Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to the 2018 draft class

Re: Looking ahead to the 2018 draft class

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Really amazing to think that the Reds currently have the best player from the 2016 and the 2017 drafts. Hopefully they continue with that trend in 2018, even if they don't have the first pick.

Rocker, Gray, Beer or Singer would all work for me.
    Unless Homer and Finnegan both comeback on fire and stay healthy and at least one top prospect starts to show consistent success in the rotation a top five pick is unfortunately ours I fear.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-19-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Really amazing to think that the Reds currently have the best player from the 2016 and the 2017 drafts. Hopefully they continue with that trend in 2018, even if they don't have the first pick.

Rocker, Gray, Beer or Singer would all work for me.
    I am over the moon with Nick Senzel but there are a few other guys from the '16 class who might have something to say about declaring Senzel the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Kumar Rocker electric here at #PGNational. 95-98. 200 inning body. Freak athlete.

Angling to be the top pitcher in the 2018 #MLBDraft class, plus-plus velocity and name. Kumar Rocker!

https://twitter.com/johnmanuelba
    Rocker has a very smooth/effortless delivery. But even if the Reds were in the position to take him, I'd be wary of taking a HS pitcher in back-to-back years.

6. Likes:

NC Reds (06-19-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-18-2017),podgejeff_ (06-18-2017),Tom Servo (06-18-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Any relation to John Rocker?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Any relation to John Rocker?
    Would be really funny if a guy with John Rocker's history would have a relative named Kumar.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-26-2017),Tom Servo (06-18-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Would be really funny if a guy with John Rocker's history would have a relative named Kumar.
    Ha ha true that!

- - - Updated - - -

Almost certainly no direct relation:

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Rocker has a very smooth/effortless delivery. But even if the Reds were in the position to take him, I'd be wary of taking a HS pitcher in back-to-back years.
    I agree with this. I'd rather hedge my bets after picking Greene this year and take Singer. He tore up the Cape and could be the best pitcher in the SEC this year.

Not that I'd whine if we picked up Rocker. That scouting report is undeniable.

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-18-2017)

Rocker's dad played football at Auburn and was recently fired as Georgia's defensive line coach.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Looks like he's already updated that draft and moved the Reds to the #5 selection with them taking Joe Gray.
    I know it is too early to start the "watching the draft pick" thread, but the Reds have a pretty good shot at getting the #2 pick again (or #3 pick).
    We are 2 games ahead of the Padres.
    We are 4.5 games ahead of the Giants. It is reasonable to expect the Giants to play a lot better for the rest of the year.
    The Reds rotation is in a shambles, and it is finally catching up to them after the good start they had.

It is going to be tough to catch the Phillies.. We are 7 games ahead of them. But we could catch the Giants and/or Padres.

I think we are going to be picking before #5.

Note: I realize I am responding late.. At the time, we were #5..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Hudson Belinsky‏
    @hudsonbelinsky

Kumar Rocker electric here at #PGNational. 95-98. 200 inning body. Freak athlete.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Really like Rocker, but I suspect he's going to be gone when the Reds draft, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Really like Rocker, but I suspect he's going to be gone when the Reds draft, IMO.
    Impossible to know at this point, but the 2018 class looks much deeper than at the top than this year. Anyone could be there.

18. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (06-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know it is too early to start the "watching the draft pick" thread, but the Reds have a pretty good shot at getting the #2 pick again (or #3 pick).
    We are 4.5 games ahead of the Giants. It is reasonable to expect the Giants to play a lot better for the rest of the year.
    The Reds rotation is in a shambles, and it is finally catching up to them after the good start they had.

It is going to be tough to catch the Phillies.. We are 7 games ahead of them. But we could catch the Giants and/or Padres.

With the current streak this club is on that seven-game "lead" over the Phils may not be safe.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (06-19-2017)

Phillies last 10 games? 1-9, same as the Reds last ten games. The Phillies are...resilient in their being bad.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (06-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The Reds rotation is in a shambles, and it is finally catching up to them after the good start they had

I believe that going into the last two games of last year the Reds were set up to draft 5th or 6th. Then the Reds lost twice and everyone else won once or twice and since the Reds had tiebreakers they jumped to #2. Things can change quickly. I wonder how happy everyone would be with the draft if the Reds had drafted 5th.
    Last edited by DBFROMNVA; 06-19-2017 at 04:14 PM.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (06-20-2017)

Turn Off Ads?