Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Jose Garcia

Re: Reds Sign Jose Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If they have to keep him in the DSL to limit the years he's available before making a 40-man roster decision, he's not much of a prospect.
    Maybe, if he was your only prospect. But if everything goes well, we are entering a period where we have a LOT of guys who are valuable prospects. If you squander a year in a season where he will only play 2 months, then the very first year he is on the 40 but not the 25, someone has to be knocked off. Repeat that for 4 or 5 guys and you are releasing a lot of talent.

To me, nothing would be better than to have him called up in 3 years and add him to the 40 as you add him to the 25.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Luis Robert debuted today in the DSL. If Garcia follows the same timeline after signing, he'll be playing in games by late June. FWW, Robert went 1-for-2 with a HR and walk in his first game.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Maybe, if he was your only prospect. But if everything goes well, we are entering a period where we have a LOT of guys who are valuable prospects. If you squander a year in a season where he will only play 2 months, then the very first year he is on the 40 but not the 25, someone has to be knocked off. Repeat that for 4 or 5 guys and you are releasing a lot of talent.

To me, nothing would be better than to have him called up in 3 years and add him to the 40 as you add him to the 25.
    The Reds don't have many SS options though. In fact, they only have one that might be acceptable-- and he looks, at this point, like a second-division starter at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The Reds don't have many SS options though. In fact, they only have one that might be acceptable-- and he looks, at this point, like a second-division starter at best.
    Not a factor. You delay putting guys on the 40 as long as you can. Roster Management 101. I would selfishly like to see Garcia in Arizona just to see how he does against better competition. But if it saves a year of 40 time to play in DSL for 2017, then I see the logic.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I get it, but at the same time, it's not like Arizona is like dropping off a Spanish speaking guy in Alaska. It's not the DR, for sure, but there's going to be other Spanish speaking guys on the team and places in the community that are certainly there that cater to Spanish speaking people.
    Just as many as there are places in Lima, Peru that cater to English speakers. And I can tell you, it's always talked about as being so much easier than it actually is. If you don't know the language of a country, no matter how many people are around who can help, it's still not for the best to just drop the kid in there without any preparation first.

And it's not only language. There's a lot of culture shock that goes into this move and it can be jarring. It was for me, and I moved to Peru when I was an adult. I can't imagine how hard it would have been if I was still a teenager.

7. Likes:

cincyinco (06-12-2017),North (08-23-2019),OGB (08-19-2019),WrongVerb (06-12-2017)

Any idea why we haven't seen Garcia get playing time yet? I know he's on the DSL roster, but with the signing happening about a month ago, I'm surprised he hasn't played yet.
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

Little less than 3 weeks left in the DSL Reds season. We gonna get young Jose any playing time in 2017 or nah. It's honestly fine if there's a reason why not, just tell us something damnit.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Little less than 3 weeks left in the DSL Reds season. We gonna get young Jose any playing time in 2017 or nah. It's honestly fine if there's a reason why not, just tell us something damnit.
    I did tell you something, Tom. They are waiting on some procedural things to go through before he can play. Basically, paperwork. Not every guy out of Cuba gets their stuff pushed through with a quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I did tell you something, Tom. They are waiting on some procedural things to go through before he can play. Basically, paperwork. Not every guy out of Cuba gets their stuff pushed through with a quickness.
    Yeah but that was a month ago, and a month had already passed by then too. It would just be nice if the beat writers could ever provide an update on this stuff instead of reporting on the big signing and then radio silence. That probably wouldn't fly in bigger markets.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-08-2017)

The beat writers for the Reds? I'd venture a guess that less than 1% of their audience has any clue who Jose Garcia is, ergo its not exactly a high priority for them.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

14. Likes:

mth123 (08-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    The beat writers for the Reds? I'd venture a guess that less than 1% of their audience has any clue who Jose Garcia is, ergo its not exactly a high priority for them.
    This is so true. I think as 'Zoners we sometimes forget the average Reds fan only follows the big league team - other than #1s like Senzel or Greene they have no clue who is on the farm or how they are doing. Just read the comments on Reds FB posts. Writers write for the widest audience unless they are penning something for a narrower crowd, like a Reds blog, where more of the followers are in depth fans. And DSL or AZL teams or players? Lots of casual fans aren't even aware those teams exist. Until a player gets national notice with something like Siri's streak, or Mahle's perfecto, or a #1 pick, fans never hear of them. They'd have to search the info out and most just want to enjoy a game now and then. Reds win, Reds lose. Everything else is white noise they don't even hear....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

16. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-10-2017),camisadelgolf (08-09-2017)

I wish I knew exactly what Garcia's low point was, but on June 1st he was hitting .193.
    Fast forward 2 months and he's at .234.
    He seems to have had many multi hit games lately.
    Hopefully his season has started to turn a corner recently.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

18. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I wish I knew exactly what Garcia's low point was, but on June 1st he was hitting .193.
    Nnnoooooooo, can't be so. Didn't you see the other thread??? He's a bust. First 4 months of exposure to professional baseball is all we need to make judgement on a 20 year old kid around here.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    April/May/June. 9 BB's in 245 ab's
    July. 9 BB's in 107 ab's while batting .290

Improvement.

21. Likes:

BillDoran (07-31-2018),Edd Roush (07-31-2018),REDREAD (08-06-2018)

Still some two weeks to go in the season, but as of right now Jose Garcia has snuck into the top 10 in OPS in the Florida State League, and he's the youngest hitter on that list. He leads the FSL in doubles and he is 6th in SLG percentage.

There is one facet of his game has not improved by the numbers though, and that is errors. He committed 24 last year at shortstop for Dayton and is at that same number now in Daytona. But that's not totally uncommon for young infielders in the minors, though obviously an area for improvement.

23. Likes:

Alabama (08-19-2019),BillDoran (08-19-2019),cumberlandreds (08-23-2019),Griffey012 (08-19-2019),M2 (08-19-2019),OGB (08-19-2019),Rolando (08-23-2019),SoTxRedsFan (08-19-2019)

Turn Off Ads?