Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Former Red John Lamb suspended 50 games for 2nd positive drug-of-abuse test

Re: Former Red John Lamb suspended 50 games for 2nd positive drug-of-abuse test

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It's not just a legality issue (law).... If you owned and operated a business, where the issue of liability is involved - especially when it comes to your other employees- the issues of safety, as well as guaranteeing the quality of the product you're producing for your customers - I wouldn't want someone installing the brakes, tires, or whatever, on my Honda higher then a kite (LOL).

IMO, business owners, and that includes owners of professional sports franchises who pay their employees millions of dollars, have a right to set guidelines/rules, and demand that their employees are not impaired and able to perform at their highest level (no pun intended)

These athletes know the rules, know what's expected of them. They flaunt that, I really have no sympathy for them.
    Sure, but how is the use of pot - besides the legality of it - any different than using painkillers? Painkillers can lead to dependency on them whereas pot is not physically addictive. Or how about using alcohol to ease the pain? That can also lead to dependency. No one's saying that these players should or are going to show up for games high. Some might but some might show up drunk or stoned on painkillers anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    As someone that has spent a lot of time in American auto factories and the son of a assembly worker at one, you are surrounded by vehicles assembled by high and drunk people.

You work at GM, right? Guessing you have some stories, haha.
    I'm sure he'll be quick to point out that he doesn't work at GM and what the differences are

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm sure he'll be quick to point out that he doesn't work at GM and what the differences are
    Ah, I thought GAC worked at GM, must have him confused with someone else.

Either way, I cannot count how many times I was going through an American auto engine plant (won't say which company) and saw visibly inebriated people. I once was walking and a guy walked by me REEKING of marijuana and whiskey. I'll never forget it. On the way into the plant it was very common to see dozens and dozens of empty beer cans in the garbage cans outside of the security gates.

Not to get political, but my experiences at these plants is why I am skeptical of unions.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Either way, I cannot count how many times I was going through an American auto engine plant (won't say which company) and saw visibly inebriated people. I once was walking and a guy walked by me REEKING of marijuana and whiskey. I'll never forget it. On the way into the plant it was very common to see dozens and dozens of empty beer cans in the garbage cans outside of the security gates.

Not to get political, but my experiences at these plants is why I am skeptical of unions.
    My step-dad worked at GM plants in Dayton for 30 years and I'd lay money that says he was drunk more often than sober during those hours he worked.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-12-2017),RedTeamGo! (05-12-2017)

Ive been dealing with some really painful back problems for a couple of years now. I wish I could do some self medication with a certain recreational substance to help, but my employer randomly tests, so, can't risk it. With that said, people that have not experienced back problems have no clue what it's like. There are days where I feel like I am going to break in half and/or can't walk. I threw it out 10 days ago and am just now starting to feel better. I feel for Lamb, brutal way to end a career.

My wife doesn't take it very seriously and thinks it's like having a minor headache or something. Like it's just a minor inconvenience/annoyance. Nope.
    Been there my friend, I feel for you. Personally, my back troubles have improved greatly since I bought an inversion table. Have you ever tried one?

8. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-12-2017)

Toyota.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Toyota.
    I thought it was Honda? Marysville or Anna plant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I thought it was Honda? Marysville or Anna plant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're right.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

As someone that has spent a lot of time in American auto factories and the son of a assembly worker at one, you are surrounded by vehicles assembled by high and drunk people.

You work at GM, right? Guessing you have some stories, haha.
    No - I work at Honda (23 years).

And yes, I've heard/seen some of the stories (investigative reporting) that has come out over the last few years when it came to Detroit (Big Three), and employees, on their lunch hour, drinking and getting high. Yep, it occurs. Still doesn't make it right, nor should it be condoned as an employer (for reasons I illustrated in my previous post).

And yes, it's a concern at Honda too. We've had several situations, in just the last year or so, where groups of employees were caught out in the parking lot at lunch time getting stoned.

Honda has a policy, when it comes to drugs and alcohol, of giving an employee one chance when they get caught, to voluntarily enter their Associate Assistance Program. After that - you're history.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

And yes, I've heard/seen some of the stories (investigative reporting) that has come out over the last few years when it came to Detroit (Big Three), and employees, on their lunch hour, drinking and getting high. Yep, it occurs. Still doesn't make it right, nor should it be condoned as an employer (for reasons I illustrated in my previous post).

And yes, it's a concern at Honda too. We've had several situations, in just the last year or so, where groups of employees were caught out in the parking lot at lunch time getting stoned.

Honda has a policy, when it comes to drugs and alcohol, of giving an employee one chance when they get caught, to voluntarily enter their Associate Assistance Program. After that - you're history.
    I certainly wasn't condoning it. I would prefer there not be a bunch of vehicles on the streets built by inebriated people.

