Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 4/21 Reds/Cubs (Extra Innings)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: 4/21 Reds/Cubs (Extra Innings)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Hoover was a good pitcher too. Look it up. Similar to Lorenzen last year for a couple seasons actually. But again, nobody wanted him pitching the 9th inning either. Even when he wasn't a grease fire.
    Hoover was a good pitcher who always skirted around a high walk rate and got K's despite fairly average stuff.
    Lorenzen has always shown a good K rate while being stingy with walks and has the stuff to match his numbers.

Hoover's problem was always walking people and then losing one over the plate to bury himself. Lorenzen doesn't have anywhere near that problem, he's got very good control. Don't overwork him, as well as looking beyond a small 10 inning sample size, and you'll find a pretty good pitcher there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Myers rarely if ever pitched multi innings. Dibble and Charlton did though.
    We were both wrong. Meyers pitched 2 innings at least 15 times in 1990. Dibble did some too.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&t=p&year=1990

Boy, that wasn't the way I remembered it. Maybe my memory was clouded by the post season.

Meyers got a two inning save in game six of the playoffs- the Braggs' game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Guy had a 2.88 ERA last year. He's still got a 11 K/9 and 2 BB/9 so he's still striking out guys and not walking much of anyone. I don't see what's not shutdown about him.

Let's not ask him to throw 40 more pitches after an already shaky first inning from now on and he'll be fine.
    You make a great point. This multi inning thingy with late inning relievers only works if the first inning is an easy one. You're asking for disaster if it's not. You're asking for a guy to throw 40 pitches, almost all of them "under stress" (runners on base). Let's hope Price learns a lesson here. In hindsight he most certainly should have brought in Peralta to face Rizzo.

In the race for who is the JJ Hoover of 2017, I nominate Michael Lorenzen.

#HotTake

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    We were both wrong. Meyers pitched 2 innings at least 15 times in 1990. Dibble did some too.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&t=p&year=1990

Boy, that wasn't the way I remembered it. Maybe my memory was clouded by the post season.
    I knew Dibble and Charlton were multi inning guys. Surprised by Myers.

It kind of proves my point though. Those guys (Myers and Dibble at the very least) could be counted on to close out games. Dibble was in fact the better of the two IMO. The Reds don't have such options today. Lorenzen isn't that caliber of pitcher. Until they have another pitcher or 2 that's "closer caliber" Iglesias needs to be used as a traditional closer. If he had been, he'd have been available last night, and the result likely would've been different. Even if it wasn't, and Iglesias got blown up the same way Lorenzen did, it would've been much easier to swallow because at least we would've lost with our best.

Iglesias shouldn't be doing it either because it leaves Price without a reliable option to close out the game the next night.

Iglesias can do it, but until there's 1 or 2 more pitchers in the bullpen at or near his level, he shouldn't.
    If you are advocating making Iglesias just a 1 inning reliever than that would be a waste. Maybe Lorenzen cannot handle it as well or too often but it's too early to just give up on it.

Turn Off Ads?