Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft Discussion III

Re: 2017 Draft Discussion III

It's a little confusing because he's not a reliever, which is what I thought was the Reds type.

/s .... kinda

2. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-25-2017),RustyJ (05-25-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It's a little confusing because he's not a reliever, which is what I thought was the Reds type.

/s .... kinda
    Rainey and Lorenzen were both two way players in college (and yes they were relievers) so that might be what itsnin reference to.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Really wanted Wright. Now I'm nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Mayo answered a question from our forum's own Vander:

Q: Do you think the Reds would pass on McKay for either Greene or Wright if given the choice?

A: Jim Callis is doing this week's mock Draft, so he will likely have more on this, but in a word, yes. There's no question they like Brendan McKay, and they like him as a left-handed pitcher. But there's a chance the Twins will take McKay, giving the Reds the chance to take either Kyle Wright from Vanderbilt or the aforementioned Greene. Minnesota could easily take Wright, leaving Cincinnati with McKay and Greene to think about.

But that's not exactly what you're asking, is it? What if the Twins take one of the other candidates on their list, say, Royce Lewis or Mackenzie Gore? That would create the scenario you bring up, where they have Greene, McKay and Wright to choose from. It is far from a slam dunk that McKay would be their pick at No. 2 overall in that, or any, scenario. Both Greene and Wright would get serious consideration, and if McKay doesn't go 1 or 2, he could get to No. 5 with the Braves.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/232360...icid=151437456
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-25-2017),reds44 (05-25-2017)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Fun to go back to this thread that started almost exactly 1 year ago today. Senzel was still towards the bottom of a lot of folks on this board's top 5 list. Seems like Senzel was just emerging as the guy Reds were targeting. Him or Puk.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ighlight=draft

9. Likes:

cincy09 (05-25-2017),RedTeamGo! (05-25-2017)

if McKay doesn't go 1 or 2, he could get to No. 5 with the Braves.
    That's because he's got no business going at #1 or #2.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

757690 (05-26-2017),Benihana (05-25-2017),Edd Roush (05-25-2017),RedEye (05-31-2017),reds44 (05-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    The question: Who should the Reds take at #2?

The right answers: Greene, Wright
    The wrong answer: McKay
    The partial credit answers: Beck, Gore, Bukauskus
    Then mark me down for partial credit. I'm on the Beck train. Kid's got ridiculous bat speed and hitting balance. My hope for the next three weeks is he gets a Moniak-like helium burst.

My guess is the Reds are going to speak with Wright, McKay, Greene, and maybe 1 or 2 more.

Scratch off whoever the Twins take..

Then its going to be a combination of whoever they like best, and whoever they can get at the best under slot deal - they'll weigh that out and make a pick. If they like 2 guys the same, but 1 is going to cost a million less, I bet they lean that way and spend a bit more in the supplemental rounds.

That might very well end up being McKay.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Does this draft project to have someone like Trammel available when our sandwich pick comes up? Who would be the most comparable players to Trammel in this draft?

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    Does this draft project to have someone like Trammel available when our sandwich pick comes up? Who would be the most comparable players to Trammel in this draft?
    Bubba Thompson? Southern CF (Bama) who also plays football. Much better arm than Trammell. Pretty comparable everywhere else.

Fun to go back to this thread that started almost exactly 1 year ago today. Senzel was still towards the bottom of a lot of folks on this board's top 5 list. Seems like Senzel was just emerging as the guy Reds were targeting. Him or Puk.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ighlight=draft
    This is great...I'm glad the Reds listened to me and drafted a hitter.

Bubba Thompson, two-sport prep OF out of Alabama, might be the closest parallel.

I want no part of Bubba Thompson in the first two rounds. His plate discipline worries me - he had 18 walks and 15 K's in high school this season. An elite high school hitter should be far better than 1:1 in the BB/K department. I'm holding out hope for Jordon Adell or DrewWaters at 32.

I went back and looked at all the RHP high school prospects drafted in the top 5 since 2000 and it is an underwhelming list.

2001 Dewon Brazelton #3
    2001 Gavin Floyd #4
    2002 Chris Gruler #3
    2002 Clint Everts #5
    2004 Mark Rogers #5
    2009 Matt Hobgood #5
    2010 Jameson Tailion #2
    2011 Dylan Bundy #4
    2013 Kohl Stewart #4
    2014 Tyler Kolek #2
    2016 Ian Anderson #3
    2016 Riley Pint #4

Now the list is a little skewed because in 2003 Uber Genius Billy Beane said high school players were the devil and there was a huge void from 2002 to 2009, but outside of Gavin Floyd nobody has done much of anything. I have read the scouting reports on Greene and they keep pointing out 102, athletic, but pretty muted "maybes" around his secondary stuff. Bundy threw 100 in high school and had much more glowing reviews on his secondary stuff. Kolek and Pint also hit triple digits and I think Tallion did as well but cannot verify it. I guess the point is there is a huge risk in taking Greene and I don't think it is the same slam dunk a lot of other people do. I wish you could trade picks in MLB. Ideal year to trade back.

20. Likes:

M2 (05-25-2017),RedTeamGo! (05-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Now the list is a little skewed because in 2003 Uber Genius Billy Beane said high school players were the devil and there was a huge void from 2002 to 2009, but outside of Gavin Floyd nobody has done much of anything.
    Limiting it the "top 5 picks" does that as well. Kershaw was #7 overall in 2006 but the first high school pitcher taken.

Turn Off Ads?