Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Jose Garcia

Re: Reds Sign Jose Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    [Hot Take]Jose Garcia is a better prospect than Jeter Downs. Or at least his equal. [/Hot Take]
    That is a pretty hot take, seeing as how Fangraohs has Downs in the top 100 and just 2 spots behind Lodolo, and rising. No mention of Garcia.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Garcia is outside of the Top 114 for Fangraphs but he’s on the extended list with a 45+ FV right now, comparable to many first round picks.

That Wilmer Flores line once again shows someone’s devoted commitment to trolling since we know if Garcia had been in a trade and was putting up this season with the Dodgers we’d be hearing how he’s a future superstar and the Reds are idiots.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-25-2019),HammerTime (08-26-2019),RiverRat13 (08-26-2019),SoTxRedsFan (08-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Garcia is outside of the Top 114 for Fangraphs but he’s on the extended list with a 45+ FV right now, comparable to many first round picks.

That Wilmer Flores line once again shows someone’s devoted commitment to trolling since we know if Garcia had been in a trade and was putting up this season with the Dodgers we’d be hearing how he’s a future superstar and the Reds are idiots.
    Yeah you just can’t get around your Reds bias to criticize anything in this organization. Flores was a highly ranked prospect for years. At Garcia’s age he was putting up mid 800 OPS and hit the majors at 21.
    That said, I would call the Reds idiots for trading him. They shouldn’t have traded any prospects this year. Much less 3 better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Yeah you just can’t get around your Reds bias to criticize anything in this organization. Flores was a highly ranked prospect for years. At Garcia’s age he was putting up mid 800 OPS and hit the majors at 21.
    That said, I would call the Reds idiots for trading him. They shouldn’t have traded any prospects this year. Much less 3 better than him.
    The Reds suck. We all know that. Stop pretending you're the voice of reason. It's insufferable. You're a miserable fan who can't help put drop your miserable 2 cents into every damned thread.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 08-25-2019 at 11:23 PM.

7. Likes:

herbdizzle (08-26-2019),Hillsdale87 (08-25-2019),OGB (08-26-2019),SoTxRedsFan (08-26-2019)

Most people on the board realize that it looks like the Dodgers are winning the trade, at least at this point. Downs and Gray have blossomed this year. But only one person on the board takes joy in reminding everybody on a daily basis. How is that fun for you?

I still think the trade made sense at the time and have no issues with the thought process. As good as Downs is playing, he's likely a 2B only, and he's probably behind Van Meter, Senzel, and India at 2B. The odds of him every playing 2B for the Reds were low. The Gray trade hurts more, but he's significantly outperforming his projection. Good for him, and maybe bad scouting by the Reds. But the Dodgers also have great player development. Who knows if these guys would look the same if they had stayed in the Reds system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes:

HammerTime (08-26-2019),RiverRat13 (08-26-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Can I point out that 1.2 WAR over 7 major league seasons is a career just about anyone in A+ would happily take?

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what Garcia does in AA before anointing him the next SS.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

757690 (08-26-2019),TRF (08-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Can I point out that 1.2 WAR over 7 major league seasons is a career just about anyone in A+ would happily take?

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what Garcia does in AA before anointing him the next SS.
    Yes, most guys would take a 7 year career. But Garcia is a high level prospect who signed for $5MM and then has backed up that bonus with performance. Maybe the most likely outcome is a replacement level player, but saying that's his ceiling is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Doug recently called him a "strong defensive shortstop," (link) though he's committed 25 errors this year and 28 last year. He hasn't played an inning off of shortstop this year. So, I suppose that might say something about where the organization sees him.
    It sounds to me that the Reds don't agree with Doug. Unless they're clearing SS for some stud, I can't imagine why they'd remove him from the position if they thought he was strong defensively there

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It sounds to me that the Reds don't agree with Doug. Unless they're clearing SS for some stud, I can't imagine why they'd remove him from the position if they thought he was strong defensively there
    I don't think you read that right.

Anyway the Reds said last month they fully believe he's a shortstop.

"He's bigger than 175 (pounds)," vice president of player development Shawn Pender said. "He's going to end up to be in the 6-3, 200-pound range."

Pender recently watched Garcia play shortstop in the Florida State League.

"He is going to (be able to play there)," Pender said. "He's able to move, he's got the arm, the instincts. That was the question early on. He's still very young in the face, and there's more physical projection for him. He's not shown any reason to think he can't play there."
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...s-up-his-game/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

BillDoran (08-26-2019),Edd Roush (08-26-2019)

Wilmer Flores type ceiling. Less power but a little more speed
    I have no idea if Garcia will ever taste the majors. Maybe that comp works at the plate. Yet Jiggy is a legit SS while Flores is horrific with the glove. If you took Flores' bat and combined it with quality SS defense, you'd have a pretty good player.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think you read that right.

Anyway the Reds said last month they fully believe he's a shortstop.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...s-up-his-game/
    Cool. Let's hope he can get a handle on those errors and play SS in Cincinnati for a long time

3 for 4 again!

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

He'll be on a few top 100 lists after this summer.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (08-26-2019)

36 doubles (which leads the FSL by a whopping six) augers very well for future power. 12th in the league in OPS (min. 200 PAs). Same rank in wRC+.

Among SS in all of A+, he ranks in a virtual dead heat with four other guys in wRC+, within two percentage points of 2nd (ironically, Jeter Downs) behind all-world top prospect Wander Franco. At least two of those SS don't project to stay at the position too.

He's outperformed at least half MLB's top 10 SS list, including Royce Lewis in the same league.

Gavin Lux and Franco are in a clear upper echelon at the position. Beyond them, Garcia is in the scrum.

He's 2nd in ISO by two percentage points in the FSL. That's a really good sign, IMO. Even if he's a low BA guy, he'll still be valuable with the glove, his wheels, and his pop.

22. Likes:

Alabama (08-26-2019),alwaysawarrior (08-26-2019),Benihana (08-26-2019),DocRed (08-26-2019),Edd Roush (08-26-2019),Fil3232 (08-26-2019),HammerTime (08-26-2019),Hillsdale87 (08-26-2019),M2 (08-26-2019),Mitri (08-26-2019),RiverRat13 (08-26-2019),SoTxRedsFan (08-26-2019),Tom Servo (08-26-2019)

IMO he’s become the third best prospect in the system behind Lodolo and Greene.

India and Stephenson probably round out the top five, but right now Garcia seems to be the best position player prospect of the bunch.
    Go BLUE!!!

24. Likes:

Alabama (08-26-2019)

Turn Off Ads?