Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to the 2018 draft class

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Looking ahead to the 2018 draft class

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jim Callis has already released a way too early 2018 mock draft and has the Reds picking 4th:

Callis has California prep SS Brice Turang going #1 overall to the Phillies:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/236744...10-projection/

Florida RHP Brady Singer goes #2 to the Giants and Wisconsin prep Jarred Kelenic, a 5-tool OFer, goes third to the Padres.

Rocker is yet another upper 90's prep arm with tremendous stuff, but if the draft played out the way Callis projects, I would prefer OFer Joe Gray Jr. over Rucker. Seth Beer is also available. Gray is arguably the best athlete in the draft and had huge power. He sounds a lot like Jordon Adell with less questions about his hit tool.

Another kid that is apparently making a name for himself is Georgia prep SS Kendall Simmons - https://www.perfectgame.org/players/...aspx?ID=411266
    Looks like he's already updated that draft and moved the Reds to the #5 selection with them taking Joe Gray.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I called Seth Beer the best hitting prospect on here in 2015 before he had a single AB at Clemson, or anyone knew who he was. I still think that. If he's there when the Reds pick, I see them passing on him, unless they think he can play OF full-time. Right now, he's just a bat-first 1B who could probably leapfrog the minors altogether, but is blocked by Votto.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 06-16-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I called Seth Beer the best hitting prospect on here in 2015 before he had a single AB at Clemson, and anyone knew who he was. I still think that. If he's there when the Reds pick, I see them passing on him, unless they think he can play OF full-time. Right now, he's just a bat-first 1B who could probably leapfrog the minors altogether, but is blocked by Votto.
    Based on what Cody Bellinger is doing right now for the Dodgers I see no reason to pass on a talent like Seth Beer, especially since Beer is already playing some OF.

5. Likes:

Knightro28 (06-16-2017)

I really want Beer.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-26-2017)

Jason Churchill of HeroSports thinks Seth Beer can be a plus defender in RF.

http://herosports.com/mlb/seth-beer-...favorites-bkbk

9. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (06-18-2017)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

^FWIW, a college 1B has never gone #1 overall. OFers, only a few. I don't think he should slide out of the Top 5, but he might.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Jarred Kelenic is a very promising prospect. To get a taste, check out what he did for the U18 national team last fall.

http://web.usabaseball.com/documents...s_x096jtki.pdf

.407/.500/.741 slash line and led the team in total bases. Yeah.

12. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-16-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-16-2017)

If Beer is there, he'd be really hard to pass up. At worst, he's a great trade chip because he can play almost immediately. Very high floor, but also a potentially high ceiling.

Right now the Reds would draft 5th if the season ended today. I still think they solve some of their starting woes by the AS break or soon after but the brutal stretch ahead may be rough going. Another top ten selection is probably in the bag
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I would love one more top 5 selection. After that, I hope we don't get out of the 20s for the next decade.
    Go BLUE!!!

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-16-2017),nmculbreth (06-19-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-16-2017),Tom Servo (06-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I really want Beer.
    I do too, but, I'll settle for coffee. For now.

Kumar Rocker electric here at #PGNational. 95-98. 200 inning body. Freak athlete.

Angling to be the top pitcher in the 2018 #MLBDraft class, plus-plus velocity and name. Kumar Rocker!

https://twitter.com/johnmanuelba

Really amazing to think that the Reds currently have the best player from the 2016 and the 2017 drafts. Hopefully they continue with that trend in 2018, even if they don't have the first pick.

Rocker, Gray, Beer or Singer would all work for me.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Hopefully the Reds win some ball games and we're talking about chances and not the 2018 draft come the end of the season, however when it comes to 2018 guys I'm still all about some Seth Beer. Sure his #s dropped a bit this season but I still think that's the player you want if given the opportunity to draft him

2016 - .369/.535/.700 1235 OPS, 18 HR, 62 BB/27 K
    2017 - .298/.478/.606 1084 OPS, 16 HR, 64 BB/35 K
    Saw where he started in RF for Clemson last week. Could he be adequate enough in the OF to play LF in Cincy?

Turn Off Ads?