indictment of his ability moving forward. Well, except for Chuckie.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 04-13-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (04-13-2017),cincyinco (04-13-2017),Edd Roush (04-13-2017),jwdoc77 (04-14-2017),lollipopcurve (04-13-2017),OGB (04-13-2017),Old school 1983 (04-14-2017)

I am almost afraid to look his way, M2, for fear of jinxing him. Definitely hoping the real TySteve is arriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...48583&sid=milb

Here's his HR from yesterday. That's off Kyle Funkhouser by the way, the former Kentucky pitcher and 1st rounder-turned-4th rounder.
    Hey now, don't be confusing one of those Dirty Birds with a wholesome Wildcat ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jdattilo View Post
    Hey now, don't be confusing one of those Dirty Birds with a wholesome Wildcat ....
    Whoops, I know that's a big faux pas here!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

Jdattilo (04-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdattilo View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. Don't insult Funk like that Servo!

11. Likes:

Jdattilo (04-13-2017)

I had forgotten how big he is.

13. Likes:

OC_Red (04-14-2017)

This is very encouraging. Apparently, his first HR was a prodigious 450+ foot blast.

I'm beginning to feel better about the 2015 draft. Santillan has flashed spurts of dominance at times. Tanner Rainey is striking out everybody and their mother since moving to the bullpen. Jimmy Herget has progressed nicely, reaching Double-A and projecting to pitch at the back of a major league bullpen. Blake Trahan is at least on track to reach the major leagues as a quality fielding SS who can take a walk. Ian Kahaloa has a chance to pitch in the major leagues someday if he can get his head on straight.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

EVERYONE, M2?

I am very happy Tyler is having a hot start, but I will feel a lot better when he does this at A+ (hopefully soon). He was at Dayton last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am very happy Tyler is having a hot start, but I will feel a lot better when he does this at A+ (hopefully soon). He was at Dayton last year.
    He's still 20, there's no reason to rush him along.

18. Likes:

cincyinco (04-13-2017),nmculbreth (04-13-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, he was at Dayton last year. About as often as I was, at least playing. He was literally healthy for about three and a half weeks last season in Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, he was at Dayton last year. About as often as I was, at least playing. He was literally healthy for about three and a half weeks last season in Dayton.
    I understand, I'm just saying, if he had not been injured at this age he would be at a+.

On top of that, if there is one position that really takes time to get right in the minors, it is catcher. So much to start to master defensively, on top of offensive growth needed. No rush.

22. Likes:

cincyinco (04-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    EVERYONE, M2?

Term of art. He fell off the radar for most of the national folks. You also ranked him outside your system top 10 (#14). And I don't know of anybody who was prophesying 20+ HR for him, but he certainly seems capable of it the way he's swinging the bat this first week.
    Last edited by M2; 04-13-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?