Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten CDs Albums Cassettes 8 Tracks

Re: Top Ten CDs Albums Cassettes 8 Tracks

I bumped the movie list thread several days after its most recent activity, so why not do the same for the albums list? This one is much more difficult to pin down and changes much more frequently. It's completely different than five or even two years ago.

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
    Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
    Defiance, Ohio - Share What Ya Got
    Hop Along - Painted Shut
    The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There
    Japandroids - Celebration Rock
    Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
    Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
    The Rural Alberta Advantage - Hometowns
    The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine

2. Turn Off Ads?

Watercolors - Pat Metheny. Metheny is a jazz/fusion guitarist who writes great melody and surrounds himself with very talented sidemen. I have all his albums. This album stands out because it builds on itself and has a holistic quality. Its not just an assortment of good tunes. Some of his later albums have a larger ensemble but this is a quartet and you can hear all 4 musicians contributing. the less musicians in the band the more important it becomes that each one is top notch.

The Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett (solo piano). the kind of album you listen to alone, late at night when its quiet.

The Celtic Harp - The Chieftans. I have most of the Chieftans albums but this one stands out for me. I listen to a lot of Celtic music. I think because it connects me to the past.

An English Lady Mass - Anonymous Four. a mass for Our Lady (medieval polyphony). I listen to quite a lot of Gregorian chant but this album gets listened to frequently. I have several Anonymous Four albums. The four singers are also music professors and historians. They dig deep into ancient codexes and try to recreate the music as best they can when the original codex is full of holes.

The Origin of Fire: Music and Visions of Hildegard von Bingen - also by Anonymous Four. several Christian and "New Age" artists have recorded St Hildegard's music in recent years. It transcends the genre of religious medieval polyphony. it has an otherworldly sound and sounds nothing like you expect a cloistered nun to have written 800 years ago. St Hildegard was an Abbess, a theologian (she is a doctor of the Church), physician, political advisor and wrote music. its amazing what some people could get done before radio, TV, internet, etc.

I listen to a lot of 1950-1965 Miles Davis and "West Coast Jazz". I like the smoother and more melody based jazz as opposed to harsher bop/bebop. Miles' The Birth of the Cool would probably be the one I play most often. several of the "sidemen" on this album were jazz giants.

as for pop/rock I'm not a big listener (obviously based on my list). I listen to this more in the car. A lot of the music I like is too subtle to listen to driving down the interstate. I like the Police, Sting's solo albums, Peter Gabriel, Genesis before Phil Collins began to dominate the band, ELO, and a few others here and there. But there is one artist that for me stands out above all the rest. Van Morrison. And if I had to pick one album it would be 1979's "Into the Music". 10 great songs than blend into a whole. this was early in his religious searching and you can feel the yearning in several of the songs.

I guess that is a top seven instead of a top ten. sorry Pythagoras.

- Brett

I realize the racial divide has gotten annoyingly wide recently, but don't you guys ever listen to music by people of color? Or the Stones?

I can't speak for anyone else, but if you were to look at my iTunes, you'd see at least 40 artists of color that I had at least 15 songs each for. They range from 2Pac to Diana Ross, Usher to Smokey Robinson, Snoop to Sam Cooke, Lenny Kravitz to Chris Brown and Sade to Kendrick Lamar. I only listed two albums because most albums in their entirety are not worth listening to.

On a side not, Dom started this thread almost a month ago. How long can it possibly take to compile a top ten list

Can't get it down to 10:

Marshal Mathers LP Eminem
    Juke Box Music/Last real texas blues band Doug Sahm
    Raw Power The Stooges
    In The Wee Small Hours Frank
    Relaxin Miles
    Kind Of Blue Miles
    Layla Derick And The Dominoes
    Immortal Otis Redding
    Lady Soul Aretha
    Some Girls Stones
    To Pimp A buterfly Kendrick Lamar
    Sinsemilla Black Uhuru
    Sticky Fingers Stones
    Out of our heads (UK Version) Stones
    Cruising with Ruben & the Jets Mothers
    The Fame Lady Gaga
    Sunflower Beach Boys
    Last edited by Mutaman; 05-28-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I realize the racial divide has gotten annoyingly wide recently, but don't you guys ever listen to music by people of color? Or the Stones?
    Maybe if we all gave lists of 17 albums like you there would be some listed.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Maybe if we all gave lists of 17 albums like you there would be some listed.
    I would hope so. Granted Motown was into singles but still...... To be fair doesn't sound like you folks listen to much country either: No Johnny C? No Merle? The fact that not one person listed "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" as one of the 10 greatest albums is a pretty sad comment on our society.

Almost listed Hendrix Are You Experienced.

iPod has Hendrix, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Living Colour, Aretha, Howlin' Wolf, TI, NWA, Tupac, Jay-Z, Eazy E, Dre, Snoop, Drake, Kayne, C-Murder, The Commodores, Lionel Richie, Ginuine, Ice Cube, Ice-T, Body Count, Lenny Kravitz, Louis Armstrong, Michael Jackson, Prince, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland, Usher, Wyclef, Al Green, the Supremes...I'm forgetting some I'm sure. Just that none of these made my list, doesn't mean I don't like the music, just didn't make the list.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

mine is probably something like

Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
    Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
    The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
    Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
    Burial - Untrue
    A Winged Victory for the Sullen - A Winged Victory for the Sullen
    The Antlers - Hospice
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Realistically OK Computer and Kid A are probably on there as well but I didn't want to have half of it be Radiohead lol

Short answer for me, no, not really. The music I mainly find appealing is dominated by "white people." It has nothing to do with racism, if that's what you are insinuating.

No particular order

The Cure - Disintegration
    Sarah McLachlan - Touch
    Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town or The River
    Simple Minds - Street Fighting Years (sooooo underrated)
    Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
    Peter Gabriel - "So" and "Us"
    Enya - Watermark (I believe songs from this are in the movie LA Story)
    Living Color - Vivid
    10000 Maniacs - Our Time in Eden or MTV Unplugged
    Foo Fighters - ... I can't pick one. All of them.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Vivid is one I thought of when I saw the above question, along with Songs in the Key of Life, EW&F's All 'n All, a few by TV on the Radio, who I've been listening to increasingly much, Anything by Mavis Staples (God is Not Sleeping may be my favorite gospel song ever), Sam Cooke (we're talking greatest hits, so that doesn't really count), Coltrane, and others. In the end, though, my list is what it it, and there was no attempt to represent different styles or ethnographic groups.

btw, good Springsteen choices. Darkness came out when I was sixteen and drew me in, and there have been times when I listened to The River, front to back, repeatedly. I added Point Blank to my current playlist just last week. The reason BTR has become my favorite is that I think it accomplishes something unusual by closing with one nine-and-a-half-minute song that ties the whole album together--Jungleland.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 05-31-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

Joseph (06-04-2017),TRF (05-31-2017)

Living Color changed my perception of music. I was 21 at the time and still listening to Led Zepplin (which, BTW, now makes me want to wretch, though I love hearing it in the Thor Trailer for some reason). I had just started college after a few gap years and got into Radio/TV Production. It introduced me to them, the Cure, Simple Minds after the Breakfast Club and so much more.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Short answer for me, no, not really. The music I mainly find appealing is dominated by "white people." It has nothing to do with racism, if that's what you are insinuating.
    Not at all, more like mediocre taste.

Not at all, more like mediocre taste.
    Any lists/choices you'd like to call out? Albums hold a special place in the hearts and minds of folks. I see a bunch of respectable lists here.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-07-2017),marcshoe (06-04-2017)

Turn Off Ads?