Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Pick Hunter Greene with the 2nd pick

Re: Reds Pick Hunter Greene with the 2nd pick

To be a .500 team with a young core and a top-5 minor league system isn't the worst spot to be in imho. I'm excited about the Reds, and this year's draft has only heightened that. A lot can change, but things are definitely looking up

2. Likes:

757690 (06-13-2017),Benihana (06-13-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-13-2017),REDREAD (06-13-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    He has knee surgery and misses 9-12 months. Just like everyone else who gets a knee taken out by a hard slide. That's not a career ender, that is an unfortunate baseball injury.

Greene is at no higher risk of that happening than any other middle infield prospect. A potential knee injury is there for everyone.

As I said, him having positional skills lessens the risk, I never said it made it low risk, but at least he has other options to fall back on if pitching doesn't work.
    As a pitching prospect he is at a much higher risk of getting injured playing SS then the average pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I hate drafting high school pitchers with high picks.

Hate might not be a strong enough word.
    I don't like it from the standpoint the Reds need help sooner rather than later. If Greene ever makes it it won't be until 2021 or 22. Drafting the best college player available,in this case it was the player of year for all of college baseball,would have been the best move the Reds could have made. Much better chance of McKay making the majors within two years and actually helping. I hope Greene turns into a great player. Hopefully a generational type player. The Reds desperately need that. But its a huge risk taking a 17 year old kid with the 2nd pick of the draft. A risk I don't think the Reds could afford to make. But they did and the train continues.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Assuming he stays in Arizona the rest of this year, I wonder if he starts at Billings next year, or if he skips it to go straight to Dayton?

Same question for Jeter Downs- I assume barring a catastrophic debut Downs will start next season in Dayton like Trammell did this year? Does he start this year in Billings?
    Go BLUE!!!

Big fan of the person from what I've seen, and as a result I automatically like the pick. It is a risky taking a HS pitcher so early, but that risk is mitigated because he has the tools to be a top notch position player.

Using him as a DH while ramping him up to pitch is a solid idea. I'd let him continue to DH occasionally even after he was back to pitching. Still a risk he could hurt himself running the bases or swinging the bat, but you can't put a kid like that in bubble wrap. Let him field ground balls in practice but keep him off the infield in games.

8. Likes:

Benihana (06-13-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Assuming he stays in Arizona the rest of this year, I wonder if he starts at Billings next year, or if he skips it to go straight to Dayton?

Same question for Jeter Downs- I assume barring a catastrophic debut Downs will start next season in Dayton like Trammell did this year? Does he start this year in Billings?
    I'm guessing they'll both be in Dayton all next year, along with Garcia.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    As a pitching prospect he is at a much higher risk of getting injured playing SS then the average pitching prospect.
    Sure because a pitching prospect not playing the field has basically a 0% chance of getting hurt in the field. It's not like you are putting your star QB in at running back. SS do get hurt, but it's not some position that routinely causes big injuries. I love the idea of letting him DH while working on pitching this year. Gives them a good chance to see what he can do with the bat and let's him continue to develop as a hitter while not worrying about playing the field.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 06-13-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I don't like it from the standpoint the Reds need help sooner rather than later. If Greene ever makes it it won't be until 2021 or 22. Drafting the best college player available,in this case it was the player of year for all of college baseball,would have been the best move the Reds could have made. Much better chance of McKay making the majors within two years and actually helping. I hope Greene turns into a great player. Hopefully a generational type player. The Reds desperately need that. But its a huge risk taking a 17 year old kid with the 2nd pick of the draft. A risk I don't think the Reds could afford to make. But they did and the train continues.
    Hunter Greene is an asset - right now a huge asset. The Reds don't necessarily have to wait until 2021 or 2022 to cash in, they only have to wait 16 months. If Hunter Greene is the top prospect in baseball come October 2018, they could use him to get the best pitcher on the market.

13. Likes:

Raisor (06-13-2017)

But what if Greene pitches exclusively and on a play while covering first base, he gets tangled with the runner and hurts his knee? How is that any different? It's all risk, and we can't fear it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Hunter Greene is an asset - right now a huge asset. The Reds don't necessarily have to wait until 2021 or 2022 to cash in, they only have to wait 16 months. If Hunter Greene is the top prospect in baseball come October 2018, they could use him to get the best pitcher on the market.
    Given the marketing machine that is already behind him, it's hard to envision the Reds will even consider trading Greene, at least for the next 4-5 years (unless his career gets derailed, in which case he wouldn't have said trade value). Hunter Greene is as sure of a thing to at least pencil in as a Reds asset for the next 5 years as there is. Senzel is much more likely to be traded than Greene and I highly, highly doubt Senzel is going anywhere.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Given the marketing machine that is already behind him, it's hard to envision the Reds will even consider trading Greene, at least for the next 4-5 years (unless his career gets derailed, in which case he wouldn't have said trade value). Hunter Greene is as sure of a thing to at least pencil in as a Reds asset for the next 5 years as there is. Senzel is much more likely to be traded than Greene and I highly, highly doubt Senzel is going anywhere.
    It would be a mistake if they didn't even consider it. Prospects rarely live up to hype and if he does, then markets like Cincinnati rarely can hold onto that type of talent for the long haul. I'm not saying they should trade him, but if all the Reds are lacking in 2019 is a front-line starter, Greene is more likely to fetch that than McKay. Assuming that Greene cannot contribute until 2021 or 2022 is a mistake. He could contribute in a big way before then if the Reds so decided.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    It would be a mistake if they didn't even consider it. Prospects rarely live up to hype and if he does, then markets like Cincinnati rarely can hold onto that type of talent for the long haul. I'm not saying they should trade him, but if all the Reds are lacking in 2019 is a front-line starter, Greene is more likely to fetch that than McKay. Assuming that Greene cannot contribute until 2021 or 2022 is a mistake. He could contribute in a big way before then if the Reds so decided.
    Oh I think he'll be traded, sometime in 2027 or 2028, and to the Dodgers after being allowed to negotiate a large contract extension with them. That said, he'll fetch a huge haul as long as he doesn't wind up going to his garage to squeeze off a few rounds.

https://twitter.com/HunterGreene17/with_replies
    Hunter Greene‏Verified account @HunterGreene17 10h10 hours ago
    @Reds & 2 all the fans, thx u 4 believing in me & allowing me 2 do both (at least for now) Red & Greene....sounds like xmas came early��❤️

20. Likes:

cincyinco (06-13-2017),HeatherC1212 (06-13-2017),lollipopcurve (06-13-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-13-2017),reds1869 (06-13-2017),RiverRat13 (06-13-2017)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    But what if Greene pitches exclusively and on a play while covering first base, he gets tangled with the runner and hurts his knee? How is that any different? It's all risk, and we can't fear it.
    Him playing SS is an unnecessary risk. That's the biggest difference in my mind.

22. Likes:

membengal (06-13-2017)

I still can't believe this kid is a Red. I agree with whoever said it earlier - I think he'll either flame out or become a megastar. Let's hope it's the latter. What a wonderful and beautiful family he comes from. He's the perfect kid to become the next face of the franchise.

24. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-13-2017)

Turn Off Ads?