Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

I have to think there's a pretty big incentive for both team and player to sign at or around slot. For the team it would be a PR black eye to not get the guy signed. For the player, holding out has very little upside and a boatload of risk. You're giving up 3 years of earnings, risking the chance you'll get drafted that high in 3 years, and the best case scenario is that you're drafted #1 or #2 and the value is that much greater in 3 years. But from 2013(Mark Appel, HOU, $6.35 Mill) to 2016(Mickey Moniak, PHI, $6.1 Mill) the #1 pick actually went down a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-19-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I have to think there's a pretty big incentive for both team and player to sign at or around slot. For the team it would be a PR black eye to not get the guy signed. For the player, holding out has very little upside and a boatload of risk. You're giving up 3 years of earnings, risking the chance you'll get drafted that high in 3 years, and the best case scenario is that you're drafted #1 or #2 and the value is that much greater in 3 years. But from 2013(Mark Appel, HOU, $6.35 Mill) to 2016(Mickey Moniak, PHI, $6.1 Mill) the #1 pick actually went down a little bit.
    If you're that kind of guy, you're going to a Juco and entering the draft the next year. You aren't going to a 4-year school.

I would imagine the Reds and Greene are probably in agreement on a figure but will want to do a planned announcement. He appeared to have civic commitments out west over the weekend. It would be preferable to do during the week for a greater news cycle and publicity. Issue is whether they would want it to be when the team is at home which is not until next week.

6. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-19-2017),marcshoe (06-19-2017),REDREAD (06-19-2017)

Maybe they want to wait and make the announcement after a win or, if that doesn't seem likely to happen, at least after a tie. I'm thinking Lincoln announcing the Emancipation Proclamation after Antietam because he gave up hope on the army winning another battle before the year was out. Something like that.

Sorry; I didn't sleep much last night, and I'm deep into free association.

Maybe the Reds should go ahead and bring Grant east, or at least put Meade in charge until Grant can get here. I mean, if my analogy holds up, we still have to get through Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville, and I'm not looking forward to that.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 06-19-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-20-2017),REDREAD (06-20-2017),RiverRat13 (06-19-2017),Tom Servo (06-19-2017),Vander (06-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Maybe they want to wait and make the announcement after a win or, if that doesn't seem likely to happen, at least after a tie. I'm thinking Lincoln announcing the Emancipation Proclamation after Antietam because he gave up hope on the army winning another battle before the year was out. Something like that.

Sorry; I didn't sleep much last night, and I'm deep into free association.

Maybe the Reds should go ahead and bring Grant east, or at least put Meade in charge until Grant can get here. I mean, if my analogy holds up, we still have to get through Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville, and I'm not looking forward to that.
    I think they are safe bringing Grant east. Sherman stays in the West and he's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think they are safe bringing Grant east. Sherman stays in the West and he's pretty good.
    If Atlanta starts to contend again, they may want to reconsider what they do with Sherman.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

Chip R (06-20-2017),Kc61 (06-19-2017),Old school 1983 (06-20-2017),WrongVerb (06-19-2017)

Just as a note, the club can exceed the pool limits by up to 5% when they then would a 75% penalty. If I'm calculating right, they have $682,920 in room and would face a penalty of $512,000 penalty on that maximum amount. Clubs have exceeded the pool amount seventy-four times, but none have exceeded the 5% max and lost a draft pick. Shared this in the Signings thread, but am posting it here for folks to comment if they want.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/223686...s-pick-values/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (06-19-2017),REDREAD (06-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    If Atlanta starts to contend again, they may want to reconsider what they do with Sherman.
    Has their rebuild failed? Are you saying they should just burn it down?
    Last edited by redsmetz; 06-19-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

15. Likes:

Chip R (06-20-2017),Hoosier Red (06-20-2017),marcshoe (06-19-2017),REDREAD (06-20-2017)

Mark Kolozsvary is going to be an interesting sign. Florida has three junior catchers. The starting catcher, Rivera, was drafted three picks ahead. JJ Schwarz has seen his stock drop and was drafted late. The seventh round is a point at which the Reds have lately looked to save money. Maybe they can, but I can't see how.

It's a bit surprising that Fairchild hasn't signed yet considering Billings opens their season tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's a bit surprising that Fairchild hasn't signed yet considering Billings opens their season tonight.
    Who would've guessed Waters would sign earlier (and potentially for less money) than Fairchild?

(I don't want this to be perceived as lamenting the Fairchild pick and/or longing for Waters, just an interesting observation)
    Go BLUE!!!

19. Likes:

REDREAD (06-20-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Faedo apparently had a great outing at the CWS:

Facing Texas Christian in Florida’s opening game of the College World Series, Faedo delivered a dominant start, leading the Gators to a 3-0 victory. The junior struck out 11 batters in seven scoreless innings, limiting the Horned Frogs to two hits and two walks. Closer Michael Byrne threw two scoreless innings to complete the five-hit shutout and the Gators offense scratched out just enough run support.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wonder how much ceiling the Reds cleared on the senior signs. It seems to me that in previous years there were more bonus amounts released.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think Detroit got a really nice break landing him at #18. There's certainly legitimate concerns about him, but he clearly knows how to pitch.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

23. Likes:

BillDoran (06-20-2017),Edd Roush (06-20-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I wonder how much ceiling the Reds cleared on the senior signs. It seems to me that in previous years there were more bonus amounts released.
    They'll start rolling out the bonuses here soon enough.

Turn Off Ads?