Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft Discussion III

Re: 2017 Draft Discussion III

Serious question, if McKay wasn't the best college bat, would he be in play for #1 as just a pitcher?

I really don't get it. It has to be because he's a first round talent either way he goes.

Has a pitcher ever gone #1, or in the top 5, with a barely 90 mph heater?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Could McKay be losing his fastball due to both pitching and playing the field in every game this year? Maybe he's just worn down.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Also, if Royce Lewis is in play at 1-1, why wouldn't he be a good pick at 1-2?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

M2 (05-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Also, if Royce Lewis is in play at 1-1, why wouldn't he be a good pick at 1-2?
    Apparently, the Twins like him more than the Reds do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Apparently, the Twins like him more than the Reds do.
    I like Lewis a lot. The Reds should mirror my thinking, dang it!

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    sources: twins expected to pass at No. 1 on SI cover guy/prep phenom hunter greene (but he won't last too long!) bit.ly/2r0QM9O
    Rounding third and heading for home...

9. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-26-2017),RedTeamGo! (05-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I can't stop thinking about this disaster of a pitcher whenever I read McKay's name:

His arsenal and makeup are closer to...

Attachment 12444

I'm hoping for Greene, but I won't be the least bit disappointed if it has to be McCay. Kid is really, really good.

I thought I read that Bubba Thompson may already be 19 years old. Another factor against him.

Helluva pitching matchup on SEC Network here in a few minutes. Lange for LSU, 6 foot 11 Hjelle for Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Here's a list of some notable high school pitchers drafted in the 1st round.
    The point isn't that they're never good, it's that no one's particularly adept at identifying which ones will hit and miss. As you get past the top 5 picks, or even top 10, the risk-reward on these guys becomes more appealing. The danger up at the very top is you come away with a Gruler or a Hobgood and it screws you years into the future.
    Last edited by M2; 05-26-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Serious question, if McKay wasn't the best college bat, would he be in play for #1 as just a pitcher?

I really don't get it. It has to be because he's a first round talent either way he goes.

Has a pitcher ever gone #1, or in the top 5, with a barely 90 mph heater?
    I'm with you. I get McKay at #1 if you were picking a player for college ball. Don't get it at all for pro ball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

From what people have said, probably best if the Twins take Mckay at 1/1. Force the Reds in to taking one of Wright/Green most likely. Is Mckay really not top 3 potential?

All the talk for the Reds involves the trio of McKay, Greene, and Wright but I'm wondering if either of the big time high school sticks (Beck, Lewis) have a shot at being the Reds choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    All the talk for the Reds involves the trio of McKay, Greene, and Wright but I'm wondering if either of the big time high school sticks (Beck, Lewis) have a shot at being the Reds choice.
    I don't think so, for just that reason. It'll be one of the big 3.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Watched McKay vs Notre Dame last night. I see the appeal. His actions -- both as a pitcher and a hitter -- are super efficient and effortless. Big and strong. Flatliner on the mound -- no emotion. I am a proponent of two-way players, so I like the kid. A Baseball America podcast called him the most dominant two-way player in 35 years. The idea here is that he will make gains -- whether it's pitching or hitting -- once he can focus on just one of them. Fascinating that the scouting community remains split on which way to take him. If they don't know, I don't know.

The repertoire is plausible. Enough fastball that he commands to both sides. Changeup and curve look decent. The delivery is excellent, IMO. As a hitter, easy short stroke delivering plenty of power.

On the one hand, a super safe pick. On the other, still an unknown. I do think there is intriguing ceiling remaining.

Still, I prefer Greene. Between Wright and McKay, jury is out for me. Will try to get more looks at both. But unlike most here, I am not dismissing McKay as a viable option at 2.

20. Likes:

AlaskaReds (05-26-2017),BillDoran (05-28-2017),cincyinco (05-26-2017),NC Reds (05-26-2017),reds44 (05-26-2017),SoTxRedsFan (05-26-2017),Tom Servo (05-26-2017)

Turn Off Ads?