Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Draft Day Thread - Day 1

Re: Official 2017 Draft Day Thread - Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Hey, they don't need to win again in my lifetime! People will still be playing baseball long after I'm dead.
    As much as I'd like to see it, I would be very surprised if they didn't draft at least one college player today. They e never gone three straight high schoolers to start.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

marcshoe (06-12-2017),RedlegJake (06-12-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Hey, they don't need to win again in my lifetime! People will still be playing baseball long after I'm dead.
    GMTA. I thought the same thing looking at the farm system and thinking about how much richer it will be with this draft. WOW! They are gonna be good in 2020s. [quiet voice] And you'll be dead and gone fool....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

All signs pointing to Greene. I'm still not sure he'd be my actual pick if I was drafting - he very well might be, but if Wright were there I'd consider him heavily - but its still very exciting. Looking forward to today!
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Having just signed a 19 year old Int'l prospect, should they pick Hunter Greene, I'd expect a swing toward college players thereafter.

I can't believe the Reds are approaching this draft entirely for the longer term.

Frankly I'm surprised (and pleased) they are after Greene, assuming that rumor is correct. They likely will want to take a pragmatic approach about getting the MLB Reds into playoff contention sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-12-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Having just signed a 19 year old Int'l prospect, should they pick Hunter Greene, I'd expect a swing toward college players thereafter.

I can't believe the Reds are approaching this draft entirely for the longer term.
    Why?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Why?
    Because Reds have a pragmatic ownership.

I believe they accepted rebuilding reluctantly. They feel that they need to win relatively soon to keep fans interested.

They see a huge pitching hole on the big league team. I doubt they plan to address that entirely from 17 and 18 year olds who may be ready in 2022.

So they accept Hunter Greene as a wunderkind and they aren't foreclosing all HS picks. But I think the general direction is to acquire players who can be ready to help within a few seasons.

I believe they accepted rebuilding reluctantly. They feel that they need to win relatively soon to keep fans interested.

They see a huge pitching hole on the big league team. I doubt they plan to address that entirely from 17 and 18 year olds who may be ready in 2022.

So they accept Hunter Greene as a wunderkind and they aren't foreclosing all HS picks. But I think the general direction is to acquire players who can be ready to help within a few seasons.
    I think the general direction is so accumulate vast amounts of talent.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Just over 6 hours to go and still no confirmation the Twinkes are taking McKay (or more importantly, not taking Greene). Anyone else keep hitting refresh waiting for the official word?
    Go BLUE!!!

Jeff Passan‏Verified account
    @JeffPassan
    https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...01769530191872
    There's a strong sense the Twins are down to two choices with the No. 1 pick tonight: Louisville LHP/1B Brendan McKay and HS SS Royce Lewis.

12. Likes:

BillDoran (06-12-2017),MetfanBren (06-12-2017)

Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 18h18 hours ago
    More
    RHP Hunter Greene to be 1 of 4 top prospects at @MLBNetwork for draft tom nite. also prep stars Jordan Adell, Bubba Thompson, Trevor Rogers

I have to say, the fact the Twins are passing on Greene is making me question him a little bit.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think the general direction is so accumulate vast amounts of talent.
    No business is run with such a broad, amorphous "direction" without a tad more specificity. In the Reds' case, I think the goal will include trying to get closer-to-the-majors prospects relatively high in the draft.

Whatever the purists may think of it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-12-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Amir Garrett, Robert Stephenson, Sal Romano, Cody Reed, Tyler Mahle, Luis Castillo, Vladimir Gutierrez.

While the starting pitching isn't looking great at the big league level, it's not like the team doesn't have arms that stack up quite well with the arms they could add in the draft at #2, and they are all further ahead in terms of proximity, than anyone they would take tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have to say, the fact the Twins are passing on Greene is making me question him a little bit.
    Money/ signability is part of the equation:
    http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/12...ft-indecision/
    If you’re wondering why the process was taking so long, consider economics.

According to Baseball America, a Twins official said signability “will play a significant role.” With Twins general manager Thad Levine already on record as saying there is no “generational talent” in this year’s draft pool — no matter what Sports Illustrated would have you believe about Greene — it stands to reason the Twins will look for value.

It’s not just about the top pick, which comes with a slot value of $7.77 million, but the $14.16 million they have to spend over the first 10 rounds. In essence, with a competitive balance pick at No. 35 overall and a second-rounder at No. 37, the Twins have a chance to walk away with three first-round talents if the right players fall due to cost concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Sure, agree.

But if the Twins go college player, it could (in part) relate to their W-L success this season. They may want somebody who can help sooner instead of later.

But agree that if they viewed Hunter Greene as the clearcut best talent, they would probably take him. I have always thought they would take him, whatever the rumors.

Turn Off Ads?