I work for a custom vehicle builder and we have the same policy. Seems like we always lose about 25% (3-4) of the guys we randomly drug test. They know the rules, but don't care. They're more concerned about their next high.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRocker View Post
    I work for a custom vehicle builder and we have the same policy. Seems like we always lose about 25% (3-4) of the guys we randomly drug test. They know the rules, but don't care. They're more concerned about their next high.
    I'm an old man (LOL) who is a former pothead, so you pretty much nailed it IMO. I think it should be decriminalized to a certain degree. Yeah, we can all talk about, and inject, into the discussion the problem this country has when it comes alcohol and prescription drug abuse, and use that in some sort of "defense" (or justification) when it comes to pot. And there is some truth there. We are a nation of "addicts", whether it's for recreational purposes, alleviate pain, or some sort of escape.

My only concern is from a public safety standpoint. Whether it's behind a vehicle or at work. IMO, and from my own past experiences, when it comes to our own personal "pleasure" or gratification, we'll easily chose to take on those risks, even put others at risk. We'll play the percentage game, take that chance. We're not worried about the consequences until after it happens.

30% of our population consumes 90% of the alcohol in this country. A simply astounding statistic.

I'm going out later this morning and play in a golf foursome (brother and two life-long friends) who are still huge potheads, and have been for 40 years. And that's fine, that's their business, doesn't bother me in the least. I love these guys. But they'll be out there toking it up for 18 holes while I'm drinking my G2 (LOL). And they'll be out there duffin' shots and wondering why. I'll look at them laughing and say "Maybe your THC level is too low?" (LOL).

From an athletic performance standpoint - and again from past personal experiences in my much younger days, because I played baseball all my life (high school, slow/fast pitch softball) - there is no one who is going to convince me that it heightens or improves one's performance. Yeah, I know there are some who will make that claim, and there are always exceptions to the rule. In pre-games we all use to drink a few beers in the parking lot and smoke. It impairs the brain, those mental functions involving cognition, perception, reaction time, and motor skills. One may think it makes them better - buts that's because you're stoned (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

Jordan (05-15-2017)

I'm an old man (LOL) who is a former pothead, so you pretty much nailed it IMO. I think it should be decriminalized to a certain degree. Yeah, we can all talk about, and inject, into the discussion the problem this country has when it comes alcohol and prescription drug abuse, and use that in some sort of "defense" (or justification) when it comes to pot. And there is some truth there. We are a nation of "addicts", whether it's for recreational purposes, alleviate pain, or some sort of escape.

My only concern is from a public safety standpoint. Whether it's behind a vehicle or at work. IMO, and from my own past experiences, when it comes to our own personal "pleasure" or gratification, we'll easily chose to take on those risks, even put others at risk. We'll play the percentage game, take that chance. We're not worried about the consequences until after it happens.

30% of our population consumes 90% of the alcohol in this country. A simply astounding statistic.

I'm going out later this morning and play in a golf foursome (brother and two life-long friends) who are still huge potheads, and have been for 40 years. And that's fine, that's their business, doesn't bother me in the least. I love these guys. But they'll be out there toking it up for 18 holes while I'm drinking my G2 (LOL). And they'll be out there duffin' shots and wondering why. I'll look at them laughing and say "Maybe your THC level is too low?" (LOL).

From an athletic performance standpoint - and again from past personal experiences in my much younger days, because I played baseball all my life (high school, slow/fast pitch softball) - there is no one who is going to convince me that it heightens or improves one's performance. Yeah, I know there are some who will make that claim, and there are always exceptions to the rule. In pre-games we all use to drink a few beers in the parking lot and smoke. It impairs the brain, those mental functions involving cognition, perception, reaction time, and motor skills. One may think it makes them better - buts that's because you're stoned (LOL)
    With regard to performance - I don't think it enhances performance, I've never actually heard that claim, I think it's just a safer alternative to pain pills for pain management.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I bowl a lot as a hobby. Invariably, there are a few bowlers who sit in their cars before league getting stoned (something I never do while bowling). Three are others who drink during the evening to the point of inebriation (also something I never do while bowling).

It's interesting to observe these people, whether high or drunk, just perform terribly compared to how they bowl when sober. You always want to be going up against teams with these players because you know by the third game you'll be dominating them. Yes, they'll occasionally rip off a good game, but that isn't a bad thing because it only reinforces in their own minds that they can perform much better than they do.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I understand that this discussion has taken a turn from Lamb's suspension to discussion of drug use, but I would like to remind everyone that discussing drug use is against forum rules, specifically rule 1. If you would like to continue this discussion about the legalization of drugs and related topics, I would encourage all participants to move to a different part of the site, such as the politics/religion forum.

Please try and keep this thread for discussing our favorite Civil War Re-enactor and former left handed pitcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

21. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (05-14-2017),WrongVerb (05-14-2017)

Turn Off Ads?